Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle IV - Applied Theory

$6200 plus tax and license is a decent deal. BTW you've made a good choice in choosing the 650 V-Strom for your first bike. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #2
red916
Founding Member

I'm a motorcycle salesman at a four-line Japanese dealer in SoCal. This site is posted at our dealership on our sales-floor computer. We can't wait to see this!!!!!! Flame away!!!!!!
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Your "a motorcycle salesman at a four-line Japanese dealer in SoCal", and your handle is red916?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 AM   #4
red916
Founding Member

You actually PAID to see an invoice price? Dang we'll show you for free. You PAID!!??
Old 11-03-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
red916
Founding Member

Sneaky, huh? Blue ST1300 would have been too obvious.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Well it would certainly beat Pink Twinstar.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

My gut feel is that if a person is worried over a few hundred dollars, the bike might be out of their price range right from the start.

A fair price is entirely relevent only to the buyer.

A bike is not an investment. It is in most cases a toy, and in some cases, a tool.

So one has to ask; can I afford this toy, or; do I need this tool?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:37 AM   #8
RonXX
Founding Member

Has anyone out there been to Fun Bike Center in San Diego? The place is now the biggest motorcycle dealer in North America. Even when they were small and crappy, they had the ridiculous practice of adding on average $900 to the list price of a bike for 'freight and setup'.

What idiot would pay that for a bike that you can go to any dealer and get? To pay OVER retail, especially for a Jap bike, you must be out of your mind. I would not purchase a new motorcycle unless I got a 10% or more deduction off MSRP, and paid only taxes and DMV fees in addition to that. That's the attitude you need to have when you walk in there, or they will walk all over you.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

yeah i bet you would've offered that right up...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
v2-90
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle IV - need to talk about the financing scams at dealers

This whole "freight and setup" thing is becomming the norm. I'm now seeing many dealers using a "DSRP" tag on the bike. At least many bikes now have price tags on them - it always ticked me off that so many bikes at dealers didn't even have prices listed...

As the majority of dealers (at least in SoCal) start charging F&S (PMI, whatever), the pricing of motorcycles will average again (at a higher $ rate), but the costs are still known, or easily found out (e.g. the $12.99 he paid for the true dealer costs). Knowing true costs and having made a decision on what bike you want - then it's just a matter of calling up dealers, seeing if they've got your year/color in stock, and then seeing if they'll take your price. People do that with cars every day; whether they are paying cash, have their own financing, or will do it via the dealer...

(rant)

The financing issue is the real issue that I find dealers to be really shady regarding. Most streetbikes (especially sportbikes) are financed; not everyone has 10K in disposable income (especially the demographic buyer of sportbikes). People are getting charged ridiculous rates, uplifted by the dealer, on top of "fees" on the bike itself. The "points" that the dealers make on the backend range from slimey to immoral. A dealer may tell some young buyer that "because this is a motorcycle, because you're young, and because you don't have (a lot of) good credit, you're going to have to pay XX% on this loan - however, we've got you financed and you can ride away today!" What they didn't disclose to the buyer is that the XX% rate the buyer is going to pay on his/her financing has actually been uplifted by YY% over the original ZZ% that the dealer got from the financing company...

Some dealers even charge "points" up front so that the buyer can actually get the loan itself! Granted, those buyers usually have poor/sub-prime credit; but the dealer is making points (profit) on the frontend, points (profit) on the backend, additional profit on their "fees" (PMI, freight, setup, DMV, etc.), as well as profit off of the motorcycle itself.

I go to many dealers of many brands in SoCal and everytime I hear a dealer complain about how they "don't make any money off of the motorcycle itself," I just want to throw-up. I think it's really disgusting... (/rant)