Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-19-2005, 05:52 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: FULL FACE HELMET GPTB!

Sometimes I don't wear ANY helmet when I am on my Hayabusa. Sometimes I wear a full face on my Harley. It all depends on what I like, and how I like. It's called Freedom. maybe you have heard of it. Too bad you don't have the same Freedom I do. Kinda sucks for you. If I really wanted to be intelligent, I wouldn't ride motorcycles at all, but I'd be in a 5-star crash rated SUV. I'm so glad I'm not very smart. I have more fun that way.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2005, 06:32 AM   #22
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I am glad you have freedumb..... How about those Bears? Won't get past the second round. Any AFC wildcard team could beat any of the NFC teams anyway. Go Broncos!
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If the Bears' offense comes around a little bit, they can beat anyone. If it doesn't, they won't make it very far. If you watched the game last night, you can see that the defense is Super Bowl caliber. If they get any help at all from the offense, I would bet they will be meeting the Colts in the Super Bowl. The Broncos won't have a chance with Jake returning to his previous form.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #24
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

"The Broncos won't have a chance with Jake returning to his previous form." Unfortunately I agree. NE and Diego having good chances to upset Indy. Broncos suck in Domes and Plumbar will choke. Seattle has the talent but not the experience. Yep Bears looked good.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #25
jfiore
Registered Member

Default Re: High Side Crash Today

As others have said previously, learning how to slide a bike in the dirt pays big dividends when you lose traction on the street. It's saved my butt a few times over the years!
jfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:15 AM   #26
smathai
Founding Member

I took out my friend's R-1 a year ago and high-sided almost in front of his house. I came to a stop at an intersection, and as I proceeded to take the left hand turn, the rear hit a manhole cover, spun up, and the bike proceeded to spit me out onto the asphalt at 5 mph. $3000 in damage to the bike, and my right hand hurt for 6 months.
smathai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #27
macmanjim
Founding Member

I know of a guy that came around a sharp turn on an unfamiliar road and saw some gravel on the road so decided to take it off road over a ditch hitting a downed tree. I told him he was a fool, as if you can't see whats in the tall grass, why would you choose to go off road? He hadn't lost traction or anything. You should have heard the hellfire I got for that. His reward was to go out and buy an Arlen Ness Signature Series Vegas. Stunad.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #28
macmanjim
Founding Member

I hadn't crashed in 17 years of riding and then crashed twice in a 30 day period. Both were low sides and due to a rear tire that needed to be replaced. It was within legal specs, but it wasn't right. 350Lb rider+575Lb bike is too much for borderline tires. I am usually very good about maintenance, and now my tires will get replaced before they reach their legal limit. Luckily I didn't break anything and the bike just got a bent brake lever and a couple scratches.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #29
Voyagerjohn
Registered Member

Jblair,

I do not think that you high sided. I think that the bike slid out from under you real fast.

Here is my experience with a high side.

This was written in the summer of 2002.

---------------------------------------

On April 30, 2002 I had an involuntary get off from my motorcycle. I was going to work, I was late so I passed on wearing my Tourmaster riding pants and was wearing my summer riding jacket which is a Joe Rocket Reactor and is armored. The jacket has 1.4 mm perforated leather arms and shoulders and the rest is the same material as the Phoenix jacket. I also was wearing my full face helmet. The helmet is, was a Nolan N100E and I am glad that I was wearing it.

As I entered the on ramp to the interstate I was in 3rd gear and was doing around 45 to 50 mph, I checked for traffic looking over my left shoulder and then.......................... the next thing I remember was like a dream. I felt the rear tire break traction with the rear of the bike drifting to the right. Then LIGHTS OUT! The next thing I knew I was on my back and two or three people were looking down at me trying to place me on a stretcher. I was out of it for about 20 minutes. I got some serious road rash on my right knee and my left knee hurt like hell and was swelled up. I broke the #7 rib on my right side and separated my right shoulder. My helmet had scratches on the face shield in four different directions, both sides had bad scrapes and my jacket was trashed, but it and the helmet saved my life if not just my face. I am still healing. I get better every day.

As to the jacket, I believe that it held up very well. I still have it though it is not usable. I had removed the removable shoulder armor cups to try wearing the jacket that way. I was still experimenting with all the options. The right shoulder of the jacket shows the most damage, it was ground through until the leather tore just above the foam pads and just below the collar. The right arm showed much abrasion but no tears. There were a few other wear points but they were minor.

