Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Question from a newbie (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3097)

fyodordos 10-31-2005 07:22 AM

Re: Question from a newbie

Yo, HD - welcome. All bikes are cool.

I cannot believe the level of advice. What an incredible response.

Anyway, I guess I am grateful that after 8 or so years of riding (and 8 or 9 bikes) that I can now at least appreciate it! I always try hard, but I love bikes too much to ever be reasonable.

Anyway, my first was an BMW R850R (paid full retail). A great first bike, and it took me on some of the best adventures...until I totalled it at 10K miles, doing guess what? Commuting! Best of luck. I can laugh about it now....

You will do fine.

longride 10-31-2005 07:23 AM

Hey, loud pipes save lives, and if they can't hear you coming and it looks bad, just 'lay her down' to save the day! If you actually knew how to ride Buz, you would know these things.

mscuddy 10-31-2005 07:33 AM

Born to be mild, eh Steppenwoof?

Harleys are way cool. Ever ride one? Although I wouldn't advise one as a first bike, they're just as good (or better) than anything else out there.

Let the flames begin...

sarnali 10-31-2005 08:04 AM

illiterate snot-gobbeling toad.

sarnali 10-31-2005 08:09 AM

that's the most important part. You know buzz, since you're down wit' the set there at MO you should have sean incorporate that into each road test. Acceleration, Braking and Lay her downablity.

sportbikebandit 10-31-2005 08:27 AM

Buy used

After learning the hard way, buying a new 600 Supersport, I have to agree with folks who suggest used bikes. I would look at used Japanese cruisers and standards. That way if you drop it or crash it no big deal. You also put all of those slow training miles on something that isn't worth much. Even a used Harley is probably a better deal than a new one.

sportbikebandit 10-31-2005 08:29 AM

Good post. I agree also bike tires are expensive and don't last long....Excellent analysis

Tigercub 10-31-2005 08:54 AM

If you like Harley's then buy a Harley. They are great road bikes, easy to ride and won't get you in trouble like a 600 Supersport-type bike.

And when you are ready to sell it you'll likely not loose any money on it.

The new Sportsters have all the power you will need for a long time. The motors are rubber mounted and should be smooth enough for freeway touring.

We have a guy at work who bought a Yamaha FZ1 for his first bike. He's very conservative and has huge fat chicken strips on the back tire. He's never had an accident and treats riding in traffic with all the respect it deserves. I predict he'll have a long and enjoyable riding career. You will too.

Buzglyd 10-31-2005 09:10 AM

Maybe Honda should have designed the Gold Wing airbag to pop out of the side instead of the front.

Buzglyd 10-31-2005 09:10 AM

I managed to cover 200 miles yesterday on the Brutale. Got any Advil?