Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #11
g-bear
Founding Member

Default Re: Vulcan 750 anyone?

I have had a Vulcan 750 for a few months. Bought new, at MSRP. I am very happy with it. Like many here (and like yourself) I was also thinking Sporster 1200. I picked the Vulcan because of everything that has been said above, including price difference. Consider that if you added all the "amenities" of a VN750 (including a decent seat), you'd pay twice as much. I added soft saddlebags and the V-force windshield, small, sporty and efficient (ca. $150). The windshield makes a big difference on the highway. I am going to get a rear rack (%95 from Kawasaki) and I am ready to go anywhere. Before this I had a Vulcan 500, and I have been on 600 mile trips without a shield (I am not saying I got to my destination fresh as a rose). On the highway I used to suffer the lighter weight of the 500 (of course, I am 140lb, so consider that). The 750 seemed to me the only rational choice to move a little up in size without giving up in power. The 500 also had an unreasonably expensive belt, which did its job for 10 years but it cost $350 to replace. Here maintainance costs are much lower. Don't let usual (un)wisdom fool you. Unless you are willing to spend serious time on your bike and you have the mechanical skills, you'll end up having the dealer do your major service. In that case, water cooled engines may require more labor than air cooled, but between labor and parts, you'll save by having a Kaw rather than a Harley.

g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 AM   #12
g-bear
Founding Member

One more thing: about resale.

1) If you buy something like a Vulcan 750, it means you want something to USE. This is the kind of bike you want to pack miles on, use it in rain or sun, in rush hour and on the weekend (if you need a weekend, highway bike, why not a Harley, right?). This means you will have a bike with lots of miles and below the Blue Book value, no matter how much you care about it.

2) Try and find used Vulcan 750. You will find them, but not as many as other Japanese cruisers. Just like Crown Victorias or Broncos in decent conditions!

3) On the other hand, because they work and feel differently from what many think a cruiser should work and feel, you can still find low-mileage slightly used ones from people who got bored after a few months. These bikes will be priced $1,500-2,000 below MSRP and will not loose more than 1K in the following couple of years. I don't know what the heck people mean by resale value, unless they refer to Harleys that, for some unknown reasons, seem to sell at 2k over MSRP one year after they are out of the dealer. But that's not related to motorcycling, IMO.
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:25 AM   #13
shady28
Founding Member

Simple answer, get the vulcan.

It's very low maintenance, which means less cost and less headache. The engine in the vulcan is quite good, the bike will trounce an unmodified sportster 1200 in the 1/4 mile (the 750 is as fast as the 1500 vulcan in the 1/4 mile).

With a centerstand, shaft drive, hydraulice lifters, all you need to do is change the oil every 3000-4000 miles and ride it till it drops. Probably one of the last cruisers meant for people who ride simply because they like to ride, as opposed to the 'me too' crowd.

shady28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 AM   #14
teknoman
Registered Member

WOW!You folks really care! thanks for all the advice,I,ll probably get the vulcan as for ease of maintenance and price.See I have a lot of motorcycle friends.I have my msf license for two yrs and my friends were kind enough to loan me their bikes.[old ones] so off and on I have been riding a kawai 500 ltd,a zook gfs 500,and a klr.also rode a dyna.and a 400 burgman,and a 650 cs.So as you can see my friends have been driving me nuts!So I come to my other friends ,you folks.If any of you plan to come to vegas drop me a line here,and we will go out!Will let you know what exactly I did buy,as I am not biased toward any bike.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #15
teknoman
Registered Member

thanks for the advice...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 AM   #16
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

Basic economics

Depreciation > Monthly Payments =

Depreciation < Monthly Payments =
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #17
Chango
Founding Member

Well, since my GSX-R600 was stolen Saturday night I would be perfectly happy with any freaking bike...

Chango

Bikeless and Unhappy

Conway, AR

Old 11-15-2005, 06:05 AM   #18
teknoman
Registered Member

kill them...
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 AM   #19
teknoman
Registered Member

I intend on riding,not posing,my friends would beat me up.Even my colleague that I work with who is 5ft 2 and rides a dyna,does not pose,he rides to work most of the time,and has been riding since 1970,s bonneville,s .I am part of the baby boomer generation 54yrs old,but I fail to see why when you go thru the process of msf,insurance,payments, etc,why would you pose? I intend to pay cash straight up ,and I,m going to send my wife in there,so they stand no chance.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #20
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Sorry, man. That is so low.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote