Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Aftermarket ABS

Thanks for the link.If it works, it would be invaluable in urban riding situations when all-out emergency brakeing would be required. Have you tried it? Perhaps by disconnecting one disc a similiar effect could be achieved. Not for hiway uses of course.

Honda has announced that by 2007 its sport and sport tourer bike will have abs and by 2010 all bike over 250cc will. They don't say as an option or standard but as standard they would be at a competitive disadvantage. Actually they said linked brakes with abs. Wonder why. I believe abs should be mandated on all vehicles. Just the other day I had to stop to avoid hitting a kid on a bicycle with my car and I was really glad it had abs. Of course those riders with the skill of VR will deplore the idea. I think the bike mags are doing a real disservice by ignoring safety issues by pandering to the macho biker syndrome of their readers.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
maladg
Registered Member

The car folks had something similar in late 80's & early 90's for rear only on pickups.

You'll note that NO ONE uses it now and for a good reason.

There is another alternative...do a riding/track school to open up your performance envelope a bit...get the bike you want & STAY inside that envelope...or just get the Beemer.

Final modestly uninformed point: I'll bet someone out there could fit a Honda or Ducati system to whatever you want. And you would not want to pay them to do it either.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
maladg
Registered Member

I believe our own beloved JohnnyB has preached positive about ABS for years as have lots of other scribes. I'd rate the major mags as 65-70% for ABS and about 99% against linked....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
edward44
Founding Member

It's all well and good to talk about staying inside the envelope but what if a vehicle intrudes into that cozy envelope. Bike tests show it takes 30' to stop from 30 mph. What if, as I did, you have 15'. Then what? No amount of track time/school is going to help. I think Honda would not be taking the step of providing abs on all large machines unless there was a good reason.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

ABS isn't going to cut your stopping distance in half.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
edward44
Founding Member

I think the question is of achieving the absolute shortest stopping distance: without abs the skill level goes way up and the possibility of error as well; while with abs (I assume from the data I have read) the optimum results can be achieved more reliably and under the pressure of impending disaster.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
edward44
Founding Member

The tuning process could result in a nasty fall it seems to me. I don't think I could ever trust one considering their obvious low capitalization. Maybe MO could road test the unit as a service to their readers.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Get the R1150R. It's an awesome bike.</p>

I don't blame you if you're hesitant to take my word for it... Here, read what JohnnyB had to say.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

Factory installed and calibrated ABS would help in an emergancy stop. A cobbled together aftermarket system my be less than desirable.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

True. However ABS may enable you to reduce your velocity to a more survivable rate than you would with non-ABS brakes. I'd rather hit an obstacle at 20MPH than 30.

We could just spend more time at the gym and mount broomsticks to fire forward on our bikes.

Or you could install a quick release device on the Geezer Glide that would drop the engine onto the ground on a tether. Sort of like a boat anchor.

How about a parachute pack like on the Space Shuttle?

I've got plenty more ideas if you need them.