Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
thumper_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Race Schools: Keith Code or Freddie Spencer?

Well Freddie Spencer was a world champion. I do not think you will regret going to his school. He may provide further insight to your skill. Even though you may incorporate Code's style, it does not mean what Freddie teaches will be incompatible. The more aspects of riding you study, in my opinion, the more diverse your skills
thumper_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
SRMark
Founding Member

Which one of those two did they call "fast"?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
TomSmith
Founding Member

The more you learn, the better you get (hopefully). Learn different styles and techniques, get lots of practice, and find what works best for you. This works for everything, not just bike riding.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
maladg
Registered Member

Hey, fostir: you are THE MAN!

What a great thing to do for yourself!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ask KPaul. His wife has let him go several times.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

True enough, but the biggest trouble is he keeps coming back home.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
tleighbell
Registered Member

There was an in depth review of Keith's, Freddie's and Kevin's racing schools by Jason Colon (that's right but it has a ' over the second "o") in Sport Bike magazine. Unfortunately I lost the cover so I can't tell you what issue it was but I bought it around September, 2005. Most of the writers seem to be the same as on Cycle World so I assume it is the same publisher. The publisher is Hachette Filipachi Media U.S. Inc., 1663 Broadway, NY NY. Editorial and production offices at 1499 Monrovia Ave., Newport Beach Ca 92663. Phone at that office is 949/720-5300. I didn't see a contact for back issues. If you can't find it, I could fax or snail mail you a copy. Send your co-ordinates to me by email :

***leighbell@bellnet.ca where ***= tim
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #8
Tigercub
Founding Member

The best thing to do is call or e-mail Freddie Spencer or someone at the school and tell him you've been through the 14 step process at Keith Code's school and what advantages are there to the Superbike school.

FS claims to teach a system that helps you learn new bikes, and new tracks to get you up to speed quickly. It might be a complement to what you've learned already about the different components that make you faster going through a corner.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Flickmeister
Registered Member

It's my understanding that Freddie's school covers some more advanced techniques than any other school, especially in the areas of trailbraking and proper rear brake use. I went to three of Keith's schools (admittedly a while ago) and was rather unimpressed with his attitude and instruction. I felt it was really geared towards somewhat new riders (expecially to a track). I really hated the fact he runs three groups instead of two. To pay that kind of money and spend a third of your time sitting on your can doing nothing is a complete rip-off. The only thing it benefits is Keith's pocketbook. I enjoyed Reg Pridmore's CLASS school much more. They, too, were geared more toward sttreet riding. I think that Freddie's school teaches the most advanced material and can benefit anyone who rides street or track. If I could afford it, I'd be headed his way to absorb all that he and Nick have to offer. Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
orcyclist
Founding Member

I just attended Freddie's School in November. It really isn't a race school but a high performance riding school. I found out that the high performance refers to the rider as well as the bike. It was awesome, especially the ride behind Freddie. That short ride gave me huge insight to his techniques.

There were other students in the class who had attended Keith's school. Both of them indicated that the approach between Freddie's School and Keith's were radically different.

In response to some "who is right and who is wrong" questions from these folks, the school personnel at Freddie's school, including Freddie himself, took great pains to NOT badmouth Keith, his school or his methods or any of the other schools for that matter. They did say that there were some fundamental differences in the approaches taught by Keith and by Freddie. The trailbraking approach used at Freddie's School allows me to feel in greater control at all times on the bike. I don't feel that I am just a passenger at times.

The expense of Freddie's school does include the use of a 600RR for both days. (A great bike! Stable, handles great and plenty of power) I don't think that the price of Keith's school does (I might be wrong on that though.)

I got a great deal of solid understanding of chassis dynamics and how those effect the handling of a modern sportbike. There was also quite a bit of information about why the techniques taught were important out on the street in terms of keeping the bike in control and maintaining the ability to stay safe.

I have been riding for more than fifteen years but had not attended a school (I don't count MSF because of its different focus). I learned a great deal which has changed the way I ride in a fundamental way. I feel safer and more in control. I was able to explore limits that I could not do on the street.

I was extremely pleased that I attended and plan on going back for the level 2 course. (Expensive is a relative thing as I see it. Avoiding one trip to the emergency room and a wrecked bike because of training would more than pay for a lot of training no matter whose it is. Not to mention avoiding physical pain and insurance increases.

And on a loosely related matter Freddie's School is in Las Vegas and Keith's is where? Las Vegas has cheap flights and hotel rooms so the costs is reasonable in that respect. I suggest that if you go on a Thursday/Friday session you stay the weekend and have some fun.