Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2005, 05:23 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Question from a newbie

I agree with what Rubble says above. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get a better 4 wheeled vehicle to suit your needs. And get what ever bike you like. Just don't do it under the guise of saving money. Since Harleys are expensive, you don't want to buy one and then scuff it up. Learn to ride first on something light and cheap. I'd go with an XR100 or CRF230 (electric start) if you have any desire at all to ride in the dirt too. There is no better way to learn how to control a bike. If dirt don't get it for you, get a throw away beater bike like an old Kawasaki or Suzuki twin standard. Then ride it a lot. You'll save a bit on gas too. When you go to get your Harley, be careful. It will at first feel like it is turning through molasses. Sportsters do handle ok (thatÂ’s all that Harley offers in your price range) they just react slower than the bike you've been practicing on. Another session at an MSF class would be good for you at that time. Have fun and don't dare do it with the expectation of saving money.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2005, 05:47 AM   #22
steppenwoof
Registered Member

harleys are junk.......do yourself a favor and get a suzuki sv650....
steppenwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Just don't put drag pipes on the damn thing.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You forgot to tell him he also needs to learn how to "lay her down."
Old 10-31-2005, 06:39 AM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You can take it or leave it but here's my suggestions:

Buy an HD as a first bike and you'll probably start to hate motorcycle riding (after you eat it and break the first of many bones). HD parts ain't cheap either. And they're a ***** to pick up once you've dropped 'em.

Buy an old small Jap bike that you won't mind crashing a few times and bending up.

After you get some saddle time in (about 6 months) then go out and git yo Harley. Even better a Buell.

'been ridin' on the street for about 30+ years BTW. Started off on a Taco minibike at age 9.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 AM   #26
ntschwartz
Founding Member

I'm 33 and just got my first bike. After much research i got an SV650N and love it. I ride at least 250 miles a week, and haven't had any problems. Practice on slow streets, ride your ride (not your friends), and enjoy. I've kept my budget under 7k so far, but it would be harder on a harley. I "needed" a new bike, and am very happy i got it. I do all my own work so far, and that makes life all the better.

Noah

05' SV650N
ntschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:00 AM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

Listening to Morons can be maddening, huh? Basically, any mid-90's Harley would do you fine. Look for gasket leaks at the valve covers and base gaskets. If none your great. You can pick up a decent Softtail or FLH for between 8k to 12k if you buy off e-bay. Personally, I'd get a nice Yamaha Roadstar model for around 8k-10k and buy a '01-'03. Don't think you have to blend to ride. Outside the box buy a Moto Guzzi California or a BMW R-1200c.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:01 AM   #28
Flickmeister
Registered Member

The problem with a Harley, especially the 883, is that they offer relatively poor performance for a rather high price. If you are into the Harley image, then only a Harley will do for you. If you are more interested in having fun with a far more capable bike, I'd suggest the standard (not "S") Suzuki SV650. It's performance in every aspect of riding: engine, transmission, handling, reliability, will smoke any Sportster. It is also very inexpensive considering what you get. It has been awarded "Best Bang for the Buck" by a couple of magazines for the last few years. It is also a V-twin, so you will get to have the "V-twin" experience. You should be able to find a good used one at a very reasonable price. I think you find this to be a very satisfying introduction to motorcycling. Afterwards, if you still want a Harley, I would consider the Evo models or V-Rod series. You might also want to check out the Victory line of bikes before you lay down your hard earned cash for a Harley. They look like custom bikes and have one terrific motor. Very impressive. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I figured you'd be more of an Ark guy.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 AM   #30
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

If HDshane only pays attention to one post I would hope that it's this one. I've been riding all type of bikes for over forty years and couldn't have come up with any better advice. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote