Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Helmets similar to the Arai ''Astral'' model? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3010-helmets-similar-arai-astral-model.html)

minglet 09-06-2005 06:53 AM

Re: Helmets similar to the Arai ''Astral'' model?

I own the Arai Astral and the Shoei RF1000 which has a similar shape and fit. Both helmets fit a similar shape head and are very comfortable. I like the Shoei helmet better, however, as it offers a better shape for wind resistance and somewhat better visiblity. Good luck.

jibosch 09-06-2005 07:19 AM

Check out the helmet shop in Daytona, they have a website, and they are competitively priced. They will not sell Arai over the internet though. I own an Arai and have bought HJC helmets for my girlfriends/friends, which are really nice and not so expensive, meeting the Snell 2000 spec.

Buzglyd 09-06-2005 07:27 AM

Headly

With that dome have you considered a diving bell?

Gabe 09-06-2005 08:12 AM

And is noisy as hell!

I'm not so happy with my RF1000: too noisy!

Also, anyone looking to buy a helmet needs to read the "Motorcyclist" article about DOT v. Snell standards so they can make up their minds about the level of protection they need.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

tomk2 09-06-2005 08:14 AM

I notice that the Z1R helmet that totally kicked butt on ALL the Snell 2000 rated lids in Motorcylists test is pretty widely available for under $100

Snell is clearly on the wrong side of the science, why pay more for a lid that does a poorer job of protecting your brain?

wilro09 09-06-2005 08:56 AM

I have an "Astral" shaped head as well. The SHOEI RF1000 is very comfortable also. For less money and less air circulation through the helmet the SHOEI TZ-R should be a good fit. In the last year alone KBC has made huge strides in the comfort level of their helmets and for less money than the ARAI's or SHOEI's. If there is a Cycle Gear store near you they should have lots of helmets in stock to try on, plus they have a policy of allowing you 30 days to return a helmet if it is not a good fit.

ddlewis 09-06-2005 09:10 AM

I wear an Astral and it is super comfortable on my enourmous gourd. Shoei is similar, and that's what my last helmet was. When I replaced it (after 7 years) I tried to cheap out first w/ KBC but they don't even make a helmet in my size. Then I bought an HJC AC-11. It tried to deform my skull and I ended up selling it at a 50% loss on ebay. Then I bought the Arai and have been happy about it ever since.

My opinion: If you ride a lot, fork out the bucks for the good helmet and be happy in the long run.

pushrod 09-06-2005 11:27 AM

Not sure which shape skull the Astral is for, but I wear a Signet GTR for my odd-shaped gourd.

I tried a Scorpion on the other day and was surprised how well it fit my XXL noggin. Now that the Signet is $800+, and they don't make the Cathcart anymore, I'll be looking for an alternative in a year or three.

crevans 09-06-2005 11:32 AM

I also wear an Astral. Untill I tried one on, I always thought I needed an XXL helmet, but the shell shape was so perfect, I only wear an XL in the Astral. I've tried on the RF1000 and TZ-1s, and dozens (literally) of other brands and models of helmets - they don't fit as well (in fact the TZ-1 didn't fit at all).

A good snug fit on your helmet is also important to the safety of the helmet. A helmet that's too tight or too loose is still a great deal better protection than no helmet, but you're more likely to get a concussion or other less serious head injury than you would with a properly fitted lid.

BTW, did the Astral get scuffed up from a crash? Insurance will usually cover riding gear (at least mine does (Progressive), up to $1000).

Redfury 09-06-2005 12:08 PM

I have the same problem. XXL and the Arai astral fits me best. I also live in an area where not a large selection of helmets are sold. If you are a true rider at heart, you don't miss an opportunity to visit bike shops when you travel. I go out of my way to get to various shops, particularly in large cities. I try on various helmets and make notes of what fits the best. Then when I need one, I can order the right type, size and design. Also, Daytona, Honda Hoot, Americade, Sturgis, etc are great places to try on all sorts of helmets. I never miss many opportunities to try on a helmet.