Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:59 AM   #61
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Question from a newbie

Welcome! Hope youÂ’re enjoying all the different opinions. Please note that such dearly-held, disparate, and seemingly contradictory opinions abound in motorcycling! If you turn away from motorcycling now, you can save yourself a lifetime of this kind of BS. On the other hand, if you like BS, hereÂ’s my $0.02:

1) Start with a bike that you can total for less than the cost of replacing a scratched pipe and a broken mirror on your dream bike.

2) Don’t worry about buying all of the exotic riding gear up front (as an earlier post recommended), but be sure to budget for it. Opinions on gear are even more personal and diverse than they are for motorcycles, and it takes a while to figure out what works best for you. Start with construction boots, heavy jeans, that old leather bomber jacket in the closet, leather work gloves, and the cheapest full-face DOT approved helmet you can buy (Pep Boys sells a "Raider" model for less than $100 that scored extremely well in a recent Motorcyclists magazine helmet evaluation). Don’t worry about looking like a geek – remember, you’re riding a piece of crap bike, so you need to look then part!

Learn how to maintain and repair the cheap bike. Like earlier posts have said, the cost of professional maintenance easily offsets the savings on gas. Parts are expensive, but you might break even if you do all the maintenance yourself.

And lastly, whenever youÂ’re on the bike, keep repeating to yourself, "Throttle good, brake bad!"

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 AM   #62
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My best day on the MV is 250. I was just a little hungover from a wedding yesterday so had to cut it short.

Yosemite was incredible. We then rode across the central valley to Monterey and rode south on hiway 1.

10,000 ft to Sea level.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM   #63
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice I wish I had known a year ago ...

Last time I checked most of us GTPB types owned standard type motorcycles (if you could call a Brutale a "standard").
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM   #64
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Predictable.

Logical Flaw One

Repair rates, warranty claims, class-action lawsuits and all other pieces of information required to form an informed opinion about the reliability of a given motorcycle is available from sources other than Harley Davidson. Ergo, Harley Davidson ownership is not required to obtain this information. Ergo, an informed opinion on how reliable Harley Davidson motorcycles are does not require Harley Davidson ownership and has nothing to do with how many miles have been driven on one.

Logical Flaw Two

Anecdote does not logically equal a statistic. Owning a Harley and having a positive ownership experience means that you can speak very confidently about the build quality and reliability of your specific bike. You cannot say anything, logically, about any other bike on the road. Without information about what OTHER owners have experienced with your model, you cannot make any kind of reasonable statement as to the model's reliability. This means that ownership of a Harley is virtually useless in being able to accurately estimate reliability.

Logical Flaw Three

It is a proven psychological effect that ownership of a product inclines owners to positive portrayals of said object. Emotional, mental and fiscal investments in the product produce a feeling of proprietary ownership that incline people towards what they own. It isn't a hard and fast rule, but it is a measureable psychological effect. What this means is that Harley owners are statistically LESS likely to be objective about Harley Davidson motorcycles than someone who owns another brand. The people who exhibit this effect the worst are the people who internalize the 'values' of the brand and have difficulty separating themselves from the brands they buy.

Do you see what I mean ... Buzglyd?

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #65
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Anything before the merger doesn't count.

Blanda went in as Raider by the way.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #66
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy used

You know what happened to the guys who made this decision right?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:15 PM   #67
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

LOL. My friend says that his Speed Triple is a standard like my Thruxton. Suuuuuuure it is.

Am I allowed to ask what GTPB stands for?
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:17 PM   #68
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #69
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Buy used

Actually I was kidding about Chicago... I had fun there.... Maybe I should move there...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:33 PM   #70
Tigercub
Founding Member

I've chucked every charcoal canister. There's some real morons in the gov't.

Plug the tubes. I think they are all part of the gas tank venitilation, but make sure they aren't part of any other vacuum system.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote