Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Lordy! Turning 41, Riding Bug Has Bitten Me Again!

MadCuban, there are so many really good bikes out there that you can get pretty cheaply. A used VFR wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Leftover SV1000s are around for around $7k. A leftover Sprint ST or RS could be procured for under $8K. 919s are really nice if you can find one (try used). FZ1s are a great buy. A new Kawi Z750S can be has for under $7K--maybe the best buy in motorcycles right now. FZ-6, Daytona 650, Honda Superhawk, etc. etc. All real nice bikes for the money. The Buell Lightning Long looks really cool, but may be a bit pricey.

You couldn't have picked a better time to return to riding. Don't be concerned with what anyone says.

I'm with ya (for whatever that's worth.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #32
Wambo
Founding Member

Get some test rides. As mentioned, you can get a test ride on a Buell to see if you like it. Actually for me, the City Cross riding position is great. You may want to consider the V-Strom as well if your inseam isn't on the short side. It has really comfortable seating. Try to ride as many bikes as you can to help make a decision.

By the way, I tried a '04 Interceptor my neighbor had and I thought the handling was a little odd. Probably was suspension setup wasn't for my weight. Otherwise not bad. I'd take a VFR1000 over it any day, though if I wanted a Honda. To each their own!
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #33
rock06r
Founding Member

Default FZ-1....DEFINATELY

Go with a Yamaha FZ1. Get one used, maybe 2 years old or less, for around 5 beans. Then accessorize with a GIVI luggage set and an aftermarket seat. It's the best... awesome comfort, reliability, style, and POWER. It's everything motorcycling is supposed to be in the 21st century. You can take her for a track day (sans the luggage rack, of course), riding with your buddies to the local watering hole, or even all-day riding on the highways (get a taller windshield though). Plus, you'll have a grand or two left over (even after all the aftermarket parts). That's something the wife would appreciate as well - plus there's plenty of seat left over for her if she's so inclined.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Idiotic Toll

In '92 I had to sell my R100RT because my youngest daughter was born and we needed a car. I'd already sold my K100RS a year earlier to pay for my oldest daughter and put money down on a house, so for the first time since I was 10 I didn't have a bike. It took me two months to scrape up an '84 V65 Sabre for $1500. I rode the wheels off that bike till I came up with $2500 for an "87 ZX1000R that I rode a few years till I could buy a new '97 VFR....

The point being that if you want to ride bad enough you will. I had to content myself with being a bottom-feeder till my finances straightened out, but I'd have bought a CB350 for $500 if I had to. I do have empathy for you and the other fellow's positions but if you really want to ride bad enough you will find a way.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:59 AM   #35
maladg
Registered Member

Madcuban, plenty of good advice above. Ignore the ugly comments.

My 2 pieces of copper's worth: it really isn't too important what you get as long as the ride is comfy, affordable and doesn't have a reputation for being expensive to maintain.

VRF800's are great, especially the pre-VETC models, but when its time for a major service...unless you do it yourself, gonna be $$$. And the charging systems can be a tad problematic. Still an all time great ride.

A wee Strom would be a pantload cheaper and if you don't like it - desirable to resell....

LongRide speaketh the truth on the Triumphs. Great bikes and since the resale isn't exactly in BMW or HD land, you get a great deal on a used one. No issues worth mentioning, either.

And whatever the reasons you were out of the swim: welcome back.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #36
maladg
Registered Member

Oops...that was Pushrod re Trumpets.

Sorry....braingas escaped on me.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 AM   #37
Leopold
Registered Member

What about saving alot of dough,and get one of the all-time high hawks?Just replace the muffler,and seat and you can't go better
Leopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #38
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Might have a point. I hear that argument a whole lot ("If you want it, you always find a way..."). There's always the unspoken clause: Not promising right away.

I don't want to quibble. Having looked in things, the monthly insurance payment alone puts me beyond my budget. (Yes, my dumb@ss is really running things that tight!)

As far as a $500 bike... The only thing I've found for that up here was older Japanese something that had a seized motor and no wheels. That's just Alaska.

That said, I do find a way, and that is beg, borrow, and renting. My point that I was making above is just because you give up your bike awhile, doesn't mean you not a motorcyclist. Casting the net of 'it's just the flavor of the month' and that they might as well not bother over people because they had to make a decision, as even you have done, is more elitist than I feel like putting up with. I stand by point that GXRWolf's opinion about MadCuban (as what use to be provided above) and those in similar circumstances is inaccurate and unreasonably belittling considering that some choices everyone makes in life have certain consequences. When wieghed, sometimes even things we're passionate about, must take a backseat temporarily to achieve goals.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

Fair enough, your position is a little different than mine. I agree, gsxguy's tone is a little harsh, sometimes choices have to be made. I was fortuntate to be able to come up with the scratch at the same time the owner of the Sabre needed the money.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #40
V2Rider
Premium Member

How about the Triumph Bonneville T100. Great looking, looks fun to ride and is a bargain at just under $8000 for an 05. I'm sure you could pick up a leftover 04 pretty reasonable. I'm looking to get one as a second bike next spring to go with my bagger.