Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #61
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

Do they not appeal to you just because they are ancient? Or is it because they are also mostly ugly? Or is it the cheapness factor?

I may have just found a replacement for my Gixxer...

Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #62
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Plastic "gas tank" kills the use of a tank bag.

Buell makes a tank bag for thier bikes

The back is just tiny, but if you'll succed loading anything safely back there, at least it will stop the road goo from flying up you're jacket and helmet.

Buell also makes small saddles for thier bikes

Don't you just hate riding with a backpack?

Not really, normal method for me and friends, what don't you like about it? Just curious, never bothered me.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #63
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Buell makes a Tank bag and Soft Luggage for the City X. I know, because they are sending me one with the luggage, next week.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #64
johnnyquest
Registered Member

Default Re: Thanks Everyone

Lefty, I was in your situation last year. I had zero experience last year and took the MSF begginer's course. I was trying to decide whether to buy new or used and the new bikes on my list were the 599, FZ6, CityX, Monster 620. After seeing how outrageous insurance was for the 599 and CityX it came down to used or the Monster, and I chose used. Got a 1990 BMW K75s with 19300 miles for $3500. In the BMW world, it's practically a new bike. Anyways, my point to all this is that I quickly fell in love with the sport touring capabilities of my bike. Locking hard bags are awesome! Take your lunch to work, your bike cover, rain gear, extra face shield, extra gloves with you everywhere, lock your jacket up when you go to dinner or a movie....you get the idea.....very easy to live with, but lots of fun in the twisties. Once you get more seat time on the old Honda you'll get a better idea of what you want in a bike.

Now, with that said I hope to buy a new bike in a few years when my car's paid off, and the CityX is still interesting to me. They now sell saddle bags, tank and tail bags for it that would allow me to still go on trips with it, yet it would be lots of fun in town. Belt drive means no chain maintenance, pushrods mean no valve adjustments, and parts should be readily available at any Harley dealer. Price? I just had my local dealership try to sell me one for $500 below invoice, I think about $7500 or so. Insurance is still pricey though, but I plan on paying cash for the bike so a high monthly payment for insurance won't hurt that bad. The other bikes on my list are a lot more expensive, the Ducati ST3 and the BMW R1200ST.

Lastly, take the experienced rider course when you get 4 months of seat time on the old Honda, and go buy the Proficient Motorcycling books written by David Hough.....have fun and ride safe.

JQ
Old 06-23-2005, 06:37 AM   #65
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Sometimes I wonder if you actually read the stuff that you are condemning.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #66
red916
Founding Member

Check this out: www.mybuell.com
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #67
Stonedog
Founding Member

I think they don't appeal to me because I have been wanting to get into this sport for a few years now. I'm not at a place in my life where it's really feasible, so instead I spend my time over-analyzing reviews, rider reports and the information found in a number on online forums.

If you look at them from a beginner's point of view:

- Ninja 500 is ancient

- GS500F is still basically ancient

- SV650/SV650S are too torquey to start with and are either uncomfortable (S model) or fugly (nekkid)

- Honda 599 lacks FI and is pricey, some say it vibrates too much

- Triumph S4 is pricey and requires too much of a super-sport riding position and the S3 has too much power for a newbie

- FZ6 has crappy FI and instruments otherwise it would be perfect

- DL650 is fugly and top heavy, otherwise it would be perfect

- Z750s has too much power for a newbie, otherwise it would be perfect

- Breva 750 looks like an old man's bike

- Ducati Monsters are expensive to maintain and/or have funky transmissions that tend to seize (S2R)

- Any 650 thumper lacks the power to run 90mph on the highway for that long distance trip I'll probably never take

- need I go on?

I would imagine that in reality most of these are exceptional bikes for a beginner like me.

But, reviewers tend to pick nits over minor issues (the Z750s vibes, for example) and armchair enthusiasts like me obsess over a few slightly negative sentences in an otherwise neutral or positive review.

So, as attractive as the ER6 SEEMS to be the reviewers will find a few things about it that daydreamers like me will focus on and then cross it off their lists...

Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 AM   #68
iamz
Founding Member

Default One more thing

I'm thinking you might want to look around a bit more, and test ride a few different models before you settle in too soon and end up with something that you really can't live with over the long haul.

That's all the girl-friend advise I have for you. Good luck.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #69
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: One more thing

Both the bikes he mentions are quite "Livable" for the type of riding that he does -- daily comuting and suburban transportation -- In fact, for someone who wants to eventually mix a little performance into his diet after he builds the skills, I'd say they are some of the best possible choices he could make.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #70
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: One more thing

Sean, re-read my post. I never mentioned anything about motorcycles.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote