Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-08-2001, 02:29 PM   #11
SVSBoss
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

Please people I'm begging you not to wear your helmets. If you go down hard with a helmet on there's a pretty good chance you'll survive. If your not wearing your helmet you become a great canditate as an organ donor so you'll be doing the rest of the world a favor by sacrificing your life so that others may live.
SVSBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2001, 02:46 PM   #12
IceWorm
Registered Member

You wear an open face helmet when it is really hot? I don't get it. Does your face get really hard when the temp goes up.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 02:58 PM   #13
IceWorm
Registered Member

Yes, Yes, I have always wondered why these people feel compelled to relate these death and mayhem stories to us.

Like we really want to hear this 2hit when we are waking down the isle of Wall Mart.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 03:04 PM   #14
granny
Founding Member

I have had similar experiences (unsolicited horror stories about riding acquaintances dying or maimed (usually without safety gear)). It may be that folks on such quests are actually looking for sympathy. I usually just mention that life is a temporary condition and that riding enriches my life by an amount that justifies the risks involved. Sometimes they understand, sometimes not. In any event, I always wear safety gear though I have no illusion that my doing so insures I'll survive a crash. Ride safe today, ride tomorrow.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 03:53 PM   #15
Aaron
Founding Member

Default GRRRRR....

I am so tired of hearing this assinine argument! I used to buy this "individual rights" crap until I thought about the issue for <1 minute.

A simple hypothetical scenario: Suppose I hit you with my car, clearly my fault, and you bust your skull on the asphalt. Now I'm liable for $3M to pay for your brain damage, whereas with a helmet you would have walked away. Ethically, you can't blame the severity of your injuries solely on me, but legally, because you weren't breaking the law, I have no case of "contributory negligence" or the like on your part. I'm stuck with the whole fat bill, including pain & suffering and all the other "damages" lawyers use to get paid.

You do not live in a vacuum, especially in our hyper-litigious age. Also, as you already pointed out, you and I subsidize these organ donors every day through insurance premiums.

Besides, mandating helmets would remove the peer pressure not to wear them. I live in a state (UT) that buys your argument also, and *nobody* here wears a helmet -- I'd guess 1/10 overall, and less than that among sport bike riders. I certainly don't want to be the one full-face geek on the street.

I can't believe there are organizations dedicated to fighting helmets and helmet laws. Assuming they've taken even a cursory look at helmet statistics, I can only infer that their goal must be to (1) raise insurance rates and (2) furnish the world with more fresh, young organ donors.

There is no getting around the fact that society collectively bears the costs of people riding helmetless. Thus, helmet laws are an issue of social responsibility, not individual rights.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:08 PM   #16
Aaron
Founding Member

Default An example of "freedom"-from-helmet groups

[I mean to include this link in my previous post, but couldn't find the page.]

For a quick tour of the kinds of logical fallacies you need to support opposition of helmets and helmet laws, check out the Helmet Law Defense League:

http://usff.com/hldlhome.html

Reading their arguments is enough to make me want to run out and start an initiative for a helmet law right now. Is there such an investment as "squid organ futures?" These guys must all be heavily invested!
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:19 PM   #17
banda
Founding Member

And you, my friend, are a potential spelling bee award winner.

(Although probably not a grammar champion)
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2001, 04:25 PM   #18
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

Ok, let's suppose you DON'T go around hitting people with your car. Wouldn't you and I both be better off if you paid some attention to where you were driving?

If you're going to hit me with you car, why the should I care how much it's going to cost you? Screw you, you menace. Pay attention, and you won't have to pay for anyone's injuries.

Are you really trying to say that the government should require me to wear a helmet so that it won't cost you as much to run my ass down?

You're not against personal freedom as much as you are against personal responsibility. This country would do well to have a lot fewer people like you clogging its streets.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:30 PM   #19
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

Hey!

Did you know that this bulletin board automatically deletes swear words like and ?

There! It just did it again! This board is pure ! !

Now I'll have to supplement my vocabulary with less common vulgarities.
Old 02-08-2001, 04:32 PM   #20
banda
Founding Member

I think the benefit to society would be enormous if Harley Davidson owners were prohibited from wearing helmets.