Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Canyon carving machines?

I would keep the nekkid bike to ride on the street and buy a couple of year old GSXR 600 for a track bike.

Ditto on the helmet strap, be sure to wear baggy shorts and tennis shoes so they'll know you're down wit' da' set

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default It Ain't the Tool

Add my name to the "keep-your-old-bike-and-buy-the-track-time" list. If you need to justify this decision, read "It AinÂ’t the Tool" by MO guest columnist Fred Rau http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccontr...ol/index.motml
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

KTM Sooper Motard for the canyons and a used CBR600Fi for the track.

Or a street leagal CR500 for both.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
jungkvist
Founding Member

Plastic is expensive, clip-ons are a pain and give you no leverage, and riding in a tuck hurts. Get some frame sliders and a windscreen and take your naked bike to the track.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Canyon carver? BMWVWW has a really cherry RD350 that would be just the thing for you. It's only got 5 miles on the odometer!

Failing that your only possible choices are an SV650, Concours or VFR (older one).
Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

You should stop recommending 2strokes to the newbies. It's better for them if they never learn just how inferior 4-stroke powerplants are for performance riding.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Good point plastic is expensive.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Unfortunately the RD has been sold. However I did recently aquire a pristine RG 500 Gamma with 0 miles on it, as it was only backed out of the garage once by it's previous owner, a 95 year old nun from the Our Lady of Mercy Convent. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #19
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I would strongly suggest a track school such as the CLASS schools. Reg Pridmore takes his school all over the country and is the most reasonably priced. He emphasizes street riding techniques and is an accomplished rider and teacher. He also makes you feel very welcome, unlike another "guru" that conducts reasonably priced schools throughout the US. I'm a big CLASS school fan, and based on three previous experiences, not a California Superbike School fan. Depending on your skill level, you can still learn a lot from either.

Something else you might do is a bit of reading. There are a couple of GREAT books out there and several more that are worthwhile. In my opinion, Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques" (ISBN #1893618072) is numero uno. His discussion of maintenance throttle and trailbraking are worth the price of the book on their own merit. However, he really covers every bit of sport riding from the beginning techniques to the most advanced. The next book I would highly recommend is David Hough's "MORE Proficient Motorcycling--Mastering the Ride." (ISBN # 1931993033). Hough discusses how to read the road and it's surfaces better than any other book I know of, and offers excellent advice on riding techniques, gear, visual directional control, etc. After devouring these two, here is a list of other worthwhile books, sort of in order of my preference for whatever that is worth: 1) "Total Control-High Performance Street Riding Techniques." by Lee Parks (ISBN #0760314039). 2) "Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way" by Reg Pridmore (ISBN # 1884313469). and 3) "Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code (ISBN # 0965045021).

In my opinion, Keith Code's other two books, the first "Twist of the Wrist" and "Soft Science" are pure garbage. David Hough also has out a book entitled "Proficient Motorcycling." It's a good book, but "MORE Proficient Motorcycling" covers the topics better, with more advanced techniques.

All of these books are available at Amazon.com at good discounts, usually with free shipping if you spend over $25. Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #20
Tigercub
Founding Member

Unless the track you're riding has SUVs cirulating in the opposite direction the sportbike would be better for getting weight over the front wheel and shifting your weight from side to side.

In the canyons, you can have as much fun avoiding SUVs, rocks, sand, water and other debris on a sidevalve Harley as on a GSXR.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote