Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 AM   #11
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Question from a newbie

I hope you like stopping for gas. (Warning: Math ahead with mucho assumptions made!) If you're spending $90 for gas every week, that's 30 gallons at $3/gallon. If your SUV gets 15 mpg, that's 450 miles = 90 miles per day. If you get the Custom Sportster, you get the "big" tank and can fill up every other day -- if you get the standard, then you get the peanut tank and will fill up daily. This will get old VERY quickly. So get the Custom.

With the miles you plan on doing (over 20K per year if you park the SUV), you really ought to expand your choices. There are better "mile-eater" bikes out there than a Sportster. Just setting up the Sportster for proper communting (windshield, bags, seat(s), throttle lock, crash bar, highway pegs, etc.) will be big $$$.

If I were you, I'd figure out what my requirements were and THEN pick a bike. How many miles will you travel a day (highway/city)? What are the roads like? What's the winter like where you live? How much stuff do you have to carry to work? How much weight can you really handle as a novice (answer: not much)? How high can the seat be? Picking a bike and then forcing requirements on it doesn't often result in bliss.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2005, 02:40 AM   #12
tumbler
Founding Member

I really wouldn't start out on a new bike, especially one as heavy as even a sportster. People drop bikes, newbies drop more often. If you are set on Harley I would recommend find a buell blast to ride for a year. They are made for learning. Light weight, low seat, and most importantly supposedly indestructable. Harley used to have a program where if you bought a blast in a year you could get full price of the bike new in trade-in value when you bought a harley. I don't know if they still do that are not, but you might ask a few dealers.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 AM   #13
tumbler
Founding Member

Damn ignorant, no English speaking jacka$$. I mean: I don't know if they still do that OR not...
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

HDshane get the bike that floats your boat, take some classes, and be careful. Chances are you will do just fine. The Sporty is a decent bike that can grow with you as you get better, or want to change the type of riding you want to do. The trouble will come when you think that you have become the bike's master. Then the bike will bite you on the ass until you show respect again. I also wonder how a guy that wants a Harley is only 29. Everyone here on MO says that Harley only appeals to old baby boomers, and Harley is out of touch with what younger guys want. Maybe HDshane aged prematurely, and is gray and has a ponytail.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:12 AM   #15
BillyO
Registered Member

Forty one years of riding here.Sixty years old and still love riding through New England country side.That said,I would recommend the Sportster 1200R model.I owned one-04.

Great all around enjoyment.

Presently spend my time on a FXDX Sport and ST2 Ducati.Both a little too much for a new rider.Not because of speed,just not slow enough.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:20 AM   #16
kihei
Founding Member

Location: Gilbert, AZ - A suburb in the east valley of Phoenix.

Welcome. . . .

Ride what you can pick up if it falls over!

Ride as though the cage driver is going to do something stupid. . . .because he or she will!!

When you ride, wave at every bike rider since we all belong to the same institution!!!

Ride safe, ride long.
Silver 2002 SV650S
BMWMOA 45617
AMA 576082
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:06 AM   #17
Whatmough
Founding Member

If you're 29 and have your heart set on a Harley you're most likely going to buy one. From my experience I find the sporty a bit top heavy; but plenty of bike. How far do you ride to and from work? You might want to find a used glide or low boy, although I don't know if you can get them for 10k. Honda, Kawi, Suz & Yami have entry level cruisers for 10k and less; but all your buddies will know it's not a Harley. Most however won't. So if you want a bike to look good on the street go for the Harley. If you want a bike for comfort and miles get something else.

What do you really want the bike for? If you want to put on a lot of miles and be comfortable try a smaller bike with better all around capabilities. there are many out there.

You're still probably going to get a Harley so ride a few first. Dealers have demo rides. You might want to take a friend along who has some motorcycling experience.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:09 AM   #18
tarheelbob
Founding Member

"It is important to become a student: learn, study, apply, relearn etc."

Best summary of advice for a newbie I've seen. The learning never ends and is part of enjoying the journey. Great advice.

tarheelbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:37 AM   #19
Rubble
Founding Member

Don't try and fool yourself or anyone else with the idea that you are going to buy a bike to save money on commuting. After the cost of the bike comes the riding gear, then come the chrome bits (you are talking Harley after all). Then comes insurance. Then come the repair bills because you dropped the new , heavy bike and you couldn't ride it with scratches and dings. Then comes the hideously expensive dealer maintenance, then comes the second bike because you didn't listen to the people who told you to buy a small older bike to learn on and you realised that while the Harley looked great it wasn't really the commuter-mobile you thought it was. etc; etc; etc. The budget of ~ $10,000.00 just went to ~$20,000.00+ (seriously it will!!!) Before you even put a drop of gas in the new HD tank you have blown about 4 years worth of SUV fuel.

Learn to ride first. Then make sure you have fun on a bike. Sometimes the lifestyle that is force-fed to us is not all that it is cracked up to be in reality.

I went through motorcycle training with a young woman who had all the right gear - wild helmet, full leathers gloves, boots, etc. She had ridden on the back of her boyfriends sport bike a couple of times and was just about to close the deal on a new R6. She was a sport bike rider through and through. By noon of the second day - this was a 4 day course - she had quit and lost her deposit on the new bike. She like being a passenger - absolutely hated, hated, hated actually riding a bike.
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:58 AM   #20
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Sportsters

I demo'd a 1200 Sportster and loved it. I ride a 97' Electragide Classic and have a Buell Ulysses on order that I'll get towards the end of November. Anyway, the 1200 is a very nice bike and personally I'm partial to midmount controls because I like the ability to stand up on the pegs for more control when needed. That is from my old trail bike days back in the 60's and 70's. Don't let anybody tell you that you should get a HondaYamahaSuzukiKawabungi bike instead of a Sportster. Harleys are great bikes and very reliable. Go for it and have a blast.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote