Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 AM   #101
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Question from a newbie

>If youre focused on Harleys you could do

>worse.

No he couldn´t do much worse. Basically H-D has three models and by focusing on those he disqualifies 99% of all that wonderful variety that the motorbike world has to offer. And he does this even before he knows anything about anything.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #102
eddyline
Founding Member

HDshane, if you're seriously thinking about commuting 24/7/365, get an aerostich suit, in the bright neon yellow--people are so disgusted by the color that they stop being aggressive around you(not a hard and fast rule)--or they think you're a fireman....

But seriously, it's got all your protection when you include back and hip pads, and you can then add other gear as you like: separate jacket, pants, etc.

Helmet: get the one that FITS. If it's DOT/Snell approved it doesn't matter the price(so they say...). That said, Arai fits my head best; some like Shoei, some like Nolan. Some say Schuberth, but that's real $$$$.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:51 AM   #103
BikerMom
Registered Member

Most of the folks on this forum have a lot more experience than me. I have been riding for a little over 2 years. I took the safety course, too, having never, ever ridden a motorcycle or atv or anything.

I figured after the safety course I was ready to ride anything, so I grabbed my husband's 1985 Honda 500cc V30 Magna, rode it to the first stop sign & dropped it.

As a rank beginner myself, I STRONGLY (I shout again STRONGLY) advise you not to get a great big bike for your first one. Also don't get a new one.

My first bike (after dropped the ill-fated V30) was a 1978 Hondamatic CB400. I found there's plenty to learn about riding, even with a small, automatic transmission bike.

I know very little about fixing bikes, either, but I found with a bike that old there are plenty of backyard mechanics who can keep it running. Also, don't worry about making it run perfectly. My CB400 made a lot of clanking noises it shouldn't have, but with a new battery it started every time & ran OK.

After 8 months I got a 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I was ready for it. Had a lot of fun for a year and a half, then got my current 1997 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.

I live in Sturgis, & have seen & heard a lot about Harleys. I have also test ridden a few. I find them to be very poor handling. As a beginner, I can't see spending a ton of money for a bike that is so hard to ride. I also see a lot of newbies on Harleys. They account for about 90% of the fatalities at the rally.

I didn't buy a motorcycle as an investment, or to look cool. I bought one that I could ride trouble-free, because I like to ride.

End of story.

Wendy

Sturgis BikerMom
Old 11-01-2005, 04:20 AM   #104
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice I wish I had known a year ago ...

Me too, damn I just bought it. Here I've been buying bikes over the years because one particular brand or model caught my eye or I felt it was most suited to the task at hand. I did read up on models I was interested in before hand so I'm not a total *****-up, but still I didn't take other peoples opinions into full account as directed I just went ahead and bought them anyway. Now I'm stuck with a new Harley I'm having a ball riding and even though it's got quiet pipes on it my neighbors are going to have me thrown out. I'm assuming they'll find a buyer at full market value, minus the cost of recording and sound measurement equipment of course.

I can't go on....I think motorcycles like anything else I suppose are an emotional purchase, either it's in your blood and you buy and ride what you want irregardless of other peoples opinions, or you approach it like an engineering problem and taking all the fun and emotion out. What ever flips your switch I guess.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 AM   #105
beetsme
Registered Member

Default Re: Buy used

Good advise all around, take your time, learn to ride safely, maybe buy used till you find the bike that suits you. For serious day to day commuting, you need to log some time in the saddle. I have never ridden a Harley, been riding steady for 35 years, they never appealed to me for all the reasons stated above. I checked out a history of Harley video from the library a couple of years ago, made by Harley. They described Harleys as "recreational vehicles". I had never heard of a bike being called a recreational vehicle, to me it was good transportation, a great way to see the country, a little cheaper mode of transport. Guys who put miles on their bikes tend form a bond with their bikes, probably the same way cowboys do with their horse, a trusty traveling partner. Anyway, get your license, learn to ride, make sure you really like to ride, not just like to be seen riding!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:54 AM   #106
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Good advice mom.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:56 AM   #107
svo68
Registered Member

sarnali is right.........stay out of the center of the lanes!!!!
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #108
joyce
Founding Member

HDShane I am also very new to riding having gotten my license in May 05 and bought an 1985 Honda Sabre. I actually looked seriously at getting a Ninja 250 because of all the reports on How "fun" iit was but alas the riding position was not for me because of what high school sports have done to my knee. MY bike is a 700cc. purchased for $2000. In hindsight the motorcycle could of been gotten for less from a private individual. Plenty of power for commuting. I know I am going to be getting a different bike in a year or two. I assume you have sat on a Sportster to see how comfortable it is. Sit on other bikes.

I say get what you want as a bike although I am not fond of the "harley" look even though I live in the Milwaukee. I think we need to see more Harley riders like you that are willing to wear protective gear.

Get a bike ride and learn. You are not saving money. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. All these responses/advice that you have gotten are excellent. But we all have different learning curves, likes and dislikes and so in a year you may be quite happy with your bike or not. But you are the only one that is going to know that. All these guys/gals have gone through a learning process as to what kind a bike and gear they want. And you have to do the same.

oh one tip you don't have to spend 500 on a helmet to get a good helmet. I've got a AC-11 Hjc and it was about $200 and it is nice. But on the other hand those helmets in the 500 range are so cool looking.

Have fun and read this MO for there great info and the great banter(esp when Harleys are mentioned). I would love to go out to a bar have drinks and listen to these guys. I would even buy a round. Joyce
joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #109
jeffs
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice I wish I had known a year ago ...

The only problem with this is that #1 often hurts the chances of #2 actually happening - especially with new(er) riders.

Learning from your own mistakes often leads a new rider right back to their cage.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:52 AM   #110
jeffs
Founding Member

Here's a question for you...

If this is the only bike you've ridden, how can you accurately assess it? If it was the worst commuter bike ever made you wouldn't have a clue...

Not trying to criticize, just making an observation.
jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote