Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: But officer, it didn't FEEL like I was going 98 mph

Agreed. The cost of a traffic lawyer is generally under $200 for simple cases and you can save that much in insurance premiums in two years by maintaining a clean record.

Second suggestion, ditch the radar detector and learn to ride closer to the common speed when in any kind of traffic. Fast is fun, but faster than traffic is dangerous.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #12
Lowrez
Founding Member

Hit refresh before you write first post. You were late by over 8 minutes.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 AM   #13
VFRider
Registered Member

What's with the "Speeding is wreckless, dangerous, and wrong" BS? Wreckless behavior has very little to do with speed. Riding 35mph can be wreckless if you are on a crowed city street, while 90mph on an open interstate can be perfectly safe and reasonable. You were not impaired by drugs or alchohol were you? You were in complete control of your vehicle at all times right?

Stop perpetuating this tired mantra of "Speed Kills". Irresponsible behavior is dangerous, no matter what the speed. Just ask Kelen Winslow.

PS. If speeding is so bad, what's the RADAR detector for?

VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 AM   #14
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Just my feeble attempt at sarcasm. You are absolutely right about speeding vs. being wreckless, even though the two are not differentiated between in the instance of speeding. Actually, the radar detector has been invaluable in the two years that I've owned it by allowing me to get into the gaps at 80-85 before slowing to the speed of traffic.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #15
jaholbro
Founding Member

You don't need a lawyer...at least here in michigan. I was on my way home from campus one night at 12:30 am after a long night of studying for exams...in my car btw. passed a cop doing 70 in a 55. Went to talk to the magistrate, waited for my name to be called, claimed that i was guilty. He said since my record was clean he was going to drop the offece to impeding traffic. No points just a fine. I will never ever again just pay a ticket w/o going to cort.
jaholbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #16
arch99
Registered Member

Default Re: take it like a man, already

I totally agree, it bothers me that people who are totally in the wrong, go to court, waist taxpayer money by blocking up the courts, and then recieve a lesser fine, just because they show up and complain. My two cents.
arch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #17
vritual_stas
Founding Member

Since you were polite and nice with the police officers, there's a good chance that they won't show up in court. I don't know how is it in your state, but in IL if they don't show up and you do, then your case is automatically dismissed. The couple of my last speeding tickets (all highway and done safely) were dismissed this way, because I was actually polite, cooperative and in a good sense humourous about the situation and myself with the police. Why - just imagine with how many a$$holes they deal every day, so if you're nice, they'll appreciate it. It works for me, even though I shave my head, drive/ride fast cars/bikes, my English is far from perfect and I have a distinctive Russian accent .

Now, the important part: 98 MPH can be considered not only a serious speeding but also an "endangerment of public safety" and blah-blah-blah. So, even if you have good feeling about it, don't take it lightly and find a lawyer.

Again, in any case, whatever you do, get a lawyer. I did, paid $200 every time, and I had a piece of mind knowing that he'd do what was possible to do.

PS the fact that they gave you a ticket for 98, not for 100-something is a good sign. You have a very good chance of them not showing up.

Good luck and don't get caught again
vritual_stas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default And.........

The only dumbass that's bigger than the "First Post" moron, is the guy that says it on the second post.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #19
YZFas
Founding Member

Sorry for you, i know how it feels...your mood is destroyed for the rest of the day, if not a week....

But i can tell a little bit about situation here, in my country.Different things are here....I live in small country - Lithuania (ofcourse you probably have no clue where it is, but we are located near Russia, in the Europe).For 50 years our country was occupied by Russia and only for the last 15 years we were independent.When our country became independent, economical situation became dramatic.The average salary went down, very fast.But it is possible to earn money if you aren't lazy and stupid and it is possible to buy good things,goods,cars,bikes,etc.Still people that work in public work (e.g. cops) earn very little and usually it is expected that people who can't get job anywhere else, go to work there.Thus they need money and bribes are very common here....during last couple years when we joined European Union, situation got a little bit better but it is still the same.So if you drive car, you actually "pay" for your speeding at place, it is in the form of bribe and money goes to officer rather than to national budget (who cares,right? probably....) But if you ride on your bike (sportbike) situation is different - cops don't have fast cars,there are no helicopters so they can't catch you...the only way is if you stop by yourself.And official ticket prices are high, so guys on bikes don't stop at all.And now cops don't even try to stop you, they just let you ride by.Thus we have practicaly no speed limits (for the bikes) and we choose what is safe speed for us.Interestingly enough, there are no more deaths than anywhere else (by statistic) and if you buy bike you probably have enough money and you are not stupid And insurance companies don't insure bikes at all.....So now we have "little heaven" here and can do up to 170mph in the city (or even more,very rarely ofcourse) , but only when there are no cars and roads are pretty wide.You drive and there are no cops for you, they just don't excist for ya......But you risk to have big injuries and even death, so everyone also tries to think.By situation and not by rules.Its is probably good if you have experience and more brain than the one who just goes flat out and kills himself....But you are free and you don't have to think everytime you pass civil car, if there is cop inside or not. Ofcoure everything will change, probably not so fast but eventualy change, especially that we are now in ES....So we just enjoy riding for now, and I feel somehow happy about things here...I ride already more than 8 years with sportbike and didn't have any accidents at all..i guess it is possible to live without speed limits Ofcourse nobody knows what can happen in the future, so you must always have "speed limits" in your head at first.You have situation different there, but that feeling inside you is most important.The only one who can save you from accidents - its you and not cops, so don't take it to your heart and try to forget is.Just enjoy your ride and the control of your bike

And if you want to avoid cops, know the places where they usually are.Good luck
YZFas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #20
lunatic-fringe
Registered Member

Default Re: take it like a man, already

Okay, then I guess I'm one who really bothers you. I have challenged 12 tickets in court since 1997 and beat them all. I live in Washington state by the way.

PS, I'm working on a 13th, that one's in California and I'm not so optimistic.

L.F.
lunatic-fringe is offline   Reply With Quote