Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #81
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

Default Re: But officer, it didn't FEEL like I was going 98 mph

I'll try and keep mine short. Got a ticket a coupla' years ago at 3:30am. Lady cop tried to tell me I was going 70 in a 45. I absolutely know I wasn't. I watched my speed on an entrance ramp so that I matched the highway I was entering (65) and then reduced to the speed limit that went down after the ramp (45) because I know there was a large rise in the pavement that would send me off the seat if I went any faster. She asked me if I wanted to see her radar. I should have taken her up on that. Maybe she was after something else. I declined (very very curtiously) and when she came back with the ticket she tried to tell me I was doing 78 really. Total b.s. I was so mad I went to court. Turns out that the cop wrote down the wrong court time. I thought I was out of it, but they sent me into criminal court. My other choice was to take a day off of work the next week and that would cost ore than the ticket. While in court, the city attorney offered me a "deal" before the judge got there. I could pay court costs ($100) and stay clean for a year and the ticket would cease to exist, or I could go before the judge where she would offer the same deal. Some choice. I paid the court cost and got out of there. I am still angry. I still wonder what a lawyer would have cost...

of course, they could have nailed me speeding for real many times before...

paul from Minnesota

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #82
leach7
Registered Member

Get a lawyer if you need one, dress to impress, and keep up the "sir" talk. Good luck!
leach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 PM   #83
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: yeah, bend over already

the original poster knows FULL WELL he was speeding. WAY speeding. This has nothing to do with "having his day in court". That applies ONLY when the person knows he is innocent. He knows damn well he's guilty. There is nothing to argue. And contesting it is even more reprehensible when he KNOWS the cop showed him a good measure of mercy. An man of honor would realize it, thank providence for keeping him out of jail and own up.

There is NO merit to arguing about the precise speed he was doing. 94, 96, 99, it doesn't matter SQUAT! It doesn't matter an iota if the radar gun or car speedo was calibrated or not. It's close enough. The only time challenging is justified is if you know you were doing 75 give or take and the cop writes you for say 85+ or otherwise significantly upps the applicable penalty. Here in VA for example it's up to the cop's discretion to tack on a reckless.

He earned the ticket fair and square. Only yellow-bellies try to get off. If you're offended, too bad. So many motorcyclists are immature and juvenile people who refuse to take responsibility for their behavior that I have the misfortune of dealing with. It's pathetic, really.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #84
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Totally agree. I was put in jail on a false charge by a rogue cop once. Good thing there were witnesses. Excellent Advice Abe.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #85
sv1000rider
Founding Member

"So many motorcyclists are immature and juvenile people who refuse to take responsibility for their behavior that I have the misfortune of dealing with."

Why is it a problem when some said motorcyclists use law to their advantage and have their fines and/or points reduced? I'm not knocking that indeed, the nice officer threw me a bone BUT I'm not doing anything illegal by trying to have the fine and point penalty reduced. Why is using the law to one's advantage a bad thing? It's like taking adavantage of tax laws to pay less tax. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you? And again, I really appreciate the officer's action. If he got a cut of my ticket, I probably wouldn't try to get my fine reduced (okay that's a lie) but he could probably care less if I get a couple points or 50 bucks knocked off the ticket. Sure it may not be "manly" but neither is letting your wife be on top.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:48 AM   #86
steppenwoof
Registered Member

Default Bikes that absorb RADAR

I read with great interest about the problems with speeding & the fuzz...I suggested that the way to get a speeding ticket is to stop for the fuzz & to instead use plates that have vibrated off other bikes....It seems that plates dont vibrate off these new bikes as much as the bikes we had many years ago.......I will suggest while relaying another soluntion..I bought a 1997 Suzuki TLS 7 years ago......Its a great bike with a killer motor and lazer handling....The only changes were 2 Brothers mufflers, Double Bubble windshield and dropped one tooth down on the counyershaft......That combination seems to be invisible to RADAR ...I have ridden this bike quite quickly & fast.......A ride is not a ride unless I get it up to 125 to 175 each time I go out......The bike & I dont feel as one untill we are doing 125........I find this "oneness" quite exciting !!.......Has anyone else chanced upon a RADAR proof bike ?............Stepp
steppenwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 AM   #87
SRMark
Founding Member

Didn't we get Tang out of that deal?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:44 AM   #88
gniewko
Registered Member

"A man of honor"? "Own up"? You're talking as if speeding was a moral transgression, and traffic laws a god-like authority. They're not. Speed limits and penalties are set and enforced arbitrarily. They are often bad laws, and in fact SHOULD be challenged in court.

Even if the OP agrees that he was speeding, he doesn't have to docilely bend over and submit to the automatic penalty schedule that someone essentially invented out of thin air.

That's an important role of the courts - laws can't be written to take into account all possible circumstances, so we need to have judges/juries who can consider each particular case and decide what penalties are appropriate. Or do you really believe that someone who goes 100mph on an empty highway deserves to go to jail, while someone going 15 over in a crowded residential/shopping neighborhood should get away with a couple points and a fine?

And your statement that courts are only for people who know they are innocent is the dumbest thing I've heard in a loooong time. It's pathetic, really.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:15 AM   #89
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

If this is the case, and we're all obligated to plead guilty to whatever we're charged with because dammit, we were speeding and broke the law, then I suppose every time we speed and don't get caught, we're guilty of not immediately seeking out the nearest police officer and asking them to write us a ticket to which we can plead guilty?

Apparently with you, the law has no purpose, it is an end unto itself. The law is the law and it doesn't matter why it's there, what the circumstances are, who passed it, why you're breaking it, whether you were endangering anyone or not, or any other mitigating circumstances.

By this logic, officers shouldn't be allowed to use discretion either (I would like to see this happen). They should be forced to write a ticket for every single infraction they see.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #90
sv1000rider
Founding Member

"They should be forced to write a ticket for every single infraction they see."

Actually, I get the feeling that pattonme would like things to be that way.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote