Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-09-2001, 08:33 AM   #91
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Right to medical care?

Your reference to a percieved "right" to medical care is part of the problem. I don't remember reading that admenment to the constitution, do you? If health care wasn't considered a de facto "right" of the people, which it is clearly not, then maybe more people would take responsibility for themselves.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2001, 08:37 AM   #92
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Re: A few words from some prominent people.....

that's right...because where do we draw the line?

this isn't as trivial a decision as you make it sound (that is, whether we ask our gov't to have laws on the books requiring helmets for motorcycle riders)...

"Talk about out-of-context. I am pretty sure that Franklin had slighly more important things than your childish need to ride without a helmet, on his mind at the time."

Personal Responsibility and Personal Freedom are the same thing. Ben Franklin understood this. When you have an organization or an agency that decides what IS and IS NOT responsible for the man, you diminish the man.

So you can say that the argument is about some "childish need" to not wear a helmet. Meanwhile, I'll just sit here and know that this is about asking you, me, and all of the others out there to decide for themselves what they are going to do and take responsibility for that decision!

Be smart, wear a helmet, you shouldn't need a government to tell you that it is a wise decision. You certainly don't need a government putting a law on the books that REQUIRES you to wear one or be penalized.
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:38 AM   #93
motorpsyche
Founding Member

Default tbone

.....and the point you are trying to make is?
motorpsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 08:49 AM   #94
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: You heartless conservative!

Hi Abe. Here's an idea:

Maybe everybody should be required to carry a card showing ALL assets. Equity in a home, or automobiles, bikes, coins, 401k's, whatever. Willful omissions/falsifications in this form are punishable by mandatory jail time. This way, if the guy comes in in need of care, with no insurance, all their assets are confiscated untill the debt is paid, or a bankruptcy hearing is held. If the guy truly is insolvent, with no hope of ever paying his debts, the doctors are free to spend their OWN time and money fixing them up. How's that?
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:03 AM   #95
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Pic

piss off.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:11 AM   #96
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Pic

This coming from the guy who posted about "prpoer insurance, common sense care." Cut some slack, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:25 AM   #97
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default I beg to differ...

I am not allowed to arm myself against the potentially dangerous animals that I may encounter on a downtown sidewalk. The government seems to want to render me defenseless in that regard. Why would they have such callous disregard for my safety in this area?
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #98
bigfred
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

Best comment yet!!!
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2001, 09:28 AM   #99
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Law Repeal Stats

Moral of the story:

Don't go to Wal-Mart!!!!
Old 02-09-2001, 09:30 AM   #100
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

Default Re: Nope, can

Abe, I'm humbled..... Would an Excursion do, instead?