My Nomad was totaled by the insurance company. Apparently when the rear tire lost traction, I do not know why, I was looking over my left shoulder and I guess that I screwed up and just let off of the gas because I think that I was slammed down on the right side. The bike high sided me really hard. It slid for 85 feet before flipping over and coming to a stop, and they told my wife that I skidded for 65 feet. Thank the Lord that I was out cold.

I never saw it coming.

Some times there is not one damn thing you can do and not crash. That's why we wear the helmets, jackets, boots and pants. And why we are always watching for trouble. It is also why we like riding so much. The thrill, the smells, the free feeling, the thrill.

I have not purchased a new summer jacket yet. I have not even purchased another motorcycle yet. But you can bet that I will get another motorcycle as soon as I decide which model that I want. As to another jacket for summer riding here in South East Texas, well I will have to go with another Joe Rocket Reactor. I will also get another Nolan N100E.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As most of you know, I did get another motorcycle. My 2003 Voyager is the best motorcycle I have ever had. I also got another Joe Rocket Reactor jacket. Most of you have seen it. I also got another Nolan helmet, except it is the older N100 model. You will not see me ride without them anymore. I did once, a short ride at lunch and it felt great not to be bundled up, but No More. I can enjoy myself better knowing that if something happens again I will have a better chance of not getting turned into a vegetable that my Brenda will have to feed and clean up. I love her too much to do that to her.

John from Liberty, TX.

Voyagerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #30
rob6118
Founding Member

In case anyone is still reading this thread I've had several bad experiences with high sides and low sides, but thankfully only actually crashed once.

Highside is when the rear tire loses traction causing the rear tire to fish tail. Eventually the rear tire regains traction, and if this occurs at a time when the rear tire is not in line with the direction of travel of the front tire it causes the bike to flip the rider over the handle bars.

My MSF course and one other poster gave me the cure to this one and that is to stomp on that rear brake to keep the rear tire locked up, don't panic, and ride it to a stop. As I've become better at handling this sort of situation I've become comfortable getting the rear tire to hook up while still fish tailing but when it is inline with the front tire. I've found that most of the time this sort of accident is panic braking induced, where the rider reverts to car reactions and stomps on the rear brake in a panic reaction causing the tire to lock up. When this happens they also revert to car reactions and immediately let up causing the high side. So in the future just hold that brake down and pray, so far its worked for me.

The low side is anytime either tire loses traction and the bike simply flops on its side. Although this may seem less violent then the highside it can be just as sudden and just as bad. This is the only type of crash I've actually been in, I tucked my front tire, and one moment I was braking hard, next moment I was sliding on my face and curling into a fetal position watching my bike with its new full aluminum exhaust sliding past me.

In the case of the front tire losing traction your only reaction is to instantly let up on the front tire and try to stand the bike up. And I mean instantly. I have had this happen a couple of times and have saved it, but if you feel that tire start to tuck, you better have god on your side and some quick reactions otherwise your going down.

Low sides can also be caused by the rear tire, commonly by too much gas, debris, too high of a lean angle, or cold tires in a turn. The solution to all of these problems are to not panic, to start standing up the bike, and maintaining smooth and continous input. In other words don't shut off the throttle just because you did a power spin coming out of a turn. Maintain ur inputs, and stand the bike up.

Difference between losing traction on the front and the rear is one causes the fear of death, and the other you can actually learn to enjoy. You can get to the point where you can control a rear tire spin (see MotoGP races with the smoke coming off the back tire coming out of turns). I don't know anybody however who is 'good' at losing traction on the front tire.

My MSF instructor saved my ass with the highside tip and keeping that rear brake mashed so I was very grateful. 2 weeks after the course I was riding and had a lady cut across 4 lanes in front of me as I was approaching an intersection. I panick braked and fish tailed a good 200 yrds through an intersection. Overwhelmingly what has saved my but in almost every case has been the fact that once things have gone wrong I don't panic (and I have a healthy does of luck). Hope the helps some of the newer riders. I know there is a couple of books published on this topic but I don't remember their titles. I read an online version of one of them and it was very helpful in hints like these in how to handle scary situations.

Rob

slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast(er) is safer ?? *grins*
rob6118 is offline   Reply With Quote