Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-09-2001, 12:14 PM   #111
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default To an extent, you're right.

Of course, in areas with helmet laws, officers will not summarily execute you for failing to comply. But behind every law is that possibility, if taken to its logical end. If you don't wear a helmet, you'll be ticketed. If you don't pay the ticket, or the fine when you're convicted, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. When they arrest you, they will throw you in jail. If you manage to escape, or cause much turmoil in the local jail because you feel that you are wrongly imprisoned, you will be charged with other crimes and sent to a federal penitentary. If you try to escape from there, you will be shot.

That is the ultimate force government has behind every law in this country. Whenever you comtemplate a law, consider this: Would you point a gun at somebody and make them comply? In essence, that's what a law is doing.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 12:43 PM   #112
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Nope, can

(lol) Sure! Whatever floats your boat, just don't do it on the EPA discussion!!
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:11 PM   #113
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

"Where does it say you have the constitutional right to or not to wear a helmet? Everybodies always going on about their rights...The Governement says you have to have a license to operate a vehicle, no one about that. The govenment mandates safer vehicles,,,no one about that. "

The same place it says I'm allowed to ride a motorcycle. It's implied.

"Everyone wants the government to keep gas (crude oil) prices down...

Everyone wants the govenment to keep American Jobs,,,American.

Everyone wants the government to do something about Healthcare, the costs, prescriptions prices...

Everyone wants the government to do for them what will benefit them financially, healthwise, employment related,,, "

I don't want the government to do any of these things. To use your original question,

"Where does it say the government has the constitutional right to do something about Healthcare, the costs, prescriptions prices...

keep gas (crude oil) prices down...

etc.

I'm not too worked up over this, because I recognize the absurdity of a group sub-geniuses who drool over 150+ mph sportbikes telling me to wear a space suit when I ride.

I have health insurance, short term disability, long term disability from my employer, and medical coverage on my vehicle insurance. Medical coverage on your vehicle, by the way, only pays out when your employer's insurance quits. If we all wore helmets, and insurance claims went down, would insurance rates decrease? Wake up, Alice. This isn't Wonderland.

ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:31 PM   #114
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Right outta my mouth too.
Old 02-09-2001, 01:38 PM   #115
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Car Helmet Law OK

Car helmet laws are OK by me. I once put my head through a windshield when I came around a corner on a remote public road and encountered a boulder in the middle of the road. Car (an old MG) had just belts, no harnesses. Fortunately, I and my passenger were wearing my motorcycle helmets. The reason for this is long-winded, but the unexpected (no one ever expects to use a helmet today) results were further testimony to how nice a helmet is in that instant when you wish you were wearing one.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:42 PM   #116
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Actually...

Riders wearing helmets have fewer neck injuries, presumably because some of the shock that reaches the neck goes through the head. Maybe a helmet would have allowed him to go bolil his nuts again in Daytona.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 01:42 PM   #117
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Yes, it's sad... It's sad when people are so stupid that we feel we have to legislate against their stupidity. It's not helmets I object to... just helmet laws. I always have and always will wear a helmet, regardless of the law, but the helmet laws are just one more tiny erosion of our personal freedom that the government takes from us, one little issue at a time. I like wearing a helmet... it's both more comfortable and safer on the road, but forcing me to wear one makes it chafe just a bit.
Old 02-09-2001, 01:45 PM   #118
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Maybe he's talking about people that can't SELL helmets... you could just be "Verb-ing" the word "Ware". Whaddya think?
Old 02-09-2001, 01:51 PM   #119
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

Took the words right outta my mouth...
Old 02-09-2001, 01:55 PM   #120
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: GRRRRR....

I do! Joe Rocket Ballistic series suit (cheaper than Aerostich, and warmer, too) AGV boots, gloves, snell rated helmet... And I agree with your point about his not wanting to pay extra after running a biker w/o a helmet over.