Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Newbie Upgrade

Nice problem to have... they're all good bikes!

Though right now I'm in lust with the little Multistrada. Can't miss, pick whichever one turns ya on.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

From an insurance stand (i sell bike insurance only) the bikes i'd pick are: sv650, (if in england) the new bandit 650, m620, ninja500, dr400sm, multistrada 620. i've riden all but the bandit and form the english rags, so far, the bandit reviews were pretty good. if you want fun and small look for a good used fzr400. good luck-
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
pdxgeek
Founding Member

Don't buy the Suzuki SV 650S, its riding position is basically that of a sport bike. You will be much more comfortable on the FZ6 or the Kawasaki Z750.

Now I believe all three models have this, but I must say, I LOVE fuel injection. I'm not buying another bike without it (unless its a really great deal). The reason I bring this up is I'm kinda waiting for an FZ1 redesign... maybe 06? It's due. If you think you can mind your throttle, you may want to skip the intermediaries and go right to a liter bike.

Dave
pdxgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

the guy is coming off of a 250 cc bike the sv650 is an excellent bike- the fz6 is wayyyyyyy out of his league (almost 100 hp) and the same goes for the z750. this person need a bike in the 70 hp or under range. the true contender here could be the lovable but butt-ugly dl650.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
jungkvist
Founding Member

I guess I should start out by saying that I have a definite V-twin bias, and that's why the SV is my obvious advice. However, I wouldn't choose the SVS. Buy the naked SV, get rid of the standard bars and replace them with drag-bars ($15 - $20 U.S.) then install a pair of Napoleon wrap-around, bar-end mirrors ($50 a pair) and you'll never have to look at your elbows again. For wind protection: there are several very good sport and sport-touring windscreens that can be had for under $100.00 (National Cycle comes to mind).

The benefit of this set-up is that with a few basic tools and about 5 minutes, you can go from putting around on a pleasant commuter to a hauling a$$ on a capable cafe' racer - all you need to do is change the angle of your controls.

Keep in mind that the SV's front end is very mushy: good for strolling, bad for strafing. You can have the front end shimmed and the shock-oil change to a heavier weight for under $100.

The above add-ons to the standard SV come in under $300.00 and - if I remember right - that's still less than what you'll pay for the SVS. In the end, you'll have a much more versatile bike and no expensive plastic to break. Of course, the Napoleons will be roached in a lay-down but you can buy them separately for $25.00 - they're interchangeable from side to side, so order 3.

One last thing: The SV has a monstrous after-market. If you can’t find something, don’t worry – it will probably be available, sometime soon.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

Well thats a tough one, because you do country and city often. Sounds like you are on a little bit of a budget. If you don't white line often I would say get a Kawasaki concours. If you do white line then try a honda f4i . The suzuki sv650s is a great choice

also.
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Rubble
Founding Member

Dare to be different, get a Suzuki Burgman 650. Speed, handling, comfort and convenience. You have to understand that this is a step through motorcycle and not your Italian uncle's Vespa. Take one for a test ride. I dare ya.

Rubble
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:55 AM   #8
bod
Founding Member

how about a good used vfr800 you can get fuel injection not pay an arm and a leg its comfortable durable with lots of accesories available Just a thought
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

YOU GUYS ARE ALL THE SAME. THIS GUY IS COMING OFF A 250CC BIKE. HE NEEDS REAL WORLD ADVICE. AS FOR A MUSHY SV SUSPENSION. UNLESS THIS GUY JUST CAME OFF AN APRILIA RS250 HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. HELPING HIM IS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. REAL RIDERS WON'T SUGGEST SOMETHING A NEWBIE CAN'T HANDLE. THINK GUYS.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
schizuki
Founding Member

Could you speak up? I can't hear you.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote