Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Canyon carving machines?

I've known you all this time, and I just now went to your web site. Nice job on it ya hillbilly!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #32
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

I agree about Codes first book. Totally useless to me. I have friend that has the DVD and he lent it to me it was garbage too. My friend had the same opinion maybe his school is much better.. I haven't bought the second book yet. Fool once...Fool me twice..
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #33
smithrob75
Founding Member

Amen, good to see all the praise of the mighty 2-stroke. I catch hell over at allthingsmoto.com for sticking up for the 'ol 2 smokes. Noe that the novelty and "unfair advantage" of the MX 4 strokes has worn off people are seeing how expensive they are to work on. As they say "you'll have to pry the pre-mix from my cold, dead hands".
Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 AM   #34
maladg
Registered Member

Again and as usual, I log on late and all the necessary comments have been made: so I'll say it anyway. The tighter the road the more nekkid you need to be.

Spending $$$ on learning how to really ride is way better than spending $$$ on new bike or accessories.

And lordy do I miss my beloved 2 strokes. Yup, I'm guilty of owning an H-1, DT-1 and RD-350. Back when men were men and misquitos were DEAD!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

It's simply the downside of saving every ounce of weight. Many of the components are too light for durability now.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #36
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I have gone to three of Code's and two of Reg's schools over the years. The biggest difference is attitude. My first Code school was back in the 80's, my last in 1997. Keith's attitude was that us pathetic little peons were so lucky to have the great "guru" who trained Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Randy Mamola, and Doug Chandler (they'd have probably made it without him, ya think??) stoop to our level to teach us. I have a real problem with anyone that looks down on me when I'm spending several hundred of my hard earned quid to attend his school. Most schools have two groups: one in the classroom, one on the track. My problem with Keith is that he has three groups: one in the classroom, one on the track, and one sitting around doing absolutely nothing. Of course, this cuts way down on your classroom and, more importantly, track time. You aren't told about this on his website or the literature when you sign up. You find out at the track. At that point, if you decide you've been raped and choose not to ride, you still sacrifice all of your money. Obviously, the only thing that this benefits is Keith's wallet. I also have a problem with having to attend four schools to get the whole curriculum in. In my opinion, Keith is condescending, greedy and plays eager young riders for a bunch of suckers. However, if you are relatively inexperienced, you will learn from his school. I understand his attitude has improved in the past few years (since I've attended his school), but I'm not willing to spend any more money to sit around for a third of the day to find out.

On the other hand, Reg genuinely makes you feel welcome. He is a super gentleman and truly a class act. As far as the body-steering vs. the "No BS bike," I think they both over emphasize their positions. Keith insists body steering doesn't exist, Reg says it's the only way to steer a bike. If you go out on a back road, let go of the handlebars, push on a footpeg and push your outside knee towards that peg, your bike will steer in that direction. It'll do it slowly, but it will steer. So much for no body steering. This same techniques also confirms that body steering is not the way to turn a bike quickly or precisely. So much for Reg's theory on the major way to turn a bike. Most students of the sport pick a middle ground: both Kevin and Freddie teach that you have to do both to effectively turn a motorcycle. They teach that handlebar input is the primary way to initiate a turn and you use your body to fine tune as necessary. I suggest going to as many schools as you can, read as much as you can get your grubby little mitts on and figure what works best for you. Based on everything I've read, if you can afford it (I can't), Freddie's is the premier school in the country. Reg's is the most reasonably priced. It is geared more towards street riding than the others, and you will learn a lot and have a great time. More information on Reg's CLASS schools can be found at www.classrides.com. I hope this has answered your question. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #37
ewok1
Founding Member

Default it makes no difference whatsoever

if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:22 AM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That's how they get the quick revs out of 'em.

Like works four stroke racers of the 70's and 80's, they tend to blow up and have very high maintenance.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. Plus you have to rev 4strokes to the moon to get marginally competetive power. All that adds up to poor durability.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #40
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I have my moments.

You have got to get in on the dirtbike smackdown we have going on this summer. Loser paints their bike pink.

Crashley - u can use my powdercoating machine on yours.

seeyaman
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote