Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 AM   #11
Zakman
Founding Member

Default Re: Winter Motorbiking in Snow

I used to ride all winter in the snow 100 miles south of Chicago. I would wrap short pieces of 1/8" cable in a figure 8 pattern around the tires and spokes of my R75 BMWfor traction. It worked great. I would run a TeraPlane sidecar sometimes. Sidecars are the most fun in the snow because you can steer with acceleration or deacceleration as well as with the handlebars.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #12
iamz
Founding Member

I got caught riding in snow all the way out of Yellowstone this September (From Grant Village out the East entrance/Exit) It took about 4 hours and was a mix of snow, slush, mud and slush/mud/water filled pot-holes for quite a few miles. They are completely rebuilding that entrance and most stretches no longer had pavement (or guard rails). I thought I was home free after that only to get caught in the Bighorns with even more snow. Had to deal with 2" of accumulation on the road and it was coming down so heavy that I had to keep swiping my face sheild about every 10 seconds just to see the road. I found that if I drove about 20 mph I wouldn't have to lean the bike over in the curves and as long as I didn't use the brakes or try to accelerate I was fine. I actually never did use the brakes until I got out of the snow.

I was extremely glad to be on my DR650 with new tires more orientated to off road riding when I got caught in all that crap.

I agree with longride and sarnali about the insurance and would add a good life insurance policy if you are married or have kids.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 AM   #13
SRMark
Founding Member

Get an xr100 and wear skis.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:18 AM   #14
gjbedna
Registered Member

Time for some "real" advice.....do it but prepare. Get a Bruno Wessel stud gun, put in the carbide street legal studs on your enduro tires...no street bikes please. My Valk stays parked when there's ice around. Use a dual sport/enduro bike and gear up properly...get electric stuff if needed. Go ride, slide, & practice. Join the ranks of the truely insane, wear your carbide studs with honor, and still save money on gas!!!
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:41 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Hey! I found this on MO!

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdirt/ice2.html
Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #16
teknoman
Registered Member

Man,I have ridden that route in june,You are a brave soul! My advice to the person,just don,t do it.You can see every letter her has some trepidation about doing it.That,s what cars are for.
teknoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #17
svo68
Registered Member

I have great experience doing it in snow and ice in BC. I'll send you a copy of my x-rays for the broken tib/fib I got as a present.

Go for it
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #18
caderider
Registered Member

Anyone try attaching, or have seen someone else attach, a ski to the front of a modern trike or sidecar rig? I saw an old photo of a harley sidecar rig with chains on the rear tire and a ski up front... Looked doable to me...
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM   #19
eddyline
Founding Member

Aerostich sells the tool
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

I don't think God intended man to be in the same environment as water in its solid phase.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote