Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #91
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice I wish I had known a year ago ...

Why did you change your handle again? I thought we voted to shut YOU up, not your old handle. You were quiet for a while, but not lately. Just a little proactivity on my part as I see your old habits coming back full force. Please ride more, post less.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #92
DonM
Founding Member

Default Re: Question from a newbie

Hey, my wife says I look very extinguished.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #93
yoavy11
Founding Member

Don't listen to longride, all his life savings are in HD stocks.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #94
yoavy11
Founding Member

Don't listen to longride, all his life savings are in HD stocks.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #95
mhosch
Founding Member

Extremely good advice. You can ride a motorcycle to work, but it's clearly a harder way to go than a car. If economics is a major concern, absolutely, without a doubt get a very fuel efficient car, ie., civic, corrola, cobalt, focus, etc, any of the hybrids or diesels.

Believe it or not, like he said, they will cost less in the long run. Much cheaper to maintain, almost as efficient. Check out bike tire prices and longevity alone...

mhosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #96
HDshane
Registered Member

Wow. I can not tell you how much I appreciate all of your input. So much to think about. I wish I had all the experience floating around here. It seems very important to practice and practice and practice and to avoid getting arrogant about the skills I might gain. I will take this advice to heart and make sure I assume no one sees me and always have a plan for getting out.

So now I have 4 more questions.

1.Any more good books I can get? Drills I can run when I get the bike? I want more info, and more good sites!

2.So here is my utter newbieness. What was meant by throttle is your friend, brakes are not. ???

3.Some say spend a ton on gear, some say get what I can afford. Until now I planned the purchase of the bike after getting a $500.00 Helmet (Christmas money and bonus check) and the $300 Joe Rocket jacket. Which means I will not be buying the bike until late December or early January. So which is it? Get the expensive stuff and ride later or get what I can now and buy the bike now. Seems the answer is you get what you pay for. Right?

4.Does maintenance really offset the savings on gas that riding bike might help with? If I do my own will that help? Even if it costs more, I made my mind up, I want to ride.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the info. This site rocks, and dudeÂ… bikers rock!!. Seriously you guys are so good about sharing wisdom.
HDshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:51 PM   #97
laidbak
Founding Member

First on gear, Get proper riding jacket with elbow/forarm & shoulder armor. If you fall off you dont want to break or ruin your elbow joint dont use the "bomber jacket" in your closet, the leather will protect from road rash but asphalt impact at speed is a b*t*h. Get decent over ankle boots, not "workman" type boots, when you put your foot down wrong and the bike moves unexpectantly, dont ensure that you will twist your ankle and tear ligaments and tendons because the "workboots" do nothing to augment your ankle joint as the only mesure of torsion resistance while trying to handle a 500Ib bike. Get propper gear!!! Full fingered gloves w/ padding, "draggin" type jeans, rainsuit (you will get caught in the rain).

Absolute best bike you can get for starting out with tasks of commuting and type of traffic movement that mimics your daily drive in my humble opinion is the Suzuki SV650. Comfort, control, cost, reliability, and it's a v-twin.

Keep it for 6-months, that should be time enough to familiarize yourself with the "new" senses that come into play when your are a motorcyclist in a sea of cagers most of whom firmly believe you have no business or right riding on the same road as themselves. Gives you time to be familiar with the open road environment and all it's hidden pitfalls that await (road debris, handling on wet or badly maintained roads, foul weather riding, developing situational awareness and defensive riding, those dumbass deer, etc).

When you physically and mentally have exposure to all of this then get your dream bike.

Might I suggest a Triumph Speedmaster, best middleweight cruiser imho. Again if you intend to employ a bike as a viable alternative to using your car I'd suggest keeping the Suzuki sv650 but by all means add your dream bike to your stable, but the suzi by far is the bike for the everyday task, kinda like a 4-cylinder honda accord as opposed to the Hummer H2 (harley).

"ur using that just to go and get some skittles?"
laidbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #98
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Practice some of the MSF drills on your Harley (I think your heart is set on one) in a parking lot. That way it is second nature when you get on the street. Especially the braking drill Sometimes the best way to get out of trouble is to twist your wrist. Speed and agility is your motorcycle's advantage sometimes. Like when there is a panic stop by a bunch of folks ahead of you. Yes you should use the 2 second following rule. But sometimes I have checked my mirrors to see some SUV barrelling down the freeway unaware of everyone stopping. Best to get the hell out of the way. i.e. Change lanes and accelerate...

My Shoei RF1000 cost under $400 so I don't think you have to spend $500 to get a good helmet. Buy a full face though. avoid the tempation to get the usual cruiser helmet. Most people land on their face...

Have fun. Welcome ....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #99
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

I already kicked in with my 2 cents worth, but what this guy is saying makes a lot of sense. Sell the SUV, screw the Harley, get a good clean used civic, and spend three or four grand on an SV 650. Ride it because you want to. Now is a good time to buy because riding season is over and reality is setting in over large parts of the country. Even out here in California, you gotta be pretty dedicated to ride much in the winter time.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:07 PM   #100
KLRer
Founding Member

Buy a Harley or Buell to start:

If youre focused on Harleys you could do worse. They're doing something right, you can be sure of that. The Speedster 883 is not a bad bike at all for the money. Noisy maybe but not bad. I'd counsel you to at least tap the brakes for a while until you check out some other 1st bike candidates: the Kawasaki KLR 650 if youre tall, the Yamaha XT225 if youre not. If you want a bike you grow into, as a young lad of 29, maybe the Suzuki 650 standard. The worlds wide open when youre 29, just buy one and get started. You'll be into a faster machine within a year or two.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote