Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #31
dleclerc
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Essentials

This good be a discussion on it's own, but the idea of GPS has interested me however I haven't used one. Any sugestions for a good system.
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #32
SRMark
Founding Member

http://motorcyclistonline.com/escape...3_0444_prod16/

Try this link. This Garmin system works very well but it isn't cheap.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #33
SRMark
Founding Member

I just checked Cabelas and they have the GPS V for $250.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Have you been drinking today?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #35
eddyline
Founding Member

I second the Roadcrafter; it was priceless for my 3200-mile ride this last summer from L.A. to Seattle/Sandpoint, ID loop. With the wind, your two biggest dangers are being thrown into oncoming traffic by crosswinds, and dehydration. My one-piece suit was cool enough when riding; just keep drinking water/Gatorade/whatever electrolyte drinks you like. If you're thirsty, you've waited too long. Drink more!
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #36
Bheckel169
Founding Member

I never imagined I'd get so many good, common sense ideas for my trip. Some of them were real forehead slappers, which suggested that quite a few of you have gone down the road and learned some lessons along the way and after.

At this point, I may need a sidecar to handle all the stuff you've all recommended.

Thanks, and let me know if any of you in the future happen to go by the small town of Huntsville, Utah. Stop in, say hi, have something to eat, drink or take a load off. You'll be welcome.
Bheckel169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #37
Vlad
Registered Member

OK. I third the Roadcrafter. I got the one piece and love it. Doesn't work for me when it gets over 85, but there are plenty of other things that do.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #38
Bheckel169
Founding Member

I believe you've hit on one of the key road essentials. This is the only opportunity I have to get away with a habit my wife can't stand.
Bheckel169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #39
eojmo
Founding Member

I just returned from one of my regular long distance trips on my 1150GS BMW. I rode 1000 mls on desolate desert tracks ,long,long isolated backroads,gravel roads and along the winding coast roads.This was in Australia not the US,but the traveling distances are similar. All you need is a reliable bike ,good tyre plugs and large patch kit (incase you get areal big hole)2 inflator canisters,small hand pump,levers ,small roll of gaffer tape,metre tie wire, long 6mm bolt with nut ,length clear plastic syphon hose,hydro pack or water bottle,good waterproof boots gloves ,pants and jacket.I ride in jeans and leathers but carry a good set of lightweight packable waterproofs.Remember you can always layer your clothes for warmth.If you intend doing a lot of stops and sightseeing, pealing off some of those full riding suits is a real pain in the arse.You don't need lots of expensive brand name gear,keep things simple and enjoy the ride.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote