Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
nweaver
Founding Member

Default OTD! OTD!

A: What state are you in?

You should be dealing with OTD prices, and OTD prices ONLY. I don't care if the dealer charges $1 for the bike and $5999 for setup, or $5999 for the bike and $1 for the setup.

A "Good" OTD price for a VStrom in CA when we bought my GFs was $6400 OTD. I think OTD price has actually gone up, as the bike ended up being more succesful (a bit of a cult bike) then originally thought. An OTD of $6700 can be had today in CA (LA Cycle Sports).

Oh, and the WeeStrom is a great bike!

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle IV - Applied Theory

I agree. MSRP for an '05 VStrom is $6699. Getting it out the door for close to that is a good deal.

When I go into a dealership, I figure they know I'm not going to pay full price. I know that if it is a desireable bike, they're not letting it go out the door for less than MSRP. I usually split the difference to save time and hassles.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
SRMark
Founding Member

What services will you need, on an ongoing basis, from your dealer? Is it worth having him around? If yes, then you are paying for more than a motorcycle. You may be getting parts availability, mechanic services, accessories, advice, friendship, etc. It's hard to tell you what is fair. Each deal is unique because the needs of the buyer, relative to the dealerÂ’s ability to meet those needs, vary with every deal.

In my humble opinion, you have chosen a very good motorcycle and will be getting it at a decent price. Relax and enjoy it.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #14
KevDog
Registered Member

That's the problem. That is not the out the door price. Well, I guess it depends on what you define OTD price as. That is the price before taxes, title and registration, which would push the price up over $7k.
KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #15
KevDog
Registered Member

Default Re: OTD! OTD!

I get what you're saying. I got a call back from the "recommended" dealer that didn't have the '05s. He said he is pretty sure he'll have a couple of '06s on his November truck. I asked for an OTD price. He put me on hold and came back with about $6800, including tax, title, registration, the whole kit and caboodle...a true OTD price. I asked for him to break it down, and he said the bike itself would be about $6200 which just included their profit over invoice, no prep, no freight.

I'm not in a hurry. So, I told him I'd wait until he got one in stock.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #16
KevDog
Registered Member

Default Re: OTD! OTD!

Oops! Forgot to answer the question.

I'm in Central New Jersey.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:36 AM   #17
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

I define out the door as everything. If tax, title and registration is over $800, that's a little tough, but not really the dealer's problem. You're still getting a reasonable price on a popular bike.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #18
KevDog
Registered Member

It would be more a toy, with time, more of a tool.

I know better to see a bike, a car, anything that depreciates as an investment.

I could pay cash for the bike, but I just like to feel like I didn't overpay. I'm my grandfather's son.

Plus, there is this whole charade with my better half of making sure she believes I got the best deal on another of my "expensive hobbies." That whole thing about taking food away from my kids thing or something.

If you want to know one of the main reasons I have my qualms, it is the attitude of the dealer. They marked up the "MSRP" to make their price look even better. Things that start off deceptively don't sit well with me.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #19
KevDog
Registered Member

The biggest portion is the sales tax, which is 6% in NJ. When you base it on $6689, that's $400 and pushes it to that $7k mark. Sorry for the confusion, but my $6200 was what I was thinking of offering them plus the miscellaneous fees/taxes.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #20
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

I'm sorry. I was too lazy to do the math myself. It's not impossible to get that price, but I think you would be either very lucky or very tenacious. As I said earlier, I don't think they'll let it go out the door for less than MSRP and probably their floor is several hundred dollars above that.