Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #81
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice I wish I had known a year ago ...

Yep I invented the phrase ....Careful the GPTB is powerful on MO.... Make sure to say 10 things positive things to every point you challege of theirs. They get grumpy if you don't sooth their egos...They do know a heck of a lot about motorcycles..though... and usually have good senses of humor.....You sound like a new member material ...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #82
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Question from a newbie

Thank you sir. I realize sometimes that I might be able to can the can so to speak, but worry about some secret EPA microchip embedded in the ECM that blows the whole dang thing up.

Now if I could just get use to the feed grinder noises eminating from the engine compartment. What racket. If a Jap bike made these kinds of noises it would signal that a catastrophic event was brewing.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #83
yoavy11
Founding Member

I'm the sales & marketing VP here at HD, and I'm telling you that these are the best bikes in the world. $10,000 would make a great down payment on a ScreamingEagle ultra classic glide, in a beautiful flaming maroon paint job. Great for beginers, 800 lb., enough power for a passenger and a trunk to put all that Harley gear we can add to your monthly payments.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #84
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

WHAT? Speak into the trumpet sonny...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:05 PM   #85
yoavy11
Founding Member

Just kidding, Harleys are "great".

My advice is get a DR200 for the first 2-3 months, squeeze some dirt riding on the weekend, some rearwheel sliding, some low traction braking. Trust me you'll enjoy it more and learn to ride much more than on any sportser - as a newbie.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #86
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Well I'd hate to have to pick up 500 lbs of underpowered upright seating aluminum and steel (plastic?) Why not a Honda 100? They be easy to throw around...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #87
yoavy11
Founding Member

Don't listen to longride, all his life savings are in HD stocks.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:31 PM   #88
bbehanna
Founding Member

I am 33 and bought a Sportster 883 Custom last year as my first bike. I had never ridden before I took the MSF course but knew what I wanted and have never regretted buying the Harley. Those who say Harleys are only for old guys are looking for something else in their motorcycling experience and, quite frankly, seem a bit closed minded if you ask me. My Sportster is a lot of fun, perfectly adequate performance around town and has proven to be a great commuter. The workmanship and quality of these motorcycles is first rate. Yes I dropped it twice when I first got started but, despite what some would have you believe, this resulted in very minor (almost unnoticable) damage to parts that are easily and cheaply replaced if I ever get around to it. The support and service I receive form my local dealer is the best I have had on any vehicle. By the way some H-D dealers offer a package that allows you to pre-pay for scheduled maintanence at a discounted rate at the time of purchase. My first four services are already paid for - I just pay gas, loan payments and insurance.

I say buy a Sportster and enjoy it.
bbehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM   #89
12er
Founding Member

650vstrom would be an even better commuter, though the inseemed challenged may dissagree.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #90
DonM
Founding Member

Wow, you are getting great advice. These guys have been through a lot.

I'm 52 and have ridden since my teens. The only time I trusted my job to a motorcycle is when I owned a Honda 550 four cylinder. The bike never let me down but back in the days of tube tires, flats were common.

Now that motorcycles are reliable we have to get together and do something about the weather. You will end up riding home in the rain at least once a month. Any bike considered for commuting has to have a windscreen to hide behind and enough luggage capacity to eat up your helmet, jacket, gloves, homework, and show-and-tell. Secure parking at both ends of the journey is a must.

As regards engine size, here in the East small bikes get no respect from cars at all. I recommend middleweights for beginners out of safety school.

A new bike is just fine if money isn't an issue. Used bikes are only for the mechanically inclined (and experienced). Bikes sit around neglected for years before they are put on the used market.

As you might have guessed I ended up with a used Gold Wing. But now I'm retired!

Ride with attitude.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote