Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Helmet Law Repeal Stats (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/321-helmet-law-repeal-stats.html)

ArtOfTheMotorcycle 02-09-2001 01:57 PM

Avoiding the need for helmet laws

One of the ironic things about the rhetoric of some anti-helmeters is that it actually increases the likelihood of helmet laws. All that happy horsesh*t about helmets breaking necks, restricting hearing, overheating your brain, turning you into a veggie instead of letting you suffer a quick, clean death, etc., etc. leads some of those less informed souls who believe these logical-sounding-but-wrong axioms to shun helmets in the belief that they are protecting themselves. So fewer people wear them and more people die and--more importantly--suffer devastating, debilitating injuries that could have been avoided with a helmet, and more boor-o-crats and families with dead or disabled loved ones scream for helmet laws. Don't try to talk people who might choose to wear helmets out of doing so; they are helping your cause. The simple, honest argument against helmet laws--"I don't like to wear a helmet, and I don't believe that this is the kind of country where we tell people they must protect themselves"--is the best. But don't spread potentially damaging BS to try to make a false point.

CBR1000F 02-09-2001 01:58 PM

Re: A few words from some prominent people.....

Woooooooo Hoooooooo! Thank you for the quotes. I love them, keep 'em coming.

CBR1000F 02-09-2001 02:03 PM

Re: Nope, can

ROTFLMFAO! I thought the Excursion WAS an armored car!!!

CBR1000F 02-09-2001 02:09 PM

Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

LMAO! I'm gonna use that one.

griz 02-09-2001 03:08 PM

I suppose you dont murder rape and pillage because the law does not allow it......

CBR1000F 02-09-2001 03:50 PM

Re: Why we need helmet laws

Abe Froman, PLEASE reply to this post!

Gravestone 02-09-2001 04:33 PM

Re: An example of "freedom"-from-helmet groups

Even the broken neck argument is bogus. Consider this, Evil Knievel (sp?) broke almost every bone in his body at one time or another and on a couple of occasions, most of them at once. The 2 things never happened, he never broke his neck, he never suffered a skull fracture.

huskerdu 02-09-2001 05:44 PM

Re: Avoiding the need for helmet laws

I'm 100% for use of helmets and 100% against a law to mandate it. That being said I actually got into a discussion once woth a woman who honestly believed helmets did more harm than good. Her evidence was that if your head hit the ground hard with a helmet on the impact would break your neck and she certainly didn't want a broken neck.

When she broke into that line of logic I decided it was time to exit the argument.

motorpsyche 02-09-2001 06:26 PM

Dan, take a swing at this potential situation

Dan, say you had the choice to have your head hit with a bat either while wearing a helmet or not wearing one. Would you really want to obtain data such as: bat speed, the weight of the bat, the material composition of the bat, the dewpoint of the air the bat was travleing through, the time of day the bat was being swung, etc., etc? If you were given the choice, I hope you would immediately say, "I'll choose to wear a helmet!" Getting caught up in statistics when you should be focusing on physics could cost a life here.

badger 02-09-2001 06:58 PM

Am glad to hear that he uses a helmet and I do not care why he is using it. He has found out why you need a helmet and is alive to tell other about it.

I live in Ohio and the helmet law was repealled years ago. I have been riding since 1968 and still use a helmet 100% of the time. In those 32 years ther have been two low speed accidents and my helmets were badly damaged in both accidents, with no injury to me.