Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #21
KevDog
Registered Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle IV - Applied Theory

Just to get this at a top level...

I appreciate all your help. I respect (for some unknown reason) the opinions of you MOrons.

For the location question, I am in Central NJ.

If you look at OTD price, the one on the '05 counting tax, title, etc. would have been over $7k, pushing $7300.

I've since had a call back from the recommended dealer with an OTD price on an '06 of a little less than $6800, including everything from fees to taxes. That would put the bike at about $6200, no additional freight or prep, just his profit. I told him that I would wait for him to get one in stock.
KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #22
logos1
Registered Member

Default How Hard Can It Be?

Guys, we're living in a digital age, and you're doing your shopping locally?!? That's where you do your first browsing and decision making, but get online and let your fingers do the walking! A simple search on CycleTrader showed over 40 650's available all over, with prices all over the map. If they're indeed so hot as the dealer may tell you, why do they have any left-overs after the summer and going into the next model year?

I've traveled several times to pick up a new bike and saved myself up to $1500 buying one elsewhere versus a local dealership. Hey, it's capitalism, and your money. If you want to save some of it, go someplace where they're happy to sell you a bike at your price. Don't forget to include taxes and registration costs if it's out of town or out of state in your final calculations.
logos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #23
johnnyb
Founding Member

dunno bout there but otdcyclesports.com out here sells most bikes for MSRP and that includes tax, license, everything. Get an offer from somebody like that in NJ and take it to your dealer?

PS, y couldn't a person buy a bike from Suzuki Dealer X and have it serviced at Suzuki Dealer Y? I think Y would be happy to have your $$ in spite of his hurt feelings, snif. No? Unless you're dealing with H-D or Ducati sensitive types that is.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #24
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: OTD! OTD!

Ask the other dealer what HIS OTD price is. $6800 OTD on the WeeStrom seems reasonable, see if you can get the other dealer to match it (given you prefer the 05 color scheme).

Too bad the 06 doesn't come in Suzuki blue (the fastest color.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #25
giuliom
Registered Member

Well, are you a good guy or a bad guy? One of these days I will shop for a new bike and I live in SoCal...

giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
giuliom
Registered Member

Here in Socal there are some dealers who use the out-the-door price. As someone else said, to me that's the way of doing business and I couldn't give a rat's behind whether the bike is $1 and the charges are $5,999. Can you imagine the other way applied to any other business? "Sir, the milk is 50 cents a gallon, but we add $3.95 for freight, delivery, set up, etc." Sounds pretty stupid, no? It should be OTD everywhere, then, of course, you do compute taxes and DMV, over which the dealer has no control. Also, whenever you can, join a credit union! You don't have to pay dealer's interest for financing! Get pre-approved and go in knowing you don't need to worry about that, but do NOT disclose that until it is time to buy....
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #27
logos1
Registered Member

Default Out of Town Purchase, Local Service

I've never had a problem getting my under warranty bike serviced by a local dealer even if I didn't buy it from them.
logos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #28
KevDog
Registered Member

Default Re: How Hard Can It Be?

I looked at cycletrader.com and powersportsnetwork.com, but none of them are showing an '05 in New Jersey. The only reason I knew this one place had the '05 in stock is I went there helmet shopping before the MSF course. It's the only one they've got.

I don't think your "normal" dealer would shun you for bringing a bike in for service after buying somewhere out of state. I kind of go for the idea of buying a bike and then having it serviced there, though. It's a trust thing. If the bike turns out to be a lemon, I can bend the salesman's ear.

Using the net like you recommended is what has lead me to believe that the price I can get on the '06 is a good one for this state. I've contacted 4 dealers total. Two wouldn't give me a price over the phone. The other two are within $50 of each other meaning the closest and also recommended dealership will probably win.

KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #29
Vlad
Registered Member

The V-Strom 650 is a great choice. Your dealer knows exactly what you're talking about, he just doesn't want to show you the invoice. I understand your position, but think about the dealer's look at the situation. Too many consumers think that a dealer should make only $100 on a bike and get twitchy when they find out they're paying $700 over invoice. But that's a fair number if they are doing the paperwork. So I would go with $6500 plus tax. However, that said, go for the best deal you can get. He may need to move the bikes out quickly, after all he has to pay to warehouse them and he has probably already paid the invoice for an 05.

Of more concern is finding out whether the dealership's service and parts department is worth a crap. It is worthwhile to pay a few hundred more for a bike to get access to a top notch service and parts provider. There are a couple of dealerships in the Atlanta area who play the low price game and survive on slim margins. Then again, all of their mechanics still have pimples and the girl behind the parts counter is cute but doesn't know squat. (However, some of the best parts people I've ever met were cute girls.)

Good luck. Ride safe.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #30
FrankGrimes
Founding Member

"Dealers deserve to make money. "

de·serve Audio pronunciation of "deserve" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-zûrv)

v. de·served, de·serv·ing, de·serves

v. tr.

To be worthy of; merit. See Synonyms at earn1.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it. " Bill Munny, Unforgiven

I can understand 'earning' a profit, not deserving one. If that was the case the bike would be free, cause I deserve it.
FrankGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote