Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 AM   #11
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Noob Question About Ergonomics/Seats

Don't forget the triple jump.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

I also think you're a bit ahead of yourself. I'm not sure you can reasonably determine which motorcycle is comfortable and which is not without some riding experience. Sitting on a bike only tells part of the story.

Some of the impression that motorcycles are uncomfortable is probably due to you not being accustomed to being on one. With some riding time, you might discover that what you thought was uncomfortable actually isn't and vice versa.

That being said, OEM seats on many bikes are notoriously crappy. But there usually are aftermarket solutions available by makers like Corbin and Sargent, etc. Bars are a little tougher, but there are quite a few risers available for clip-on types and if you've got a standard, it's fairly easy to swap tubular bars out for another set.

Obligatory starter bike advice: Start smaller and get a standard. Get some training and be smart.

Good luck and welcome to riding.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #13
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

You did not say where you live, but Rich's custom seats www.richscustomseats.com in Seattle will make your existing seat match your own posture (and adds things like gel pads etc). Had it done on my VFR after back surgery and the the difference was amazing. Even custom was less that a Corbin or Sargent as it used my existing seat as a starting point.

Grif
steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #14
jfk22
Founding Member

My wife and I started riding a few years ago and I had the same problem. I wasn’t able to ride for more than ½ an hr without a major pain in the butt. My wife had little sympathy; she rides a 91 Honda Night Hawk with no mods and can ride all day and not complain. I tried some of those gel cushioned bicycle shorts. They added maybe 5 min. I spent some money on a Corbin seat for my old Katana. It takes about 1,000 mi before it breaks in (or my butt finally broke in). Now I can ride 1 ½ to 2 hours before my rear-end starts going numb. Now I have a brand new Triumph Sprint, it's comfy around town but I haven't had a chance to take it on a long trip yet. For the ergos in general find the bike that fits you best then build up to longer rides. I think it takes some time to develop the strength and flexibility in your motorcycle muscles. Remember when it starts to hurt take a break.
jfk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #15
Vlad
Registered Member

Zenboy:

In general I find that no bike precisely fits me, so I end up modifying it to fit. Unfortunately bike salesmen usually know very little about how to change a bike to fit you. Many resources can help, from the special seat options at companies like Corbin, Sargent, etc.; to the guys from Helibars and others who can change out your handlebars. The Ducati ST3 even has bars that can be adjusted.

The MOrons have given you some good feedback, since they have years of experience doing what works to make a good bike fit better.

Decide on the riding position you favor, the focus on that type of bike. From your choice of the R1150R, I would say you're looking at what most people call "standard, upright riding position." Lots of bikes fit this decription. You may want to look at the Suzuki DL650, a Ducati Multistrada, a Honda 599, etc.

You may also find that what works in the showroom won't work on the street. Cruisers feel great to me on the showroom floor, but I can't ride one any distance. The VFR feels too leaned over on the showroom floor, but gives me day long comfort in the saddle. (I also had the seat lowered about 1.5 inches at the local upholstery shop.) If I had wanted to be more upright, Heli makes a great kit for the VFR.

It may take you a while to find out what works best. Then again, the R1150R has tremendous aftermarket support.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
zenboy
Registered Member

Thanks for all the comments. I'm starting the MSF course next week. Planning to take their advanced course later and way down the road go to Keith Code's school and after that some track days. It's hard for someone with little experience to know what they'll get used to and what will drive them off the bike, although I've read the blog of an experienced rider that says his Duc 999 has brought him extreme pain and extreme joy, so that tells me a lot about what I'm in for. I'm 5-10, 32" inseam 31" sleeve. I know for sure I won't be getting anything like a crotch rocket both for lack of comfort and riding skill. I've noticed Helibars, Corbin and Sargent mentioned a lot and will look into them. I'm planning to check out a lot of bikes including the SV650 and Multistrada, stuff that is fun but won't launch me into my next lifetime if I sneeze.
zenboy is offline   Reply With Quote