Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #51
brax4444
Registered Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

I say test ride them both. I grew up on Honda's and I love them. My good friend that I ride with has a nice Black 599 that I've spent some time on myself. It's a fine bike but I find the Buell to be much less boring. The 599 was kinda bland compared to my Black XB-12S. I haven't had a bit of trouble out of the Buell and I do believe the XB's are a vast improvement over the older Buells. I still own a few Honda's and I know they are rock solid reliable and the chance of getting a lemon is far lower with a Honda over a Buell but unless you're really lucky I would think the Buell would be a more satisfying bike to own.

But as I first said: test ride them both before buying anything!
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #52
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599 and one more

There is some good wisdom in the responses. The choice really comes down to which you prefer. But I would not only consider the SV650, but also take a look at the Ducati S2R. It's the same price as the Buell.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #53
yoavy11
Founding Member

"Ego factor" indeed,

The Buell will get you a lot of attention on Tue/Thu night bike club meetings. It looks the part and sounds the part.

As of any practicality, reliability and - if you ask me - comfort, get the 599.

As advice goes, both these bikes are big step over the 600 shadow, which I recommend you stick with for at least a year (As long as a decent mechanic confirms it's a safe ride). So make sure as you get any of them, to take some advanced riding classes. Www.teampromotion.com are great and they're pretty much always in the Pocono Race Track. Very close to you.

I'd also check out the Yamaha FZ-6 if I were you. Same power as the 599, a little less agile, but with great wind protection. Makes a huge difference on the Hwy.(Especially in winter)
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:35 AM   #54
ncelik
Registered Member

Dutch site through babelfish:

AGAIN a NEW BICYCLE FOR 2006 KAWASAKI ER-6N GOES FOR PURE MOTORRIJDEN 22-06-2005 - in spite of the embargo up to 29 June that Kawasaki had considered Europe for new ER-6N, we nevertheless encountered staande twin on a Greek site. Because we publish just 29 June (00.01) the blades and the text, we let us not want remember you the blades on the Greek site. Click on new Kawasaki ER-6N LINK IS MEANWHILE ' DEAD ', but continues try. A vast test of ER-6N can read you in promoter 6, who lies on 29 July in the shop (and at the abonnees on the mat).
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #55
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Now that makes sense! Never heard of that but even if you ride a cruiser great tires and suspension really improve your scoot. It's strnge funny how many will spend thousands on cosmetics for their parade bikes and never consider better tires and suspension.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 AM   #56
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I can't believe most of you MOrons are recommending a newbie buy a 599 because it "winds out faster". That's just great, yet another motorcycle recommendation based on how fast the bike is.

I guess I should have known tho', coming to a site where the winner of comparos is the one with the most power 99% of the time.

Just once I'd like to see a bike having it's praises sung over the fact that it stops better than all other contestants.

Lee, ride the Shadow for at least 3 weeks before going and buying the Hayabusa!
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:26 AM   #57
Stonedog
Founding Member

Kawasaki NEEDS to bring this bike to the US. believe it or not, non of the current crop of middle weight standards are that appealing to me. Something about this one does it for me (despite wading through Babelfish's hack translation).
Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 AM   #58
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599 and one more

If you're willing to pay the price for the Buell, then I agree, look at the S2R. I rode an old Honda off-road during junior high and HS and then put a little time in on a 450 Nighthawk one summer in college. I then went 9 years without riding and bought a 750 Monster, so in some ways it was my "first" bike. It was a great choice. The bike has enough "go" to still keep me happy yet it has a predictable and easy power delivery. It has strong Brembos and is very easy to flick through the twisties, while still being rather stable at speed.

As far as reliability, I had a gas tank leak that was fixed under warranty during my first year. Other than that, the bike's going on 13,000 miles with no problems. I still love the bike, but if it had a-6 speed gearbox and a few more hp, it would be perfect. That sounds a lot like the S2R.

You might also want to check out the Multistrada 620. I test rode a MS 1000SDS and if you're not short, that's a great bike too. The V-strom 650 might not be a bad alternative. SV650 engine with upright ergos and more wind protection.

James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #59
lefty337
Founding Member

Default Thanks Everyone

Hey, I just want to say thanks for all the responses. The advice is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I feel like I should respond to everyones posts but that would take days. Instead, I think I will just let you guys know my current plans.

First, keep in mind that the Shadow I am inheriting has only about 10,000 miles on it. I don't believe it has ever been dropped and has been garage kept it's entire life. My dad barely drove it and my uncle drove it for a year or two. I plan on fixing it mostly because I am still paying off school loans and can't afford a brand new bike until I get a raise (hopefully at the end of the year).

Next, I plan on test riding several bikes before I ever buy anything. If a dealer won't let me test ride something, I won't buy it. It's as simple as that.

I don't have to worry too much about passengers because my girlfriend doesn't even want to talk about my getting a bike, let alone will she ever get on it. You wouldn't believe the amount of $h!t that she has given me about the whole situation.

Insurance for me is outragous right now for the 599 (Proggressive quoted me $3000 for the year and DairyLand wouldn't even ensure me.) I don't have the experience and I had an accident about 2 years ago. Maybe after that's off my record my insurance rates will go down.

As for other bike suggestions, I've looked around and something about those two bikes really just get my gears going. I know that I will not be able to ride either one to their full capabilities for some time, so I'm not really worried too much about True performance specs. It's more of a 'which bike is better for a beginner and is better suited to what I want' type of question.

Also, I didn't mention in my original letter that my dad owns an automotive repair shop in Philly and I'm not too bad with the machines myself. I'd imagine a motorcycle is easier to work on than a car but I guess I'll have to find out the hard way.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help!

Lee
lefty337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #60
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Thanks Everyone

"Next, I plan on test riding several bikes before I ever buy anything. If a dealer won't let me test ride something, I won't buy it. It's as simple as that. "

You are already on the right road. After test riding all bikes you consider, the picture becomes much clearer. Always INSIST on riding before you buy.