Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #31
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

"I love her" Enough said. Kid (Lee) get the 599. No rider uses these words unless the bike is great.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #32
johnnyb
Founding Member

hey man u got plastic milk crate bungeed on back yet? jc whitney leatherette jacket? sweet. U get any big air on her?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #33
smackd2k
Founding Member

That's funny, two years ago I was in almost the same predicament. I was about to inherit an old Honda Shadow. It supposedly only needed a new battery. But I suspected it might need a little more as well. So instead of messing with that I bought a 3 year old Suzuki SV650 for $2750. Loved it, rode the hell out of it for a year. Then I sold it for $50 less than I paid for it! Never put a dime into it. Except oil and gas. Then I bought my dream bike at the time, a 2002 R6. Next year I'm hoping to do the same for a 2006 R1....
smackd2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #34
acecycleins
Founding Member

The guy is young and unless he's independently weathly money plays a factor. Reality dictates he should go for a SV650s- used. But most of these guys want shiney new things instead of reliable used things. Personally, I'd just suck it put and go for a S2R. Ducati's pull chicks. Just ask my girlfriend how many she's gotten.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #35
nutsosane
Founding Member

My 2004 Buell XB12s only cost me $9000 and that's financing included. I'm 28 years old and insurance with all the coverage one could hope to have is $600 annually. I'm 6'3" and find that the fit for me is surprisingly comfortable. The 2005 City X is still being sold at little to no discount, so if you're so inclined try the XB12. Just yesterday I did 175 miles without going over 60 mph( the last hour in a torrential rainstorm) realizing that was just the best ride of my life. Except for that fighter jet that came streaking out of nowhere causing me to doubt whether I still had bladder control, it was the best day-off in a good while. I would recommend getting what you want. WHEN YOU ARE READY
nutsosane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #36
Easyenough
Founding Member

I just bought a used 2004 599 with 350 miles on it (for next to nothing) on saturday June 25th and I've already (4 days) put 700 miles on it with some city riding and a lot of highway miles. I absolutely love the thing and if its anything like my '78 Honda cb750 it's going to go forever.

I'm a bit of a gearhead and one of my considerations was getting a bike that I could understand and modify and do work on down the road - and in my mind, carburation will definately make that easier.

Riding a crappy bike first will definately make the second one seem great, but the difference in safety (braking mostly) between bikes 10 years apart is pretty amazing.

welcome to the team
Easyenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #37
ncelik
Registered Member

I second this. You have no way knowing which bike will suite you better now. Once you start riding, you may get an better idea.

Before I began riding, I was all about cruisers. 300 miles later, I knew I did not anything to do with cruisers.

Fix the shadow (or buy a bike under $1000). Ride for a year. Then you will have a better feeling what you want.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

...or maybe a slightly used Jawa 90....I have one around here somewhere.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #39
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

U can use babelfish

to translate the site from French to english.

sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #40
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

So you have already put 700 miles on a bike you won't even buy for another three days? Sounds to me like you're qualified to work at MO!