Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Newbie Upgrade (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/2783-newbie-upgrade.html)

Caravan 05-09-2005 12:54 PM

Re: Newbie Upgrade

...well, I'd vote for the naked SV650 or the DL650. I'm predjudiced, of course, because I'm riding a beautiful V-Strom. OK...okay! but love IS blind.

Either would be a great upgrade for a new rider.

iamz 05-09-2005 02:36 PM

In all seriousness,....

....as a first bike or, if you can only have one bike, I would recommend a Suzuki DR650SE. It's cheap to buy and you can drop it as many times as you want and pretty much nothing will get hurt. You can take it off road, or take it as far as you want on road because it's very comfortable for all day travels and will have no problem cruising at 65 or 70 all day long. It will also be very reliable, and you can do all your own maintenance easily.

flybimmer 05-09-2005 03:12 PM

I have a DL650 VStrom...and absolutely love it. It's got a great torque/hp curve, plenty of pep, and its comfortable. Plus...despite being somewhat ungainly looking...it's very nimble.

My two cents...

NGC7006 05-09-2005 03:25 PM

I asked a similar question back in '88. Ended up with a left over BMW R65 that I still ride routinely. All 45 HP (on a good day), mushy stock suspension, long throw transmission, clicky valves and the rest. Haven't regretted it. Why? I've done 5 track days at Loudon with it, ridden 10,000 miles in a month cross country (love those hard bags and Plexifairing III), commuted extensively, and ridden long distances in the cold, rain, heat and everything in between. Upgrades to the suspension and brakes were the biggest improvements. Can't say as it's been all that reliable (once broke a rocker arm up in Canada, installed the new one with the tools on the bike and made it home), but you learn and anticipate when you can and it's certainly a pleasure to work on. So...why write all this about what most would consider to be a pretty mediocre machine? Well, sounds like you do a little of everything and might just be looking for a modern bike similar in spirit to my old one. Of those now available, I'd say the DL 650 looks pretty good. Decent power, handling OK to perhaps 8 tenths, a good fairing, a nice big gas tank, you can ride it all day if you like with no pain, and long haul is just a set of softbags away. Of course, a used R850 or R1100 could be had for similar money. If well maintained, they'd run for quite some time, shaft drive is a great thing, and parts availability is good also. So thanks a bunch for your patience, and I wish you great riding no matter what you end up choosing.

cptaebphd 05-09-2005 04:20 PM

Yet another vote for the awesome DL650....I ride mine no matter the weather...the other bikes you mentioned are too focused for me.

leinj 05-09-2005 05:15 PM

SV650S is a great bike (owned one last summer) but he's right, the riding position is very aggressive. Too tough on my wrists, had to sell it. Now I have a nicely modded 2000 SV650 (naked), and it's both all-day comfortable (with flyscreen) and a lot of fun to ride.

For the type of riding he's asking about here, I'd probably recommend the VStrom 650, FZ6, or naked SV.

jjasper 05-09-2005 08:06 PM

I am going to post a few most others would never consider. But the BMW F650CS or even GS is you are tall enough are perfect for this type of riding. CS has decent weather protection and is a blast to ride. They are BMW pricey though so if you can find one used or something you can save a lot.

Another is the Aprilia Pegaso, which I have not ridden but looks pretty great. There is the V-strom as well, like the BMW it isn't the prettiest thing to look at.

When the heck are there going to be some online reviews of the DR-Z400? I have not seen one online mag review this very tasty bike.

Steven_Verschoor 05-09-2005 08:32 PM

Yes, this would be an great bike!

If you're going to be riding in all sorts of weather, that low-maintenance shaft drive will make you happy.

The Breva should also be easy to work on, so regular maintenance shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Plus the Breva is stylish and comfortable.

Steven_Verschoor 05-09-2005 08:38 PM

I'll second the F650CS. It's very comfortable and fun. It's great for zipping around the city and will also cruise comfortably at 80 mph - yes, it will. It's also easy maintenance.

And the ABS version should prove valuable for someone who rides in the rain.

rpt 05-10-2005 04:10 AM

this is the way to go.

get one from 2000 with all the glitch taken care of.

get some pirelli corsas and drag....