Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Winter Motorbiking in Snow

I have some experience riding in the snow in Chicago traffic, and it's something I never want to do again. I would recommend getting a good health insurance policy.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
johnnyb
Founding Member

there was a mpeg on internet a few years ago, some guy in some scandinavian country i think with studded tires on like a ZX-10 hauling bootay on a frozen lake someplace. Axe him.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
2cndeh
Founding Member

I used a dual-purpose XL-250 with enduro tires with sheet metal screws in each knob. Worked well, but was totally illegal. You might be able to stud a knobby or enduro tire. I think a street bike would not work nearly as well - wrong tires, and I needed flat track style cornering, which would be harder on a pure streetbike.
2cndeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
SuperBill
Founding Member

Try the 360 as-is with good street tires. It doesn't take long to get the hang of riding in snow or slush - practice on no-traffic back roads until you get the hang of it. Wear good protective gear and explore the limits of the bike with the usual avoidance maneuvers. You'll crash a coupla' times, but it will be at reasonably slow speeds and sliding on snow doesn't hurt you or the bike that much. And your 30-year-old bike limits the downside on your wallet.

Fresh ice is a problem. It's almost impossible to negotiate slick ice in traffic on a street-legal machine - plan on cooling your heels in a Tim Hortons until the sand truck goes by. Also, watch out for those nice, sunny winter days when the roads dry up everywhere except where there's shade. You'll be amazed how little you can do when you hit a 100 yard stretch of glare ice in the shade of a fence row of pine trees.

All that said, the deal-breaker for riding on or during frozen precipitation is traffic. You can never stop at an intersection without worrying about some jerk in a cage losing traction and rear-ending you. Even if you see it coming you may not be able to find enough traction to get out of the way quick enough. Best bet is to buy a "winter beater" cage for the days when the roads are covered with the white stuff, and save the 360 for the sunny ones.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

I've got caught out a few times, the last time was coming home from work on my Trophy. I made it to within a mile or so of my house when a city bus lost it in a corner and slide past throwing 1/2 a ton of slush in my lap, couldn't see sh*t plus my bike gained about 100lbs of weight on the windshield and me.

We hit snow at the top of the pass the other day but the roads were just wet. If you're seriously thinking of riding in snow on the street, make sure your insurance and medical coverage is up to date, you'll probably need them.

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #6
ofreen
Registered Member

I rode from Ely-Eureka-Carlin-Elko NV on my PD on a memorable Mother's Day a few years ago, slush and snow all the way. What made it tolerable was that I saw only three other vehicles the entire way. It is surprising how well a motorcycle can go in such conditions if you haven't tried it. But - It is nuts enough to share a snow or ice covered road in a car in traffic with all the incompetent idiots out there. The only real self-defense you have on a bike when somebody does something stupid is whatever you can do with the traction you have, whether it is braking, swerving, or accelerating. To ride a motorcycle on a snowy or icy road with traffic strikes me as the height of foolishness. But maybe it is different in Canada.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

ural had a sidecar unit that would do the job. how are trikes in the snow ?
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
eojmo
Founding Member

Unless youÂ’re a masochist, donÂ’t bother. IÂ’ve ridden in snow, fallen over and been unable to get off the bike because I was frozen stiff,and gone arse over on black ice. One time I was trapped against the kerb when a semi trailer slid down the iced up camber of the road. Even if you manage to stay upright, itÂ’s no fun watching the other vehicles sliding towards you. Plus ,bones break real easy in freezing temperatures.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:50 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Dirt riding in the snow is quite fun, and there are a number of solutions to the traction problem.

Sheet metal screws in the knobs work well until they pull out....and they WILL pull out, even if you glue them in.

Automotive studs work in light snow and ice, and may be OK for the street. I wouldn't push it though.

Winter friction spikes are also available, but they are not cheap, and I wouldn't go near the pavement on them:

http://www.winterstuds.com/new/main_body.htm

Here's a link to the picture of the GSXR on ice:

http://www.bcmducati.com/

Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 AM   #10
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Put the bong down.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote