Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   But officer, it didn't FEEL like I was going 98 mph (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2919)

Haird 07-12-2005 04:41 AM

Re: But officer, it didn't FEEL like I was going 98 mph

Get a slower bike?

fhqwhgads 07-12-2005 04:49 AM

First post!!!

A good rule of thumb, if you are passng people you are probably speeding. I would get a lawyer (if you can afford one) to drag it out and then get the thing dismissed. You could also see if you could get deferred ajudication. Then you would be on probation and when the probation time is up the ticket gets wiped from your record. If you get busted for anything else though the ticket comes back to haunt you.

Good Luck

nokneedragin 07-12-2005 05:02 AM

In my aged years I have come up with three cardinal rulles for dealing with tickets:

Get a lawyer.

Get a great Lawyer.

Get the best Lawyer your money can buy!

The short term pain of paying the bloodsucker has saved me long term pain of paying the guv'ment bloodsuckers and the Insurance bloodsuckers.

lefty337 07-12-2005 05:15 AM

In my experience a little 'respect' (a$$ kissing) can go a long way when dealing with cops. Don't argue that you didn't do anything wrong, just argue that you hadn't realized how fast you were going. Try not to lie, just extend the truth. The severity of the ticket usually depends on the mood of the officer, so every little thing you can do to make his job easier, may help you out a little bit. This doesn't always help in extreme cases of speeding like this.

I don't know how it is where you are, but in PA you can fight a ticket without having to pay a lawyer. Usually you still have to pay some if not all, but more importantly, the judge will minimize the points that go onto your record. at almost 100 mph you will probably not have them all removed, but getting 2 point is better than 5 or so. Many times you can even ask the cop for a ticket that is stated slightly different so you won't get points. I've had many tickets that have been changed by the judge to eliminate points and reduce the cost of the ticket.

In the long run, the money can be re-earned. The points are much harder to get rid of. I'd rather pay the full extent of the ticket without points, than get points and pay less.

Just my thoughts from my experiences.

longride 07-12-2005 05:42 AM

No use in beating yourself up for it. Just about everyone speeds. On the expressways here, the average speed is about 20 over the limit for everyone. The key to not getting caught is to pick your spots. Speeding all the time will get you nabbed every time. Get a lawyer and fight it. It may get reduced to driving school or supervision. Also, it helps to have a firefighter commision card to have fall out of your wallet accidentally. It's like a Monopoly "Get out of Jail Free" card. Got me out of a few.

SRMark 07-12-2005 05:58 AM

I second the thought of picking your spots. I'd rather hit a tree than risk messing up someone on a main road. Plus, police tend not to police trees in my area. Notice, I said "tend". Also, when the aggressive urges start to build, pull off the road, take a few pictures, have a Coke and a burger, get a hooker. Anything to drop the testosterone levels back to normal.

HelterSkelter 07-12-2005 06:35 AM

Am I the only person who noticed that the police didn't tell you how they registered your speed?

If they didn't then that's probably enough to beat the rap. If it's a radar or laser thaey have to tell you and show you the calibration (if you ask).

m_t_yeo 07-12-2005 06:42 AM

In Canada, they can pace you to write the ticket, but they have to show in court that their speedo is accurate and was recently calibrated (they regularly are for this reason). If you leave him behind, though, the maximum they can write the ticket for is the speed at which they last saw you, not their guestimated speed you were traveling. It also has to be corroborated to really stick, so a lot of those get won by the speeders because the officer was the only on in the vehicle.

pattonme 07-12-2005 06:49 AM

take it like a man, already

technicality/schmechnicality. You were speeding at an aggressive speed. The cop cut you a break by not writing you up for 100+ and dumping your sorry ass in jail right then and there. Pay the fine, live with the points and remind yourself that a freakin' track day costs $200 or less.

Take the heat. You earned it.

Dangerousdave_2 07-12-2005 07:28 AM

Your're probably right that he didn't get you on radar, or he would have said so. As a former MP, I can tell you that those guys get pretty good at estimating speeds, and while a Judge may decide to ding you for less than what was on the ticket, he's probably not going to dismiss it. Even a civilian can probably tell the difference between 70 and 100, after all. If you get it lowered enough that they don't put you in the go-to-jail group, do they have traffic school available in your state? It's usually more expensive than the fine, but you won't get charged the points. Some of these schools can be found online as well. Good luck!