Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: A less than complete oil change

Geeheezuz, I thought stuff like that only happens to me...

Scream to the service manager, if he doesn't help, go up the chain of command, even to the manufacturer of bikes they represent. Write letters, send email, etc.

Way back in the stone age Glendale Honda rebuilt my 1971 CB350. Except they overbored one of the cylinders wrong, 40 over vs. 20. Made horrible piston-slap noises. The service manager said, and I quote "they all make that noise".

To make a long story short I had Glendale Honda rebuild it again, and they cut me a 50% discount off the price. They got it right the second time.

Then there was the time Glendale Honda left the air cleaner element out of my new '83 XL600R. Needless to say I don't use Glendale Honda much anymore.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
Tigercub
Founding Member

They added two quarts of oil and then more when it returned to the dealership? I've never had a bike hold more than four qts of oil, most are closer to three.

They definitely forgot to add oil and if the bike started making noises, there was a lot of metal making contact in the motor after a mile of running. I'd drain the oil and check for metal in the oil and on any of the magnetic drain plugs. But, with 42k on the clock you may have to negotiate a major discount on a new bike!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Another reason to buy a shop manual and do the routine maintenance yourself. I wouldn't even let most dealers air up my tires.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
SRMark
Founding Member

Everyone makes mistakes. They should just be glad the engine didn't seize, throwing your wife in front of a bus. They need to realize they dodged a big bullet here. They then need to bite the little bullet and do either of MO's recommendations mentioned above. If I owned the shop I buy the bike from you at its fair market value.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Tigercub is right. Check for metal shavings in the oil. But even if you don't find any it's pretty sure that the engine has received severe damage somewhere. The only way to be sure is a complete teardown. I'd certainly not trust the bike to go anywhere until it is fully inspected internally.

The problem is... do you want to trust the same dealer to fix the problem who caused it?

Many years ago I met an ex-bike mechanic who used to work for Torrance Honda. He said he quit because of the shoddy maintenance and corrupt tactics. An example was a totally worn out visibly smoking 305 Scrambler that the dealer took on trade. They thickened up the oil with copious amounts of STP and sold it to some sucker.

So ya gotta be really careful about dealers. Many are just crooks. Many are honest, too. I like to check out dealerships during lunch. If the mechanics are smoking dope in the back you are in trouble.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Some use a lot more. The air/oil cooled Zookis use over 5 quarts. I know, it costs me $30 in Mobil1 every time I change it.

Also, dry sump engines can get away with less oil without damaging anything.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Versus what? Chug-a-lugging Mickeys Big Mouths?

Being a bike mechanic is tough. Lots of stress. IÂ’ve found that ingesting a big fat doobie, or a couple 24 ouncers of Old English behind the shop frees up the decision making processes when faced with a horribly complicated task, say like adjusting the valves on an R1. Instead of saying to yourself "Oh Christ, now IÂ’ve got to take out the camshaft " you actually look forward to it, and have a good time doing it. But count those shims afterwards.

Also cuts down on the cursing and tool-throwing, mostly because you donÂ’t want the service manager to smell your breath.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Especially if the mechanics are bogarting the whole damn thing!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #9
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Sad, but oh so true!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Tigercub
Founding Member

I think for some of us - mostly old Brit bike riders - the only assurance you have of total control over bike maintenance and repair is to own one type of bike and get to know it thouroughly. The old pushrod Brit bikes don't count much for performance today, although they are as much fun as any bike, but you can do everything yourself and with the occasional help of a machine shop. Or, an Evo Harley.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote