Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
afcop750
Registered Member

Default Re: General Opinions And Thoughts

if aches and pains are your concern stick with the FZ1. modern sport bikes are pretty much no comprimise for comfort. if you want sporty start with a 600. the RC51 is a very precise machine-and race ergonomics so dont thing it would be the best machine to enter the sporting world.

if you get a discount on hondas get the VFR man. that is the best al round bike around and is plenty sporty plus can take you cross country.

FZ1 or VFR

first post.....
afcop750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Zakman
Founding Member

Get a naked SV650, the worlds most wonderful motorcycle. The key to telling which bikes are the most fun is how hard are they to find used if their sales numbers are fairly high. Look in the used bike adds and if the majority a particlar model bike is being sold in a couple years with few miles then it wasn't very much fun to drive. If there are bikes with lots of miles in a few years then they are the ones whose owners just couldn't stop riding, too much fun. The ones that their owners aren't selling at all are the most fun.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
wOzerd
Founding Member

Hey,

I'm banged up too! Find out what a level 4 AC seperation is and thats just for starters! Add in the artheritus and hardening of the arteries and all the "high speed motorcycle parking" incidents and, it's tough to get moving in the morning. I am 58 and have a 02 RC51. Here's my warning to you: Buy one and every road within 200 miles suddenly becomes arrow straight. You head for your favorite set of twisties and catch yourself wondering when did the DOT get rid of the curves? I wouldn't go touring on one but, a Corbin seat and dood! You're there! I added a PcIII and a set of Leo Vinci cans. Throw on a set of Diablo Corsa's and life becomes nothing more than a waiting period between track days. One other thing, giving "track day" photo's to the grand kids for X-mas is akin to giving them socks and underwear! (found that out the hard way)
wOzerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
afcop750
Registered Member

hey I just suffered a level two seperation 18 days ago. the doc said 3 but I have looked on the net and more likely it a 2 (no break in the bone). question, how much disfigurment do you have (bump from the bone sticking up) and do you have full range of motion? do you feel constant pain. any info on your experience is appreciated-this hurts man!
afcop750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
cptaebphd
Founding Member

What he said...

If you get aches and pains after riding the Fatboy, you will need hospitalization after riding a modern sportbike for a few hours. You know, your change from HD to Sportbike can be seen as going from one poser world to another.....lol. Why not start with a clean sheet of paper and put down your requirements for an ideal bike? With the discounts you get, I bet an ST1300 will be near the top of you list and the RC51 won't be.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I'll be 52 in a month, had an 02 RC51

put 9K on it before... (crashed it, not my fault)

replaced it with an '05 Duc 999 (not a choice for you) torture bike!!!!

my opinion: try the bike on for size in the dealership.

if it doesn't instantly feel 'ok' don't buy it.

RC= nice ride but tough ergos.

if you're taller pick the ST1300.

shorter, SV650

you know, the 1200 Sportster is a good choice if you wanna stay HD.

allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
pdad13
Founding Member

You'll have to be the judge as to whether you can hop right on a modern liter sport bike right off the bat, but consider starting with a smaller/more road friendly bike. There will be an adjustment coming from a big twin cruiser.

I love the new FZ1, especially for someone with a few aches and pains. Of course, we don't know much about it yet. but I'm assuming it'll be a wonderful bike. Just bear in mind that it'll probably making 130-135 rwhp and a good bit more torque than the older model.

By all accounts, the RC-51 is excellent, but definitely not the most comfortable bike around. The Triumph Daytona 955i is one of the more road-friendly bikes with a great motor and excellent comfort, but it still has fairly agressive ergos and could be a problem for someone with some physical issues. It seems to bridge the gap between race-rep and GT nicely. but it's still a pretty serious bike in its own right. I own one and really enjoy it.

Of course, there are aftermarket solutions to alter the ergos.

The VFR is a great bike that most praise as plenty sporty and comfortable--plus it's part of the MO Holy Trinity. The big knock on the latest model has been the VTEC. If they've got that worked out, it's a contender.

The new Triumph Sprint ST (See Yossef's ride to work story) has been widely described as a sport bike in ST guise (just barely) and it'll get you from point A to K in comfort. And most think it looks killer.

I wouldn't recommend the latest 600 SS bikes; they seem to be getting too peaky for optimal road use. But the CBR 600 F4i and possibly the Kawasaki ZZR-600 have more relaxed ergos better road characteristics.

Oh, and 7000 miles per year isn't too shabby at all. It's a lot more than most people ride. Good luck.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 AM   #8
dleclerc
Founding Member

Try catching a Demo on the street rod before the demo season is over in canada. I tried one yesterday in Barrie, On. and was thouroghly impresed (thinking of trading in my current ride and on a side note I convinced my anti harley friend to come out with his R6 and he is converted to it as well with the R6 up for sale already).

It's not a track bike by any means, and if you intented on track days or racing your friends to Canyons don't bother with this bike, however as a street bike, that you hsould be able to keep pace with the repli-racer boys on the weekend. It's a near perfect balance for me, Great Ergo's, comfy yet in a comanding/in control posistion. Smooth engine that pulls really hard. Feels extremely planted and solid, (on roads feels much better most sportbikes I followed it up by getting on an R6 right after and stability felt alot better on the street rod) However don't read this as heavy because the bike may not flick over like the R6 but the steering is still very light and I even like the feel better then the R6 for real world driving. And to top it all off what a beautifull looking bike. The price tag could be a little more difficult to swallow then some of the bikes that have been mentioned though.

In short great sport bike that is a perfect balance between sport and comfy (could even be a great sport tourer with a windshield and some luggage.) and also not too intimidating as if you want to ride it hard with the repli-racer you will certainly keep pace, but it doesn't screem at you to push it to your limits like say and R1 or RC51 which is so effortless to ride fast that it tempt you to ride above your limits, especially if you have little experience on repli-racers.
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:21 AM   #9
Mephit_Blue
Founding Member

I don't know if I'd go with an RC51 as my first sport bike. A small/medium size sportsbike is going to outperform a cruiser and a RC51 will be like getting on a rocket ship after driving cruisers. Plus, probably not the most comfortable bike to ride.

Honda has a great line of sportbikes and I'd look there first if you get a significant discount. If you want something that is fairly comfortable to ride, but is also really sporty, I'd look at the Honda VFR, the 919 and the Honda 599. All sporty bikes with ergos designed to not punish the body.
Mephit_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:28 AM   #10
SRMark
Founding Member

If you've not ridden a modern big bore sport bike, you might want to try a large bore standard first or as was mentioned before, try a smaller sport bike. I'd go for the '06 FZ1. Some major changes coming and it should be a hell of a bike. I've ridden an '04 FZ1 and it was most impressive in every way. About all you can't do is take it off road. Now, with a Uylsses...
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote