Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Noob Question About Ergonomics/Seats (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2840-noob-question-about-ergonomics-seats.html)

Dangerousdave_2 06-10-2005 03:59 PM

Re: Noob Question About Ergonomics/Seats

It makes no sense to me either. Even the fancy cast aluminum jobs ought to be slightly adjustable for height with strategically placed spacers, and a bit of room in the fairing for that sort of thing. How much can it cost to have the wiring and stuff 3 inches longer?

brax4444 06-10-2005 04:02 PM

You have a valid complaint but if the R1150R is comfortable for you, what more could you want in a bike?

Airfiddler 06-10-2005 04:34 PM

Sitting on a bike in a showroom is one thing.

Being comfortable around the city, and on the highway is another. Test ride your three or four top choices and go from there. There are aftermarket seats and bar risers so you can change the ergos within limits on many bikes.

It's a tough, but fun decision...

Fenton 06-10-2005 05:41 PM

Zenboy, how about giving your measurements so there is a baseline of what bikes will or won't fit. I bet somebody here is your size and sitting on a bike that fits great.

Many seat manufacturers (corbin, sargent,mustang,etc) seat's will alter the seat/peg relationship due to foam thickness.

Heli and cycle cat also make bar risers.

Now that I got through all that. If you "feel" good on the R1150R, go get one. You can find '04's w/abs for under $10k and w/o abs for under $9k.

Best of Luck.

Pinkslip 06-10-2005 06:05 PM

I would like to point to MO's article a few weeks back about buying a bike. Have you established what type of riding you'll be doing? Clearly, a 999 is not a realistic option for the criteria you briefly listed, but you can persue sport-touring, standard, cruiser, etc.

Many bikes can have their bars swapped for different rakes, heights, widths, etc, just as you can with bicycles. Even if you're interested in a sport bike, you can often find more comfortable clip-on's (Helibars) to bring the grips up and farther back. Similarly, Sargent Cycle and Corbin both offer an impressive selection of more comfy seats for many popular models.

Also, just yesterday I was discussing with a friend how some body types just match a certain bike better than others. My friend, for example, finds my Mille very comfortable for a sport bike, while I experienced lower back pain for a week and a half until my body adjusted to the sport bike I just transitioned from.

Good luck.

sliphorn 06-10-2005 06:18 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you don't even know how to ride a moto yet. So if that's the case, howse 'bout learnin how to do that first. MSF or some other training. I think Buell offers courses that you can take on one of their Blast's.

sportbikebandit 06-10-2005 07:30 PM

Should I say it Buz? you know the gym thing.....:)

cptaebphd 06-11-2005 01:53 AM

I got the same impression as sliphorn. Zenboy, if you're looking for either a 1st bike or a bike after many years w/o one, you're looking at the wrong end of the moto food chain and are well on your way to being another baby boomer statistic.

Please get something light and tame (Ninja 250 comes to mind), ride it until you're competent, and then get one of the bikes that cause such lust in middle aged men..... Life's too short to be dead.

longride 06-11-2005 02:19 AM

I've ridden bicycles for years also. For me, the most comfortable bicycle in the world is much worse than the most uncomfortable motorcycle. I've ridden many motorcycles, and none of them are THAT bad. Plus, there is a world of difference between sitting on a bike in a showroom and riding it for any distance. If nothing works for you, the standard advice around here is "Go to the gym." That has been know to fix every problem with every bike known to mankind. Suffer like a man??? Ashley was that you??

Buzglyd 06-11-2005 03:38 AM

You might want to tell him to work on his 40 metre dash times as well.