Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-18-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: High Side Crash Today

definitely not a high side ..you are describing the front wheel washing out ... a high side typically involves breaking grip at the back and then if the power is shut off the resultant snap back into line of the rear wheel causes enough force to throw you off the bike....anyhow hope she recovers ..
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Well, since everyone is giving a guess..

I'll say high side since his point of impact is the same as mine. I high sided my R1 in '99 . the face shield was all torn up, a chunk taken out of the full face helmet, and I broke my collar bone. I was making a left sweeper and hit a manhole cover, slid. landed on my face and right shoulder.. well, you know the rest.

Pete, did you land on your shoulder too? the "outside" shoulder, i.e. left turn, right shoulder . or vise versa.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
cruiser394
Founding Member

Grover is absolutely correct about the cause of high-sides and low-sides, but the fact is countersteering helps contribute to the high-side when the rear re-gains traction. If you're going slow enough, you may not crash, but above a certain speed, you're going to crash no matter how gentle you are on the throttle. The way to save a high-side is to lock the rear tire and keep it locked until you stop.

Anytime you lock up the rear and let off the brake before you stop, you run the risk of a high-side.
cruiser394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Preacher-Tim
Registered Member

It never ceases to amaze me to hear other riders always spout the mantra of "it's not if, but when you crash."

31 years, more than 400,000 road miles, in more weather than I care to remember, and never been down on the street.

Of course, I attribute a great deal of that to my years of dirt riding and learning how to crash (and how to avoid a crash) in the dirt.

I don't really think it is inevitable -- but it is always possible.
Preacher-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
usmcpistolteam
Founding Member

Long overdue ? I have been riding since 1956 and have never scratched the paint on any of the 35 bikes I have owned. One million + safe two wheel miles and more than that in a cage. I have ridden in 44 countries and all 50 states during that time, you must always be aware of your surroundings and be spatially aware of the dangers that lurk awaiting your mental lapse. Riding safe is an attitude combined with skill and just a little luck.

IMHO for what it's worth.
usmcpistolteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:43 AM   #16
fl34
Founding Member

Don't know where you live but around here (New England) my first guess would be calcium chloride..
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you want to do something differently next time the rear slides out, then stay on the gas. That way the rear tire will stay sliding longer and won't grab traction all at once and toss you over the bars. Hard to learn that unless you have done it a few times before.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 AM   #18
articulat_66
Registered Member

My wife did a similar oops recently. She was wearing armored pants. The only damage she did was to her mood. We did retire her helmet because she bounced her head on the pavement a couple of times. Her 599 got a few scratches and a dented tank. She rode on in to work and I brought her her back up helmet before she rode home.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 AM   #19
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default FULL FACE HELMET GPTB!

"Luckly I was fully suited with a full face helmet. Otherwise my chin and face would have been crushed. It riped my shield off and tore up the front of my helment as I landed straight down on my face. I am just banged up, sore, and have a nice headache."

It wasn't luck jblair, it was your intelligence. Too bad longride, Buz and the rest of the Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood (GPTB) don't wear full-face helmets when they are riding their Harleys! Must be an intelligence thing...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 AM   #20
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default My crash.

Comining home from work I went over my handle bars on my Yamaha Venture Royale at about 45 mph. Changed lanes in front of a semi and my front tire went into a hole that had been filled with asphault that cars tires had kind of waved up to the far side of the hole. Ventures were known for having a flexible frame and it literally just snapped me up over the front bars and I slammed on my right hip onto the cement. Blew my shoe off too. The semi was wheel hopping to a stop while I fast crawled off the road. Everyone stopped and help me get the bike up and I rode home white lipped and shaking like a leaf. Went and worked out at the gym and then later that night I could hardly get out of my recliner because I had a bruise to the bone on my hip. Hard to walk for a few days and 700 bucks worth of damage that came out of my pocket for that one. Never trusted that POS bike again and sold it after I got the Harley.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote