Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: Race Schools: Keith Code or Freddie Spencer?

Give me the keys, Give me the keys. I'll drive!
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #12
Robbed
Founding Member

First, I have taken several of Keith's schools, along with reading his books. This is probably key, since I bought into what he teaches, therefore it helped me immensely.

Second, in response to comments about Freddie having been fast himself, please note that almost all teachers of any sport were not superstars themselves. This is not to say Freddie doesn't have great teaching skills, but he may have abilities that he takes for granted that Keith had to work to accomplish. I am not doggin Freddie's school, since I haven't taken it, nor have I read anything he has written. I just get tired of listening to people say "he was fast, so he knows what he is talking about". That statement is a bad approach, since most coaches in Baseball or Football were only average athletes. Quite often the harder you work to achieve something, even if you don't approach the top level, indicates your understanding of what needs to be done. If you disagree with this one, ask a true rocket scientist to explain gravity or the theory of realitivity. Most likely it will go straight over your head.

Third, review material by each, then decide. This is evident by the comment that someone really enjoyed the "Class" school, which I took as well. Since it was far earlier in my riding than the Keith Code school, I would have thought I would learn a great deal, which I did not.

Based on how much I enjoyed different countries I worked in, I believe a large portion of it depends on your attitude. Yes, I am implying that the more you expect, the harder it is to reach your goals. One clear example of this personally is how I enjoyed Malaysia more than Australia. During my stay in each country, I realized that if I had to choose a place to live, Australia would have won hands down. If you expect to learn, you will. If you expect to become an instant superstar, you will be overly disappointed irrespective of which school you take.
Robbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Freddie in Feb.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #14
Fenton
Founding Member

Those who can=DO

Those who can't=TEACH

Those who can't teach=CONSULT
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

I agree with the comment that Keith Code has his eye on the $$ no matter what.

I signed up for one of Code's classes, only to experience a flat on my way to the class. No way to contact anyone, and by the time I got my bike home, the class was practically over.

I sent Code a letter explaining the situation and asked for a refund. No way, Jose. That experience convinced me that $$ come befor anything else in Code's realm.
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #16
desertbilly
Founding Member

I was at Freddy's last month. I posted a report on the AdvRider board:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104872
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
wwalkersd
Founding Member

A few months after my return to riding (too soon, IMHO, as I didn't have the basics down), I took the three-day camp at Freddie Spencer's. About a year later, I did a two-day Level 1 & 2 at Code's. The schools are similar, but different. You won't forget what you learned at Code's when you go to Freddie's, but you will have to put it "on hold" during the class and try what they're telling you, rather than what you learned before.

I think Code's is much more street oriented, and the material is better organized and better presented. But at Freddie's, they'll teach you to hang off right off the bat, and they'll teach you to trail brake. Both useful skills, and fun to learn. Freddie is a big believer in steering the bike with your body, and Keith isn't. And the things that are the same will be a good refresher and breaker of bad habits.

Assuming you're flying there, you won't need to rent a car for Freddie's. They run a shuttle bus to their preferred hotel.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #18
drthompson65
Founding Member

If you can afford any school do it..
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #19
tokoloshgolem
Founding Member

Drive?
tokoloshgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #20
WeeBee
Registered Member

Seems to me better to do track days with a local sport group-learn it with YOUR bike. I did WERA over twenty years ago (Seca 400) and loved it, but am really looking forward to spring and Pocono with Team Pro-Motion. Since my early days I did the common progression to bigger, faster up to 1994 (FZR1000). 2005 R6 appreciated more than the Fizzer. R6 stolen this June, got a nekkid SV650 late October (2006) loved it MORE. 2000 miles in 5 weeks. Real world performance on par with the R6-the SVee doesn,t feel any less powerfull. 40-80 roll on actually a tick faster! Consider track days, the instructers are doing it more for love than money and you WILL find some very accomplished riders. Personally I would choose Fast Freddie if I went that route.
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote