Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #1
gear_head
Registered Member

Default Re: Vulcan 750 anyone?

Well, the two have virtualy no similarity, so the first thing you may want to do is ask yourself, what do you want to use the bike for? What do you expect to get out of the bike and riding in general? I personaly think that those are the most important questions that riders, esp. new ones can ask themselves before making a purchase. That said, The Vulcan 750 is one of the last of the functional cruisers. Not going after "the look" so much as more modern cruisers, the 750 Vulcan offers amenities that others have forgotten about, ones that you would find useful in the middle of say a week long trip.
gear_head is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
ofreen
Registered Member

My Dad has a 95 750 Vulcan. The bike has about 20,000 on it now. It has been trouble free. I've ridden it a bit. I like the engine, it has enough power to be fun. Fuel mileage is usually in the low 40's, so the range isn't too bad, but watch it if you are pushing a strong headwind. Ask me how I know.

It is a little more function over form than some of the other Japanese cruisers. That may have hurt its popularity a little because it doesn't look like a fake Harley, but I think that makes it a better motorcycle.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
BillyO
Registered Member

You`d be better off and much more pleased w/a 05 left over or nice used 1200R Sportster.

They will hold value better,handle infinitely better,and be MUCH more fun.

Do not let 1200cc scare you.The Sporty is a very good and predictable machine.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
davkane
Registered Member

The Vulcan 750 is a good choice, for more than a few reasons. As other have elude too, it is not like the current crop of cruisers, it has an 80 design which makes more functional, and it has enough power to get you in to trouble (if you choose). It has a centerstand, hydraulic Lash adjusters, liquid cooled, both a temp and fuel gauge, Tach, plus Insurance should be much more reasonable than a race bike. They handle well (obviously you should take a safety course), and don’t let any fool you, they can be tipped into corners. I like the looks of the Vulcan, but that is just me.

It is lighter than other "similar" sized cursers out there now. The only other like it still around in the Suzuki 800 intruder (now called the s50).

I have a 1984 VT700 Honda Shadow (i got it about 4 years ago with 15,000 miles on it) that I still commute daily on. It is very similar functionally and to the vn750. The reason I haven’t traded yet is because the shadow is running well. I have considered trading it in on the vn750, but no need with it still running well. I think the XL1200R sportster (2004+) is a good choice too, smaller tank however. On a side note I like the looks of the XL883R as well, which I could find a review of the 2004+ 883r...

davkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
johnnyb
Founding Member

Only the Suzuki Madura would be able to compete with u in the looks dept.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

I've owned the bike and it's fine...I also currently own a late model kawasaki cruiser. That said, honestly bro I'd stick to someone else's advice here and get a gently used 1200 sporster. This bike is often upgraded to a bigger HD model so they are fairly abundant and can be had for a fair price. The Vulcan 750 on the other hand will depreciate incredibly quickly, and sad but true to say, it will probably be your bike for the duration of its lifetime unless you're prepared to take a big hit on resale. That's just my 2 cents.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
gear_head
Registered Member

Good feature list, but don't forget shaft drive.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
gear_head
Registered Member

I don't know, I've never understood the re-sale argument (especialy when, you know, it seems like the main argument) when buying a bike but that's just me. I do know this. I refreshed my Sporster knowledge by going to the Harley website. A new 1200R in any color other than black goes for about $8,800. A new Vulcan 750's MSRP is about $6,200 and then you can consider that you can buy almost any Japanese bike for under MSRP, especially leftovers (highly likely with the Vulcan). I easily see a bike in the high $5,000 range. Again, I would think about what you want to use the bike for. If I was thinking maybe a road trip say from NY to NC, I'd glady take the shaft drive, hydraulic valve, liquid cooled, tach, fuel and temp guage, centerstanded Vulcan. Oh and it weighs about 75lbs less.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine at work has one. He likes it pretty well. It needs a windshield though if you are going to use it on the Interstates. In my experience Ksakis tend (tend, mind you) to be more user friendly maintenancewise than the other Japanese manufactrers.

He says that he wishes he had kept his old GS850G, though.

Myself, in that price range, I'd scout out a 1200 Bandit.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
gjbedna
Registered Member

Try to find a good used one...the depreciation is then a moot point. Also, get what YOU want and what will suit YOU best. Why does someone have to always suggest the Sportster?? It's apples & oranges. The Kawi is a motorcycle, the Sporrster is a tractor by any modern standard. Oh yeah, after about 50 years, Harley decided to rubber mount the engine after countless fillings had been lost. I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit filed for just inferior engineering and numb butts. But hey, they don't depreciate. Can't argue against good business practices, though. Sell an inferior product, make people want it and want to pay for it....now that's marketing!!! Although I rant a little, i'm not against Harleys...I'm for anybody that's riding. I just have my preferences, too. Motor on MORONS!!
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote