Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-02-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Detonation

First Post. Nothing to contribute.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2005, 07:02 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Dude, this is a BRAND NEW bike. This is clearly unacceptable. Something is wrong, and you need to make the dealer figure it out and fix it.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
maladg
Founding Member

Sounds like this one needs a gas analysis job done. Surely there is a shop within a reasonable driving distance that has the equipment. Ask around - club racers are a great source of such info.

I rode a friends CBR100RR back in late Oct. It took my friend and my brother to unfold me from the "ergos"...but WOW - what a rush!

The one I rode sounded like it has detonation, too. See if you can check out another RR....especially if the exhaust gas checks out ok on spec.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

Absolutely, take it to the dealer and get your concerns documented. Keep taking it back until it's right, if you hole a piston you're going to want a mile long paper trail showing you had concerns while the bike is/was under the warranty period and you attempted to get them addressed.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
Pgbexr
Founding Member

This may seem obvious and you may have already done it but scour the web for something on this. There's gotta be a ton of forums and boads devoted to this bike. Those things can be a great source of info on quirky or unusual problems. That was my experience with a site for Suzukis and also Honda V4s.
Pgbexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
giuliom
Founding Member

Obviously, you should take it to the dealer and have it thoroughly checked. I also remember reading somewhere that the Hondas have an exhaust valve in the exhaust system (i.e. not the valve in the cylynder head) that can make a noise similar to this. You should be able to find something by web surfing.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
jibosch
Founding Member

Taking it to the dealer and documenting it, is a great first step. Put the reponsability on Honda's shoulder, not your pocketbook! In the meantime... you might wish to check-out products that contain "Duralt", which is often used for storing fuel for long periods of time, as this usually lowers detonation problems on certain motorcycles, cleans out some carbon deposits, and increases fuel octane slightly. You should be able to find info in the web on this product, including www.duralt.com. Some persons also swear by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I have no experience with this product on Motorcycles, nor do I know if the use of either of these products will void the warranty!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Grum
Founding Member

Even with nothing to contribute you still have the indubitable(?) honour of being first. Well done. Wecome to the MO First Post Club.

Grum
Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
Grum
Founding Member

It's interesting to note that old British bike manuals and texts (eg Phil Irving's "Tuning for Speed") refer to the phenomenon as "pinking" which sounds a little better description than "pinging".

My solution to your problem? Rev it harder.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #10
emxgarcia
Founding Member

Put some toluene in it the gas... about 1/2 a liter for 5 gallons.