Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
auldy
Registered Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Lemans

Hey Pete,

the V11 Series are a great bike irrespective of some of the comments you may read, I have a 2002 Scura Sports. The only teething problem with the V11's around that vintage is the gearbox shift lever spring is prone to breakage. It is not either a big or expensive job to replace, check with the owner if it has been done and the spring journal has to be 15mm in diameter. This aside they are a great sports touring machine with little maintanence that can normally be carried by the average owner.

For further info check out the v11lemans.com

website, they have a wealth of knowledge and information available.

Regards

Auldy
auldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
BimotaRich
Founding Member

All the current Moto Guzzis are very reliable machines. The Engine has been in production for longer than you have been alive and it has been well engineered and tweaked over time. The V11 Lemans is a wonderful machine. SO long as the price is right, I would go for it and never look back.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
v2-90
Founding Member

I agree with everyone's comments regarding the Le Mans - sound motor (been making the 2V for what is probably forever) and solid chassis. MG had some minor problems with 01 (and 02 also, I think) models that got _way_ overblown and exaggerated for unknown reasons. With Aprilia buying them and implementing numerous QC techniques and standards, the bar on quality has been raised substantially.

Put it to you this way: I was looking at buying a used MG Le Mans series and I was just having a hard time finding any. I spoke to a MG owner/friend of mine who gave me a (his) reason: "There's just not a lot of MGs for sale used because everyone that buys them, keeps them."

Got a hard time arguing with that....

v2-90

v2-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
draymond
Founding Member

I don't have a Lemans but an '03 California Stone and the bike is solid. Seems like the motor gets better with each mile. Power delivery is strong, torque band is wiiiiiide and milage is good @39mpg avg. I only have 3000 miles and the mpg is rumored to get better. The tranny does have flase neutrals if you do not give a solid shift and the idle from a cold engine stutters then smooths out with warmth but I just look at these traits as character. Alot more fun then all the UJM's I owned that just start and run!
draymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #5
Dervish
Founding Member

I had an '01 V11 Sport that I bought new, and I had a few problems with the bike. You may or may not have heard about the "relays" problem. Mine had it and I had to buy and carry around a bag of spare ones in case one of the 4 or 5 failed. The lights and/or instruments would stop working. The OEM relays were Bosch, but they weren't sized properly or something (can't remember the exact issue) Or perhaps it was due to vibration. Also, my tach failed at about 500 miles. I could have gotten it replaced under warranty, but was told the wait could be weeks/months. So I had Palo Alto Speedo in CA fix it for about $180. Guzzi did cover the cost of this under warranty, which was nice. Aside from these issues, the bike was unique, gorgeous and fun. I'd still say, go for it!
Dervish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
maladg
Registered Member

Join the Guzzi club - fast! Get Guzzilogy (book).

Frank Edge and the gang'll tell ya whats ya needs to know.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #7
maladg
Registered Member

Oops...google MGNOC to find Frank & the gang.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote