Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #21
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

Buell XB-9 + Honda 599 + SV650 / 3 =

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...s-images-.html
SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #22
Tigercub
Founding Member

We were in Phily last summer, the weather was great and Center City has changed a lot for the beter since we lived there.

Consider the Triumph Speed 4. It has a great riding position, which allows you to stretch out more than the Buell. I'm very cramped on the Buell. The Triumph is very reliable!! The Buell would be more of a hobby bike, which appeals to me to no end. But, I'm an older rider and grew up on bikes that needed my constant attention - they reward you for it. Anyway, you probably want something you only have to add gas to and leave the rest to the dealer. So, the Honda is your best bet. But, if you want something different, faster and better handling, get the Triumph.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:11 AM   #23
Nplateau
Founding Member

I'm a bit biased here, because my own heart is set on the Honda 599.

Honda build quality, reliabilty, a CBR F3 motor, and great looks. The City X seems like a great bike, too, but I think the 599 will suit you better in the long run. It'll rev higher (for the little speed freak in you), has plenty down low for city work, and the seat is very nice. If you have a significant other, she (or he, if that's what you prefer) will enjoy the passenger accomodations on the 599 much better.

A while back, Sean and I were talking about the 599, and we both agreed that when you sit on the bike, it just feels so right. Even though I'm the resident Ninja 250 honk, never missing an opportunity to extol the little Ninja's virtues, I wish my first bike was the 599. If it were I probably wouldn't be so desperate to move up.

A couple of things to consider though before you make your purchase. You're still young, so think about insurance rates. The 599 will probably be cheaper than the 9X. The 9X will, however, give you better gas mileage. I don't the intricacies by which Buell/Harley accomplishes this (loping V-twin versus screaming in-line 4?), but given gas prices, it's something to consider.

A while back, MO did an excellent piece on standards where the 599 came out on top. Take a gander at that review. I'm to lazy to post the link, but just go to the bike reviews section and look up the Honda 599 and it will take you right to it.

Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #24
Nplateau
Founding Member

WOWZA!!! Any idea if it will make it to production in the U.S.? If it is comparatively priced... oh my... I'm just... I'm just salivating!!!
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #25
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

The Triumph uses clip-ons and puts you in a much more "sportbike" riding position, while the 9SX and 599 use real handlebars and put you in a nice neutral position offering great comfort and control.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Its a parralel twin 650. Does have the agressive look for a street fighter.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM   #27
acecycleins
Founding Member

From the Insurance Guy that everyone loves to hate. GET A SPEED 4. The 599 is a great bike. The Buell you get hit for the cc size. The Buell would be a fun bike but why pay more because the cc size is greater. You'll be able to wheel and deal a 599 or Speed 4 for under $7k in a heart beat. You'll, also, be able to find full coverage insurance for these bike at under $1100 annually for your age- if you driving record doesn't suck.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #28
johnnyb
Founding Member

how predictable insurance man gallops in at last minute to flush the day down the ****ter. speed 4 yick looks like something a gay san franciscan would ride with mincey little flames on the ugly little air thingys. yick. and the honda is not much better buzzy little econobox. U need Buell or Speed Triple Triumph.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #29
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Take it from somone who bought a new replica-racer as first bike, do as Sean says. Ride the crap out of the Shadow then buy a bike in the fall. Perhaps a carry-over by then. $800 is cheap for 94 Shadow I think, compared to a new bike that you may not want in few months i.e. you may change your mind on what type of bike you want.

But if you buy the Buell we expect monthly reports on it... Have fun I would buy the Honda cause I love Inline 4s.

P.S. Wear a full-face helmet and good jacket...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:40 PM   #30
HornetRider
Founding Member

As a current owner of a bright yellow 599 - get it you will not be sorry. I ride the 101 here outside LA every morning and hit canyons on my home or on the weekend. I love her. My 599 packs a nice punch when need. No complaints or worries - it's a Honda!
HornetRider is offline   Reply With Quote