Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   XB-9 CityX or Honda 599? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2864-xb-9-cityx-honda-599-a.html)

Chango 06-22-2005 09:25 AM

Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

I lean towrd the Honda 599 myself, for one of the same reasons - reliability. I have a buddy with a new Buell CityX and his bike has spent ,more time in the shop than on the road. I understood that the Buells were getting better, and my buddy may have just gotten a lemon, but seeing him unable to ride because his bike won't work right doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It looks awesome, and I'll bet it handles even better, but I don't buy bikes to look at (as proof, I ride a GSX-R), and the best handling in the world is useless if it won't start.

Now, fix it and ride the wheels off of that old Shadow. You'll have a ball.

Chango

johnnyb 06-22-2005 09:45 AM

wonder what the RESALE will b like in 10 yrs? where is GPTB when you need em.

Dixit 06-22-2005 09:48 AM

Go with the Honda. The Buell is not that reliable. Mine had to be fixed near Deal's Gap because the flywheel was coming loose, (At 3000 miles) and also, the Lightning doesn't like slow speed at all. It is very hard on mine to maintain a speed of 25mph like in traffic. I have not seen this fact mentionned anywhere else so it can be just my bike

SeanAlexander 06-22-2005 09:53 AM

Speaking of the XB9SX... I have one for you on July 13th. You can keep it until the end of August. Don't say I nevah gave you anything kid.

tpoppa 06-22-2005 09:57 AM

The Buell will outhandle the 599, hands down. The Buell has fully adjustable suspension, the 599 doesn't.

The 599 has more top end power, the Buell has more bottom end power.

As far as reliability, the Buell requires LESS scheduled maintainence (no valve adjustments ever) than the Honda.

I have a 2003 XB(s with a little over 12,000 miles...its never been in the shop.

tpoppa 06-22-2005 10:00 AM

The Buell will outhandle the 599, hands down. The Buell has fully adjustable suspension, the 599 doesn't.

The 599 has more top end power, the Buell has more bottom end power.

As far as reliability, the Buell requires LESS scheduled maintainence (no valve adjustments ever) than the Honda.

I have a 2003 XB(s with a little over 12,000 miles...its never been in the shop.

Lowrez 06-22-2005 10:02 AM

For starters, planning your next bike before you have a few months under your belt is short sighted. No one knows how you'll feel by the end of August.

Your general description is to use the bike as normal transportation and I'd look at what other owners have done to make those bikes livable. Can both bikes take a magnetic tank bag? Would their pipes interfere with or melt saddle bags?

If the Shadow is in good shape, you may want to ride that for more than just one season. Nothing is as afforable as a free bike.

SeanAlexander 06-22-2005 10:06 AM

Fully-Adjustable Suspension: In my experience, few things can make a street rider's bike handle worse. Most (not all) street riders do little more than destroy the handling of thier bikes when they start fiddling with the adjusters.

The easy way to get a superb fire-and-forget suspension, is to UPS the forks and shock from your new bike to Phil at Aftershocks Suspension (Palo Alto, CA) It doesn't matter if it is adjustable or not, he will re-valve and tune it perfectly for your bike, weight, experience and style, then mail it back to you. All you need to do is bolt it back on the bike and forget about it. It will be 100% better than any stock adjustable-suspension. Total cost is generally less than $500 for a complete bike. Total value is damned-near priceless. -Sean

mscuddy 06-22-2005 10:08 AM

I understand the Buell doesn't have that much touque, it's been tweeked for top end (!?) and you have to kind of rev it to go anywhere.

And then there's the ledgendary Buell reliability...

Get the 599.

BMW4VWW 06-22-2005 10:13 AM

You're right about keeping the Shadow for a while. It's power delivery would be much more user friendly for a newbie, and the low seat height might be beneficial as well. Not so many years ago any bike with the power of the 600 Shadow would have been considered to much bike for a beginner. VWW