Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Advice Regarding Wikco Tire Changer

This appears to be exactly the same stand we reviewed in the tire changing article last spring but painted blue and with a brand name on it. Steven posted the link in the lead to this news item.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
GrufRude
Registered Member

At $200 for the wheel balancer, you might want to look at an article I wrote a while ago for the AirHeads BMW club.

http://www.airheads.org/index.php?Te...l%20Balance r

GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Tigercub
Founding Member

I followed the article cited above for changing my Speed 4 rear tire and it worked as advertised. I used a 12" C-clamp to break the bead, but it's slow and a lot of work. You have to be careful the C-clamp doesn't slip down the tire and ding the rim.

Once loose the tire came off the rim pretty easily with a little soap and water and two long tire irons.

I haven't gotten to the front, because I refuse to spring for a bike lift and had to build a gallows to hoist the front of the bike up by it's neck. It's taken another week to find a 17mm hex wrench to fit the Triumph axle (everyone else uses 19mm or larger). I'd called every bike shop and tool supply place in town and waisted an hour on the useless internet. I found sources for them, but they were expensive and I wanted one now! It turns out the closest car parts store had one in the form of a Volkswagon 3/8" drive, 17mm hex drain plug wrench - $4. Small successes, make it worth forging ahead.

Anyway, the hardest part is getting the tire off the ground - even trickier if you need to remove the fork to replace the seal - you really need a hoist for that.

The next difficult part was seating the tire. I used the local gas station and pumped in 80psi with a little soapy water. Keep your fingers clear!!

I rebuilt the top end of my Harley, replaced a cam, a lifter, installed new pushrods, and pistons, waited 2-weeks for head rebuild and cylinder bore and ran the engine in, in less time than I've spent so far, replacing tires on that Triumph.

Modern bikes are great, but you don't really own them. They are sort of leased from the dealer, repair shops and parts manufacturers until nobody wants it anymore, which seems to be just a few years.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
blitz
Founding Member

In the late 1970's and early 1980's, while a young'un, I used the Coats 220 at the shop i worked at all the time. Beautiful machine. It changed my life. Before the 220, I *hated* doing tires; after the 220, I looked forward to it.

That being said, the 220 is overkill for the home mechanic. I have 7 motorcycles (3 dirt, 4 street), and change all of my own tires, both tubed and tubeless. I have the Harbor Freight tire changing machine, and use it only to break beads. Once the bead is broken, i use long Motion Pro tire levers to lever the tire off of the rim. I also used Motion Pro rim protectors to protect the rim from lever marks.

This rig works great for someone who changes fewer than one tire per day. But, I am also cheap, and although I'd love the 220, it doesn't make sense for the average home mechanic. However, if you have the dough, go for it.

If you understand the basics of tire changing (i.e., start at the stem, end at the stem,

and make sure the bead is in the drop section of the rim while levering tires on and off), you don't really need the machine. By practicing without a machine, you're more able to fix your own tires on the road or on the trail.

My $0.02.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
blitz
Founding Member

One trick i use to lift/hoist the front end of your motorcycle (provided you have access to an area where you have rafters) is to use 2 tiedowns and a small bottle jack.

Connect two tiedowns to the rafter, and one each to each side of the handlebar. Pull the tiedowns tight. Now, put the bottlejack under the engine/fame, and raise it up a bit. On the tiedown with slack, pull the slack up, putting tension on the tiedown. Move the jack to the other side, and repeat. In about 3 minutes, you'll have the bike up and ready to go.

Works like a champ, and is WAY cheaper than some stand deal.

FWIW.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
maladg
Registered Member

Airheads website Tech dept is a wonderful treasure trove of good info. Especially for those who want to DIY.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
pattonme
Founding Member

Default dude, ever hear of a front stand?

or a simiple car jack?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
blitz
Founding Member

Default Re: dude, ever hear of a front stand?

Dude, learn to read and think.

1. He didn't want to buy a front stand. (that's the reading part).

2. The speed 4 doesn't have a center stand. How do you keep the bike from falling over with

just a car jack? you *could* use a car jack and pivot on the side stand, but my guess is that with that $7k investment, you would want something a bit less wobbly. (that's the thinking part).

See. if you read and think, you can solve problems, even those with constraints.