Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Carl Fogarty vs. Valentino Rossi

Actually it would be fun to see a charity super moto race on 250 (4st) between any of the past champs and the modern guys. Rossi, Foggy, Ru$$ell, Mladin, toss a bunch into the ring and set back and watch.

Rossi would probably win but it'd be fun to watch.

I'm amazed, he almost complemented Ru$$ell, he must be going soft in his old age. I didn't think they liked each other much, in the day.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #12
RonXX
Founding Member

I wish I could have seen any motorcycle racing this year, but unfortunately Time Warner Cable is in the business of ripping off customers via their terrible channel selection. Sure, my wife doesn't mind at all since there are TWO 'Lifetime' channels, but I am forced to watch 'Orange County Choppers' and OLN's coverage of the Dakar rally to get my fix.

I hate Time Warner Cable!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
johnnyb
Founding Member

except there's a little gray area as to who ran into who. i think little of both.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #14
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

::Sarcasm on:: Sure, Gibernau was totally out of line for heading to the apex... I mean, he should of been watching his mirrors, right? (MotoGP bikes do have mirrors, don't they?) After all, it is the rider who is being overtaken's responsibility to avoid contact... isn't it? ::Sarcasm off::

If Rossi's brake lever hit Sete's left shoulder, it means that Rossi was still about 2' behind at the time of the impact. If he was going much faster than Sete before the impact (and he was) it means he was about 5' behind when Sete actually turned-in for the corner. How can you asess blame on a rider who was on the racing line and being overtaken? Rossi's entry was deliberately shallow and the corner would have been hard for him to make, had he not used Sete as a berm.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
Lastwatch
Founding Member

Default A Bit out of Context...

Not seeing why this is interview so controversial, outside of the semi-barb on Hodgson's popularity and personality, of which both rate very well with me. On Toseland however, he's dead on. He's less marketable than about 75% of the privateers out there. A great technical racer yes, but television superbike savior? Lord no.

Foggy accurately portrays MotoGP as a viciously expensive and heavily Spanish endeavor (were it not for the novelty of having a Hayden there, I wouldn't even watch) and notices correctly that World Superbike is coming back well with with the involvement of ALL major factories. Please show me where these observations are wrong.

In the context of the interview, please notice this quote

Fogarty insists he would have beaten 'The Doctor' if the two had come head-to-head during his career.

I believe that rules out the notion that he was ready to hop on the Petronas Triple and head to Estoril tomorrow.

"I've always believed in my own ability, and I'd love to be out there now to challenge him," he stated.

Within context, he is being completely respectful of Rossi's dominant skills and wonders how they would rate against his own with an ideal set up. I can't believe this in some ways surprises people. We're talking about a 4 time WSBK champion who is now running his own multibike team. For one, he's earned the right to be a little self assured, for the second, he's supposed to just roll over for somebody he never actually competed against? That would not reflect well on his record or gritty personality.

Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
Lastwatch
Founding Member

Uh, check the official MotoGP website (no link provided because I'm not a shill) and you can pick up an internet broadcast package for a very reasonable price, complete with replays, excellent commentary, no commercials, ie the works.
Lastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
flying_hun
Founding Member

Great idea! Throw Ward and Schwantz into the mix. Too bad Doohan's probably too fragile to join in too.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #18
flying_hun
Founding Member

Default Re: A Bit out of Context...

You make many good points. My reaction may have something to do with not ever liking Foggy in the first place. That said, I don't believe he was even the dominant rider of his era - despite the four championships. I have little doubt that had Foggy joined up with GP and had he ridden the NSR, that Doohan would likely have still wiped the floor with him.

Despite Rossi's antics this past weekend - and I gotta go with Sean on this one (sorry, johnnyb) - Rossi is looking like one of the all time greats. I say that having grown up worshipping at the Holy Mother of Hailwood Sacramental Church. In my own internal calculus, if Rossi is one of the greats, and Foggy was not even the best of his era, my only response to Foggy believing he could beat Rossi is laughter. So maybe it's more about protecting my beliefs than anything else, but still....

That said, Foggy makes some salient points, however give Gibernau his due. He's the only rider during the past two seasons to regularly challenge Rossi. He's not there just cause he's Spanish.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Longride posted a link to a free download of the race on the motogp race 1 news item. At least you get dakar, speed dropped it and we's gots no OLN... 90 channels of crap I dont want though...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #20
mile_eater
Founding Member

Mladin? Seriously? Are you dating Kpaul again?