Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
mheyer
Founding Member

Default Re: Sporty bike with comfortable pillion?

Less so on the '05, but up to '04 the Triumph Sprint ST. It is a very sporty sport-tourer (you can ride it as hard as a public road will allow), but the pillion does not become a backpack. You can see the difference in the seat as compared to other sport bikes. Check it out. Great bike all around too. That triple engine is one sweet ride.
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

Kawasaki ZX12-R or its 2006 replacement. Fast, comfortable, riding position is just sporting enough such that windblast at highway speeds allows for comfortable riding. I own a cruiser (Vulcan 2000), but if I had to do it all over again that's probably the bike I'd buy.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 AM   #3
Whatmough
Founding Member

I'll second these two. The FZ1 was being touted as one of the best all around bikes ever just a few years ago. Two seating on both; but I wouldn't want to be on the back of any bike.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #4
Chango
Founding Member

Well, I have a pair of friends who swear up and down that their 2005 GSX-R1000 is more comfortable for 2-up riding than an FJR1300. I am somewhat inclined to believe them because they have more miles on their '05 Gixxer than I have on my '05 Gixxer Sixxer. I have 12,000 on mine, but they hit that mark a few months ago. Do I even have to mention that these two people are crazy?

Before the new Gixxer they had (and still have) a Honda CBR929 which they also really liked for 2-up. So it really depends on you and your passenger. Some people are like my buddies and really prefer hardcore sportbikes for 2-up.

"It's always easier to do things the hard way." -- Chango
Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
t5daytona
Registered Member

I am kind of in the same camp now. I am considering the Ducati ST4s ABS. I rented one in Italy for 3 weeks, and it was a perfect sporty sport tourer. The ST3 isn't bad either. I rented that one last year, but I was riding solo that time. If you like the looks the new BMW K1200R would work really well. The optional windscreen actually provides good wind protection. The Kawasaki is a great suggestion also.
t5daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:14 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

And if you get an aftermarket seat from Corbin, Keith's or Sargent, the pillion is even better.

The other thing to look at for the 2-up is the location of the 2nd set of pegs. The Sprint has them located a good bit down on the bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

Default It seems to me....

...you're describing the Buell Ulysses.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:51 AM   #8
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Check out Corbin's web site for a saddle that has the optional back-rest for a bike that you'd like to own. Serious distance on any bike as a passenger requires something to rest on.

FZ1 - http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/fazer.shtml

Honda VTR -http://www.corbin.com/honda/vtr.shtml

GSXR 1000 - http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/gsxr1k-4.jpg

ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
lcarlson
Founding Member

BMW R1150R
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

Sportbike is your desire get a Kawasaki ZZR600. It's got new skin for 06 and will crank out 100hp and weigh in under 425lbs. Great power to weight for a middleweight sportbike. Otherwise, buy the ZZR1200 (carbs and all) will produce enough power (145 rwhp) too. Oh, Progressive has the ZZR1200 under the sporttour section- so cheap insurance will be yours as well.