Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   XB-9 CityX or Honda 599? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2864-xb-9-cityx-honda-599-a.html)

GrufRude 06-22-2005 01:51 PM

Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

Don't put a DIME in the Shadow. Put the Shadow in a truck and roll on down to your Honda dealer. Use the Shadow as your down payment on the 599 and start enjoying a motorcyle that will do EVERYTHING you are looking for.

My 22 year old son got into bikes late (despite his old man's 40 year addiction), and the ONLY complaint he has about his Honda 919 is that ALL the bike mags misled him badly about the 919's 'lack' of performance -- the supposedly docile naked Honda is an absolute ROCKET that works so well and goes so fast that he is getting tired of constantly monitoring his speed to avoid the Law . . . Looking back, he wishes he'd gone with the 599. . .

(Probably important to note that when my son finally told me he wanted to ride, I made him rebuild my old SL100 and ride it in the UGLIEST muddiest conditions he could and keep riding until he could do it FAST without falling down. From there he got an old Elsinore and tore up the fireroads for a year or so until he traded it in on an old FZR 600 -- and after a 1000 mile tour to the Top 'O the Rockies Rally on that crude little crotch rocket, he swore he'd NEVER do another extended trip on a crotch rocket again -- the 919 was in the garage 3 weeks later.)

sportbikebandit 06-22-2005 02:26 PM

Yep put a few bricks in the crate and she wants to get up her hind legs a beg like a puppy.

HornetRider 06-22-2005 02:53 PM

no milk crate. It does like to sit up off the stop lights when the need arises. and a faded red 5 yr old 'stich for skin protection, a hold over from my Connie.

yoavy11 06-22-2005 03:03 PM

Thank you Jesus, the truth is out!

Amen!!!

yoavy11 06-22-2005 03:12 PM

You cannot load any luggage on the CityX.

Plastic "gas tank" kills the use of a tank bag.

The back is just tiny, but if you'll succed loading anything safely back there, at least it will stop the road goo from flying up you're jacket and helmet.

Don't you just hate riding with a backpack?

umarth 06-22-2005 03:15 PM

I know it isn't an ption, but get the SV650. You can find about 7 or 8 midsize/beginner bike reviews in archives or online and the SV always wins. Or at least comes in second place. I like the idea of riding the shadow for a year. Then decide what you find yourself doing most often and get a bike that compliments that. Which will probably the the SV650.

gbrummett 06-22-2005 03:18 PM

I'm tired of hearing about HONDA!!

My new 2004 HOnda Goldwing has been in the shop twice in 3,000 miles for recalls one of which took the bike away for over a month to have the frame rewelded. Not to mention the rear intercom holder falling off.

My 2004 Buell XB12S which I have 16.000 miles on now has only had one problem, cracked horn mounts but other then that not a problem in the world.

Nplateau 06-22-2005 03:34 PM

Worse than Sean's writing...

Thanks Kpaul for reminding me of Babelfish. The translation leaves something to be desired though. It basically reads like one of Sean's first drafts. Just kidding. It's better than that. Okay, well maybe not. LOL. Just kidding. Sean's a credit to the profession. Wow, that was tough.

Anyhoo, I love it when new bike info begins leaking.

Nplateau 06-22-2005 03:36 PM

Johnny, just say no...

to drugs. Unless you want to share.

uway 06-22-2005 05:09 PM

I've put ~ 1000 miles in 3 weeks on the used xb9r I just bought. it's my first bike. i've ridden before but probably only a total of about 200 miles on the street before I bought the firebolt. the bike is not stock. the guy i bought it from designed the SVVS and the prototype is still on the bike. he added a modified Buell race muffler, a tuned ECM, and a steering damper (which it didnt need, from what I've read). I dont know what they sound like stock, but mine sounds absolutely fantabulous. i dont know if I'll ever be able to make the jump to a four cylinder after riding this thing. I'm not the 100mph type, and the Buell is just fine on the bottom end. plus, if you ride with a lady, she can experience the rush of acceleration without risking limb and license. The roar from that race muffler sounds so nice and not crotch rockety at all.

whatever bike you get, take it slow for at least a week or so. I'm not saying go crazy after that, and I'm not saying i'm a good rider, but right about week two (500 miles or so for me), you figure some things out, relax a little bit, and can watch the people around you instead of concentrating on how to make the bike go where you want it to.

btw, i'm 6'0 and the bike is not cramped for me at all.

here's my advice: buy the buell, put the race kit on it, and laugh as the r6's and gixxers stomp you in a straight line. they'll be on crutches or in jail before long, and you'll still be running it up to 55 in 3 seconds with no worries.