Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: XB-9 CityX or Honda 599?

who me? how about the 7th?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

Lee, it is a nice change to hear a first time buyer ask a reasonable question. Most of the time people want to know which tank is easier to stand on during a "christ", GSXR or ZX-10.

Between the two, I'd go with the 599 for a bunch of reasons.(listed above)

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #13
Pinkslip
Founding Member

The two current options you listed are good bikes for what you are looking for right now. Keep in mind, though, that you may want a totally different bike in a year.

Riding them will significantly affect the way you feel about them, too. I say ride the Shadow for a year and get some miles under you. That way, when you ride the bikes you're interested in moving up to (whether they are still the Buell and Honda, or completely different choices by then) you'll have the experience to appreciate the different riding styles.

Aside from reliability and overall costs (insurance, maintenance, parts, etc) no one can really suggest a perfect bike for you. Try directing your questions about bikes in a more model-specific manner; Rather than ask someone something as objective as "Which is better?" ask "What were your impressions of this bike's (braking, suspension- softer or harder-, slow-speed manueverablity, freeway stability, luggage options, etc) compared to that bike's?"

And finally, welcome to the motorcycling community.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #14
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We'll be using it through the 11th for a multi-bike shootout to Laguna and back. Wanna come?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
laidbak
Founding Member

Have you considered the Triumph Speed Four? Awesome bike, very reliable and for someone living in the Phila suburbs, getting it serviced when needed shouldnt be a problem, (Manayunk, Hatboro, Pottstown); enough dealer presence to feel safe about ownership and service.

Though if you are focussed on ones you suggested, go with the Honda.
laidbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #16
bollert
Registered Member

I have the XB-12R and I've had only one complaint - the fuel injection. It's difficult to get used to, as it's not perfect like any of the other bikes. It's annoying sometimes. Other than that - stone reliable and a real eye-catcher. Don't forget, there is the whole riding experience that no one is talking about, maybe because most haven't ridden a Buell. Do yourself a favor and test ride one when you are ready - Buell will let ya! Just remember when you start it and you're disappointed that there's no booming V-Twin sound, $300 will get you a muffler that increases the sound and experience ten-fold. Ego factoroesn't matter if I take mine to an all-harley event or a sportbike ride, I feel very proud of the attention it gets. For me, that is a major part of the fun of ownership. Ok, enough before someone thinks I'm selling them. Just in case you think I'm narrow-minded, I also ride a 04 ZX-10R, 03 CBR-600RR, 03 WR-450F and 1987 Super-Magna (I love saying that)
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

You are young - buy cheap, used and don't committ just yet!

Of course, I'm an oldish phart answering a question you didn't ask. Ask yourself why I would do such a thing.

As for the question you asked, I have no answer Grasshopper. Its the old inside or outside the box question. The bottom line is only you can answer the question and only with experience. Be safe: buy the Honda and have fun. Be different: buy the Buell and have fun.

You ain't a gonna lose either way.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #18
johnnyb
Founding Member

eh? starting when? i was gonna go up friday and ride back monday.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:02 AM   #19
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

We're leaving mid-day Thursday the 7th and returning Sunday evening.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

I agree, the 599 is the best choice for an all around bike and as the Hornet is the top seller in Europe. The 599 or the 919 are also the only thing in Hondas cuurent line I'd buy. I will break from the pack here and say go out and buy it now. Chances are the Shadow is going to cost more than $800 to fix by the time you're done with it

Better to put the money down on a new 599 and take advantage of the financing Honda has going right now. You'll have a good handling and reliable bike with a warranty and zero miles to ride instead a "free" bike that's costing you repairs before you can even ride it.

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote