Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Where have all the 900's gone?

Does he work for BMW's car division too?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #22
Ducman900
Founding Member

I have a '95 900 SS SP and an '03 R1100S Boxer Cup. The Duc is waaay more involving to ride. You feel much more connected to the road and to the machine. That said, the BMW is much more of a mile eater on an all day ride.

The early 900SS had frame cracks, swing arm cracks and head stud bolt cracks. However, by now any that are still on the road have had all of this fixed and are very reliable. I put cyclecat bars and a Seargent seat on mine and it's very comfortable now. The SP has a much better and more adjustable/rebuildable suspension than the CR but cost more. The best info I can recomend is: http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/index.html

Ducman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
rmohns
Registered Member

Default valve adjustment hysteria

like mghempel says, valve job hysteria is overblown.

first, 2V "desmodue" ducs are cheaper than you think. a full service should take an experienced dealer tech half a day -- four hours of labor, plus parts. figure $200-300 on labor, depending on the labor rate, and around $100-150 on parts (belts, shims, fluids). less experienced techs will take correspondingly more time (but that's the only way you get experienced techs...)

second, desmo valve trains seem to settle in as they get older. your first couple of services are important, but you can start stretching intervals after that. on my '03 4V ST4s, my services have been at 6k, 16k, 27k, and i'm due for another this month at 39k. at each service, fewer valves have needed adjusting.

despite what i'm saying, though, a ducati still isn't a beemer. it's got "character", which means it's not as dead-solid reliable as an old airhead. a ducati is still italian -- full of soul, hassles and love. newer ducs are far improved -- post TPG-takeover. radical modernization of manufacturing processes paid off.

4V "desmoquattro" machines will take a full day's labor, require more shims, and the belts cost twice as much. (re belts: if you compare the 2V and 4V head belt path, you'll see why -- the 4V belt twists back and forth like a snake, which puts it under more strain than the simpler 2V path. but they're still hideously overpriced, but ducati remains the only vendor -- not enough demand for an aftermarket belt supplier, i guess?)

(a note if you find yourself looking at 4V ducatis: your dealer can save time by not pulling the cams, and if they don't have to adjust a valve, they probably won't want to. if you have a 916, 996 or 748 engine, insist that they pull the cams anyway, and check for wear on the rocker arms. the chrome plating tends to flake, and ducati will warrantee the rockers, though you pay for the labor. but once the cams have been pulled to check the rockers, the time to replace them will cost you about $6. and it's better than having bits of hard chrome floating around your bottom end, transmission or head. (the newer Testestretta heads don't suffer this problem.))
rmohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #24
Desmobob
Registered Member

I ride a '97 900ss/sp w/ 30,000 miles on it. Do all my own maintenance, and it has never broken down on me. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain, cheap to insure. The 2-valve 900 pantah motor is one of the best street engines ever made, regardless of marque. Torque everywhere, smooth vibes, and a sound like no other. The earlier models (pre-96 or so) had some probs w/ frame and swingarm cracking and headstuds breaking, but even this was rare. The "sp" model is worth the extra $$: adjustable showa usd fork, aluminum (vs steel) swingarm, braided ss lines on the front brakes, iron vs stainless rotors up front, wider rear wheel, some cf bits. I have never had any mechanical issues w/ my bike, "mushrooming" valve stems included. I don't dislike the Japanese bikes, and I really like BMWs, but the seat of your pants will tell you there's nothing that comes close to a 900SS for "real world" riding. And, just to mention it, I have done many 300-400 mile days w/ no problem. The carbed SS bikes (pre-99) were less radical ergonomically than the later, Terblanche-styled supersports, which are actually less comfortable than the 749/999!
Desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #25
fireflyer239
Registered Member

Bought my '93 900SS brand new. I was out to buy a CBR600F2 at the time, but couldn't take my eyes off the gorgeous Italian in the showroom. The dealer offered to fire it up for me, and the love affair began. 23,000 clicks later, we're still going strong! Mods are: front master cylinder with adjustable lever from a Kawi ZX-7R + braided lines, FBF 10.25:1 slugs, open airbox w/K&N, rejet, Heli-bar risers, double bubble windscreen with Saeng T/A edging (great product!), Corbin seat, Silverstar headlight bulb, also did the cylinder studs before they cracked. Frame has been fine, but the swingarm cracked on both sides at the pivot; got it repaired better than new. clutch slave cylinder gasket went once but the bike has NEVER left me at the roadside. 3 to 4 hundred mile days are pure pleasure on this bike, especially with the riser and windscreen mods. I run my electric heated vest and heated grips with no prob. My decision to choose this bike has been validated hundreds of times over. I have owned several 4-cylinder japanese bikes, all wonderfully functional for sure, but none have endeared themselves the way an air-cooled 2-valve Ducati can. I once pulled into a gas station where a half-dozen Harleys were gassing up. In comes a minivan with Mom and 5 or 6 boys, 10-13 years old. They emptied the van, went straight past the Milwaukee Vibrators as if they didn't exist, to come and oogle the blood-red Duc with typical adolescent awe. Of course, I loved it, hehe. (I also own an '02 Road King Classic, fuel injected, very nice bike). Also, grown men, young girls, and little old ladies who would normally never give a second thought to a motorcycle, will stop on their way out of the Dunkin' Donuts, just shaking their head and saying "my my, but that certainly is a PRETTY, PRETTY motorcycle you have there!" And that, my friend, is what reminds me that it is really something special! No, it won't keep up with a liter class 4-cylinder on the top end, but on a winding country road it is a joy to toss back and forth, listening to that "ripping canvas" pipe music, letting the fat midrange catapult you out of third gear corners in a way no 600RR can ever hope to without downshifting. These machines are truly like Ferraris in the respect that, as they age, they are no less beautiful or desireable. They are timeless and classic. Parking it at an outdoor cafe and viewing it while sipping cappucino is only slightly less pleasureable than actually riding it. I will never sell mine, and my wife has strict orders to make sure i'm buried with it, should the need arise. Are you sold yet, Dude? Good...now GO FOR IT!!
fireflyer239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:41 AM   #26
fl34
Founding Member

so, what is your point?
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #27
gniewko
Registered Member

Nah. I actually like the new BMW look. I hated them at first, but then they grew on me. They kinda look like spaceships.

The Ducati supersports though, they look worse every time I see them.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #28
SmokeU
Registered Member

23,000 in 12 years?! BWAHAHAHAHAH
Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #29
fireflyer239
Registered Member

didn't get my point? wow. put into simple terms for you, it's a wonderful bike. the dude should go ahead and buy it.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #30
fireflyer239
Registered Member

yes, 23,000 miles in 12 years. is there anything wrong with that? do you so simply assume it's been my only bike? i average about 10,000 miles a year combined on my bikes, which i currently have 3. most of the miles go on the road king. i would ride even more, but i need to use my truck for work, and i have 2 kids to cart around, can't fit 'em on the bike.